+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dimension of the Mind

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    It is cool. I like the thread. I don't want it to be some huge argument either. Just when people claim that they are open minded like boobaa but IGNORE all the facts I present them with.. it gets a bit frustrating you know? I think it is important and a good idea that you think about this yourself lilwing, and figure it out on your own. By the way, if I can still find it....I will tell you the title of this book I read. It wasn't about the brain but rather justifying how the brain causes a self aware identity. It was interesting because it dove into the ideas why we are so different and yet the same in some things. Essentially I think consciousness is not the debate here but our identity is...there is a thin line between the two. As you grow you gain a form of identity and your sense of BEING ALIVE and viewing the world changes and develops. This is why parenting is so important so kids don't get a distorted unrealistic view of the world.
    Thanks OV, I really appreciated the points you shared thus far.

Anxiously waiting for the title of the book

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    When I'm old & my body is dying, I want to be able to upload my consciousness to the internet. Charge around in those RPG game sites & destroy the characters of 'solid' humans, lol.

After I'm bored with that, I think I'll jump into the gal who's on this site & see if I can't help things along:

[url]http://karigirl.com/index.html[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    When I'm old & my body is dying, I want to be able to upload my consciousness to the internet. Charge around in those RPG game sites & destroy the characters of 'solid' humans, lol.

After I'm bored with that, I think I'll jump into the gal who's on this site & see if I can't help things along:

[url]http://karigirl.com/index.html[/url]
    Hahahaha!

No wonder your name is indiereloaded I think you'd make a sexy virtual girlfriend, but that's just me.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    Thanks OV, I really appreciated the points you shared thus far.

Anxiously waiting for the title of the book
    Steiner's 'Evolution of Conciousness'. Just an educated guess.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No wonder your name is indiereloaded.
    Ah, the ways of the LoveFor(um)ce are mysterious. There is an answer young grasshopper, but I won't just hand it to you. You must figure it yourself.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Hey guys, quite the intense thread you got going here.

I haven't been around much lately but this is something the does interest me and I thought I might throw in a few thoughts of my own.

Consciousness. I can't help but notice that alot of the people here seem to think that it is merely a by product of this physical realm we are aware of. Humans are not special? We are just here accidentally?

Personally I find this terribly hard to accept without considering the 'big picture'. By the 'Big Picture' I mean how/why we have come to exist here.

I can guess that some would say that God put us here or maybe the big bang? Or even *insert countless religious beliefs*? Im sure some would say, there is no reason its all just live and die.

The truth is no one knows. The big bang? Where did it come from? Multiverse theory? where did all that come from?

God? Where did god come from? Physical existence/"byproduct awareness" without purpose? Were just cells in a bundle?

There is a trend here, its that everything comes down to a illogical/unexplainable essence. We have our ideas, but like mentioned in the beginning of this thread there is no answer, atleast at this point in man's experience through time and the cosmos. Whose to say that man will never know such things? I don't believe answers to any of these thoughts will surface until man has matured through the eons to discover the deepest and most profounds thuths of our universe and existence.

The best science has to offer is the big bang. I hold alot of respect for science, but science has a LONG ways to go before it can answer all this. Its up to all of us to build on the knowledge.

hmmm.. Its just that there is so many things that we dont know yet... Anything is possible.. You may die, and wake up and realize you have been plugged into a unrealistically advanced machine made to induce multiple life times in seconds.

ok ok lol now this is just silly but my point remains.
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

Jumping to conclusions again?

You can take part, just don't advocate. Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't think. I am quite sick of that.
    aw, 'wing, I really didn't mean to offend you, please believe me. An exchange of views shouldn't be so traumatic.

anyway, I think I've pretty much said what I wanted to put out there ^.^ we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hey guys, quite the intense thread you got going here.

I haven't been around much lately but this is something the does interest me and I thought I might throw in a few thoughts of my own.

Consciousness. I can't help but notice that alot of the people here seem to think that it is merely a by product of this physical realm we are aware of. Humans are not special? We are just here accidentally?

Personally I find this terribly hard to accept without considering the 'big picture'. By the 'Big Picture' I mean how/why we have come to exist here.

I can guess that some would say that God put us here or maybe the big bang? Or even *insert countless religious beliefs*? Im sure some would say, there is no reason its all just live and die.

The truth is no one knows. The big bang? Where did it come from? Multiverse theory? where did all that come from?

God? Where did god come from? Physical existence/"byproduct awareness" without purpose? Were just cells in a bundle?

There is a trend here, its that everything comes down to a illogical/unexplainable essence. We have our ideas, but like mentioned in the beginning of this thread there is no answer, atleast at this point in man's experience through time and the cosmos. Whose to say that man will never know such things? I don't believe answers to any of these thoughts will surface until man has matured through the eons to discover the deepest and most profounds thuths of our universe and existence.

The best science has to offer is the big bang. I hold alot of respect for science, but science has a LONG ways to go before it can answer all this. Its up to all of us to build on the knowledge.

hmmm.. Its just that there is so many things that we dont know yet... Anything is possible.. You may die, and wake up and realize you have been plugged into a unrealistically advanced machine made to induce multiple life times in seconds.

ok ok lol now this is just silly but my point remains.
    While most things can me argued down to relativity and can't be proven as something for sure ..some things have more supporting evidence than others and thus should replace them as the current idea or explanation. The "god" thing, just let it go people...I don't completely accept the Bing bang myself but it for sure as hell makes more sense than god. I still don't understand why some people can not except the infinite universe. By the way, matter was accounted for before the big bang on a energy level. Bing bang was an event and not the creation of the universe, rather the "formation" of the universe.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 27-02-08 at 10:02 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

I think a very interesting question would be "What is considered cosciousness?"

Would alive brain in the box be considered conscious? If it's unable to touch, see, hear, taste and smell.
    Last edited by Mish; 27-02-08 at 10:43 AM.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post

Would alive brain in the box be considered conscious? If it's unable to touch, see, hear, taste and smell.
    Consciousness is the awareness of one's existence through senses and surroundings.

I think all living things are conscious.

Consciousness is the awareness of one's existence through senses and surroundings.

So, in this case would a living brain in the jar unable to sense it's surroundings be conscious?

If yes then awareness through senses is not needed to be conscious. If no then not all living things are conscious.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Plants are not conscious but are alive.

It can be conscious, but it would have one hell of a time trying to prove it.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

hmmmm. I would say yes. as long as it is self-aware. But what if it isn't aware that it is in a box? what if it's being fed a false reality? ahh, the matrix question.

edit: though, I suppose that could be considered cheating, since you said a brain in a box with no outside stimuli. Could a brain even function that way?

how am I doing, 'wing?
    Last edited by Tiay; 27-02-08 at 08:31 PM.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Ah, the ways of the LoveFor(um)ce are mysterious. There is an answer young grasshopper, but I won't just hand it to you. You must figure it yourself.
    Well, I actually know who you were, for one. Who's the grasshopper now? HMM??

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    how am I doing, 'wing?
    Better, interesting point you just shared.

Those are some points for me to ponder throughout the day. I will think about them while I am in class and maybe post my conclusions about them when I get back

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Plants are not conscious but are alive.

It can be conscious, but it would have one hell of a time trying to prove it.
    have you ever gone into the house of somebody who has bad energy, a drug addict, or a depressed person? if they have plants in their house, you can pretty much figure the mental state of the inhabitants by looking at them.

try it for yourself. if someone has plants see if they're happy, reaching for the sky, or if they're wilted and sad. even with sunlight and water a plant will be sad if the energy of the house is sad.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast