+ Follow This Topic

Thread: jacob's ladder

anachronistic Guest

jacob's ladder

i saw bits and pieces, found it interesting. how did i come about it? a remix of rabbit in your headlights... a good quote from the movie is used in there.

the part that i saw that really put me on the edge of my seat was that bit where he is being wheeled in through that really junkie hospital and whatnot.

what are your opinions?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I remember it being a disturbing movie. But I didn't know anything about the biblical references it was alluding to at the time.

I should rent it again.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I remember it being a disturbing movie. But I didn't know anything about the biblical references it was alluding to at the time.

I should rent it again.
    During your pre-professor days?

Yeah it is really disturbing. I must admit, I find the biblical references somewhat amusing. I remember that one quote when the doctor is massaging the main protagonist because he hurt his back, and he says something about how demons are really angels, and it's just a matter of how you look at it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    During your pre-professor days?
    Corporate director, puhleeze. I left academia some time ago. How do you think I am able to jump online during the day?

But to answer your question: I actually did very little outside reading as an undergraduate. My only real hobby was music. Too busy w/classes and exams & working for scholarships. It was pre-college & as a grad student/post doc to present when I did most of my non-academic intellectual pursuits.

So, there IS life after graduation; all those missed books, plays, wine tastings, travel experiences, etc. will still be there afterwards, I promise. And you'll probably appreciate them more.

You will also be better able to afford time & money to these pursuits once you get settled in a career.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Interesting. On a side note, I am thinking about getting my doctorate in German linguistics. I have impressed my German professor by maintaining a 100% in the highest level undergrad German class, as a freshman after only having studied the language for a year. Might as well.

I have stepped away from the graphic design idea.... I just do art because I love to do it. It is still my first major and all, but I am not sure what to do... painting, print making, photo.... and what to do with my German. Maybe teach German? If I get my doctorate, I don't have to worry about a teaching degree. This is the part of school I don't like; figuring out what needs to be done.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    Interesting. On a side note, I am thinking about getting my doctorate in German linguistics. I have impressed my German professor by maintaining a 100% in the highest level undergrad German class, as a freshman after only having studied the language for a year. Might as well.

If I get my doctorate, I don't have to worry about a teaching degree. This is the part of school I don't like; figuring out what needs to be done.
    What does one do with a PhD in linguistics, tho?

Personally, I'd recommend something like the Fletcher School for Diplomacy or something like. Do you like finance? Do a Masters in economics or Int business. Or an MBA (depends on the program tho). Get a job w/the IMF, Deutschbank, the UN... have a relative who is a retired diplomat, great job. There are lots of more interesting things you can do besides teach, LW.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    What does one do with a PhD in linguistics, tho?

Personally, I'd recommend something like the Fletcher School for Diplomacy or something like. Do you like finance? Do a Masters in economics or Int business. Or an MBA (depends on the program tho). Get a job w/the IMF, Deutschbank, the UN... have a relative who is a retired diplomat, great job. There are lots of more interesting things you can do besides teach, LW.
    Teach is what I would do. I do not like finance, but maybe I could move to Germany and teach English or something. I really don't want to have to get an English degree or something though. I would rather teach than go into business.

Maybe I could go to Germany and be a translator for the Bundesland Republik or something.