+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dimension of the Mind

anachronistic Guest

Dimension of the Mind

So do you think that one's consciousness lies on a dimension other than the dimensions we sense in the physical world? What separates, and what gives the ability to be conscious? Do you think that a mind is a complex form of energy? Do you think that one's consciousness comes into existence through the evolution of energy, caused by a desire? Where does this desire come from? Why does consciousness relate to the physical world?

That's my level of thinking. I would like to further examine these ideas until I have a better understanding of such things. If you can contribute, I would appreciate!

I'm for determinism so as I understand it, it's just electric transmitions in your brain...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The reticular activating system regulates consciousness.
    Last edited by vashti; 24-02-08 at 12:38 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

There is no body, there is only consciousness. Therefore it can't be explained through the imaginary, physical world.
    Don't expect anything.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Actually boobaa, there is a body, and your consciousness is part of that body

anachronistic Guest
    Ooooo, controversial.

So Boobaa argues that in this physical world, the consciousness is given a physical form to explain to he who is conscious.

Vashti suggests that it is completely physical, created by physical phenomena inside the physical brain, thus making it all very physical.

Which one is right? And why?

Well, I think that consciousness perhaps exists somewhere else, and is connected to this physical world through the physical workings of the brain...

The problem is that consciousness itself does not take up a physical form... right?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I know that you'll never find an answer to these questions.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I know that you'll never find an answer to these questions.
    My motto is never say never.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Have you been listening to Ajahn Brahms' podcasts, lol?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Have you been listening to Ajahn Brahms' podcasts, lol?
    No. Am I reinventing the wheel with these questions? I am almost sure I am. Is it worth checking out?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    No. Am I reinventing the wheel with these questions? I am almost sure I am. Is it worth checking out?
    Moment. Have to find it...

Here, just don't take it too seriously. Its religion afterall, tho the ideas are brain stretching for a lark. After a while his talks all start sounding the same (FYI, I've met him, actually; nice fellow ex-physicist as he likes to tell everyone).

May help you to sleep even.

[url]http://www.bswa.org/audio/mp3/Brahmavamso_2004_02_06.mp3[/url]
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 24-02-08 at 01:19 PM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, I think that consciousness perhaps exists somewhere else, and is connected to this physical world through the physical workings of the brain...
    There are theories that our universe is just one of many, connected like 'bubbles' that touch one another. Multiverse theory.

Personally I like the Jukebox theory (i.e. put another dime in the jukebox, baby...)
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

The conscious mind is the product of different systems of the brain working. Like what you see on your monitor. You only get a computer when you have a hard drive, memory RAM(short term) and HD mem(long term). All the things working together in our brain make us have the ability to have a conscious mind. We have to gain memories and thoughts over time in order to actually form one and have a personality. Another dimension? Sounds like more of the "I am human and I want to REALLY believe that we are special" BS. Where was your conscious mind when you were 1 year old...no one remembers that....that is because the hard drive was empty = no conscious mind.

Do the MP3s on the hard drive physically exist? the data itself maybe part of the hard-drive.....the data does not exist...only the hard drive does. The hard drive stops working as the system it was trying to maintain...the data is lost....Just like our conscious mind when the brain stops working.

NEVER even knew this was a debate....neurologists already figured this out long time ago. I can prove that it is the byproduct of the brain...give me a baseball bat and turn around. They have touched parts of the brain and the reactions of the conscious mind are consistent. You touch the memory area and SURPRISE loss of memory.

Why can't the physical workings of the brain be enough? Is it because you can't comprehend the fact that our brain is complex enough to create something like the conscious mind you must create alternate universes and dimensions? Just interesting because you have the right answer in there" the physical workings of the brain"...just the rest is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    There is no body, there is only consciousness. Therefore it can't be explained through the imaginary, physical world.
    On the contrary. There is no conscious, there in only the body. The conscious mind is a by-product of the brain. When you die, your bodies decomposes but never the less still exists in one form or another...your brain dies and your conscious mind never existed in the first place.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 24-02-08 at 01:44 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OV, have you started reading Heinlein yet? You should read 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'. Its not the main plot of the book, but there is a computer who becomes conscious in it. A good story.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    OV, have you started reading Heinlein yet? You should read 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'. Its not the main plot of the book, but there is a computer who becomes conscious in it. A good story.
    Never read it but will take it as a recommendation now. Will look for it next time I am at a book store. I'll look it up online.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast