+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Dishonest

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

I'm Dishonest

After taking the aptitude test, I got back home by about 1pm. Thought about taking the day off, but then Barney called and told me if I wanted to get some hours, I could still come by and work a few.

Once I got there, he told me:

"You got here at 10, and you took an hour lunch. You can go boy scout on me, but I'm just trying to help ya out."

So instead of getting 4 hours, I got 6. That's an extra 20 bucks in my pocket. I just rolled with it. He also exaggerated the time we spent working on Saturday.

This is dishonest, and I'm not even pulling from a faceless corporation, but some stuck up architect. Check by check, week by week.

However, I don't feel that bad about it. I need the money.

Anybody wanna chastise me?

anachronistic Guest
    He ought to roll up one of his architecture plans and beat you mad with it.

Who is it hurting? I see it as a win/win if you ask me. You're probably underpayed anyway.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Its your face in the mirror.

If you don't think you are being paid enough, ask for more money.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Its your face in the mirror.

If you don't think you are being paid enough, ask for more money.
    Nah, I don't really care, especially if Barney doesn't. I was just thinking about that while I was working yesterday. Like, I would normally say I'm an honest person. But that kind of action is very dishonest, in that I'm lying, and also taking advantage of another person...essentially stealing from them.

I cannot believe I'm the only one who has done this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Anybody wanna chastise me?
    Nope.. honestly Fras, your needs vs. his needs..

You're both in some reasonable position to meet your needs.. he didn't take the right action or amount of effort to safeguard his assets.. and you clearly, in effect, worked harder to turn those assets over to you.. it's a battle, a tug-of-war, a conflict of interest between the employer and the employees.. and he failed to not only safeguard his assets, but to keep good records and prevent this type of thing from happening.. (via, seperation of duties which are incompatible for accounting system purposes)

This is the type of thing that happens when an employer or company leaves such flaws open and vulnerable in an accounting system..

As a CPA, I don't judge you Fras.. I judge your boss.. in the worst light possible.. we have a name for people like him (besides "idiots".. "leaky buckets".. and there's nothing wrong with sticking your hands under a leaky bucket, because if you don't.. someone else will.. it's not the hands who are at fault.. that's normal, understandable, natural.. because it's human nature.. it's the owner of the bucket who's at fault, for letting it leak.. and arguably, for tempting the hands..)
    Last edited by GrkScorp; 27-02-08 at 06:15 AM.
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    As a CPA, I don't judge you Fras.. I judge your boss..
    Justification as a means to dispelling guilt?

I'm down with that.

After all, we all know the Jews had it comin'. (Vash might slap me for that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    After all, we all know the Jews had it comin'. (Vash might slap me for that one)
    Actually.. I might slap you for that too..

But it's ok, I don't take my religion or ethnicity too seriously.. in fact, if someone is really Jewish culturally, a large part of our history was comedy and humor.. and part of that was the ability to take misfortune, adversity and basically any situation and laugh at it.. turn it into a joke.. and from that came self-degrading humor.. the ability to laugh at one's self and flaws.. from a comical stand point, and the art of it is catering that humor to an outside audience..

Same thing with My Big Fat Greek Wedding & Meet the Spartans..

I laughed so hard with that "free-society" scene.. "Yes! We're a free society".. and the.. "We'll lead them into narrows! Where their numbers won't count for sh*t!".. and I think I was watching it with this German girl.. (neurobiology-girl).. and I was laughing harder than her.. she asked.. "aren't you Greek? doesn't it bother you? not even a little?"

The answer is "no", because you can't take anything THAT seriously.. it's said with the intention of a joke.. not an insult.. so it's ok.. I'm sure if I was black and someone called me a "n*gger" but as a joke, i'd laugh.. even if he was wearing a white pillowcase over his head with two holes cut out for his eyes and a burning cross in one hand.. Now.. if it was intended to be an insult.. i'd be pretty pissed off.. and if he's by himself, i'd let him have a piece of my mind! but if there's a whole cult of them.. i'd start running..
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm glad you are questioning this, Frasbee. Personally, I find it offensive to blame the employer, although with the wage you are earning, I understand the temptation. Morality is a luxury for those who aren't broke, it seems.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    I like Grk's explanation of this, it's well said.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    As a CPA, I don't judge you Fras.. I judge your boss.. in the worst light possible.. we have a name for people like him (besides "idiots".. "leaky buckets".. and there's nothing wrong with sticking your hands under a leaky bucket, because if you don't.. someone else will.. it's not the hands who are at fault.. that's normal, understandable, natural.. because it's human nature.. it's the owner of the bucket who's at fault, for letting it leak.. and arguably, for tempting the hands..)
    If you mean that you would hold his supervisor responsible I agree, GS. But I would also reprimand the employee.

Fras, we have a saying in management: trust, but verify.

All I can say is that if one of my managers did this, I would replace them asap. I wouldn't necessarily tell them right away that I knew what they had done, tho. Just something to think about.

At the risk of sounding old-fashioned, Fras, here's a saying for you:

Reputation is what others know about you. Honour is what you know about yourself.

It may be just a lousy $10/hr job & so no big deal, that's one way to think about it. Another way is: Is it really worth compromising your morals for a lousy $10/hr job? Not judging you, Fras, just another thing to think about.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 27-02-08 at 08:18 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good, lilwing. Let him take YOUR money.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    What?

______

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Actually.. I might slap you for that too..

But it's ok, I don't take my religion or ethnicity too seriously...
    Well, THAT is obvious, not only from your laughing at Jewish "jokes", but also from your advocacy of taking what doesn't rightfully belong to you.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Exactly.

She's saying, LW, would you want someone like this to manage YOUR money?

GS, lol, its a pity you are so young (23, right--that's a huge amount of management experience, lol), you would have fit in perfectly at Enron.

Consider the source guys.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Exactly.

She's saying, LW, would you want someone like this to manage YOUR money?

GS, lol, its a pity you are so young (23, right--that's a huge amount of management experience, lol), you would have fit in perfectly at Enron.

Consider the source guys.
    Oh. All I said was that I liked Grkscorp's explanation, because it's well-written. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast