+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TRYING to lose weight

Few people know, but trust me it's a fact - fruits are acidic, which causes a decaying process when in contact with other foods. Just give it a half an hour at least to digest a little before eating fruit. It may cause serious illnesses like acid reflex or worse off, ulcer. But don't worry, it takes a loooong time to develop these and it depends on your natural acid balance.
    I have it all. Including kino.

But when I say that I wouldn't mind bein' that thin.. is because I ain't thin.. LoL.. I'm just.. Big..
    Blah..

You didn't look fat in your pictures...well except for...how should I put this, what's up with that non-stop pouting? Be careful with the lighting when you take pictures - there's a shadow over your top lip as if you've a moustache or something.
    I have it all. Including kino.

I know.. LoL.. I've noticed that.. Oh well... I guess I'll just stick to my normal Smile.. LoL..

And Oh yeah.. I might NOT look fat in my Pictures.. but I am.. That's why I never take any Pictures that just shows.. My body much..

The bad breath in atkins and other low or no carb diets is due to a massive production of ketone bodies and the body going under what's called ketosis. If you get enough carbs in a day this isn't a problem but obviously atkins folk aren't gonna be the best conversationalists because of that.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha another reason why the atkins diet is a waste of time. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

To reiterate, ketosis is only established during the INDUCTION phase of the Atkins diet. Once over this phase, which only lasts a couple weeks, carbohydrate consumption is resumed, and a ketogenic state is not maintained.

Please be informed before giving advice or passing judgements.

And if you brush your teeth once in a while, your breath won't stink. Perhaps you have hygiene problems as well as being overweight?
    Because a hard man is good to find.

I'm not really sure why you took such offense to my post but jumping all over me is a little childish. Ketosis doesn't just occur with no carb consumption, it also occurs with a controlled carb intake as well. Brushing teeth does not help with the ketones effect on the breath as it is emitted as ketones are released throughout the day. Relax.
    Heit ist mein taug.

everybody's body is different. we react to each substance differently. and there are a thousand ways to lose weight, one method works for one person doesn't necessarily work on another one.

What upsets me is that there are people, people possibly reading this forum, who could benefit IMMENSELY, and make life altering changes for the better by utilizing a diet/lifestyle such as the Atkins diet. Said people are often easily influenced and usually lack the knowledge to distinguish between 'facts' and uninformed hype spewed by people who this diet may not be right for, or by the ignorant mass media in general. Making uninformed blanket statements could possibly dissuade such a person from undertaking what could possibly change their lives for the better, forever.

As a personal trainer, and someone who has helped dozens of people utilize nutrition to achieve their fitness goals, I think the Atkins diet AS IT IS WRITTEN is a wonderful step for someone who has a weight problem. The Atkins book is well written, and extremely informative. The problem is most people, usually the people giving the 'advice', have never bothered to read the book or to understand the theory behind the complete diet, including induction phase, reintroduction of carbohydrates, and maintenance phase which included HEALTHY, low glycemic carbohydrates. These people who are giving false advice , possibly harmfully so, are generally going by second hand information or information based on other 'uninformed' sources.

I take my information from the 4 nutrition classes I am required to take as part of my culinary degree. I wouldn't spew forth any information I hadn't heard from a highly educated nutritionist. If I were to repeat something I just heard from word of mouth or magazines or such crap I would make sure to say "this is what I heard" or "is this true?" The only reasons I was so confident in what I know is because it's required to be drilled into my head for my degree.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Zekk, The only 'fact' you provided that I dispute, (from PERSONAL experience utilizing ketogenic diets and keto-stick to test the presence of ketones in the urine) ketosis can only be established and maintained if carbohydrate intake is kept below approximately 10-20 grams. In fact, non-carbohydrate sources, such as aspartame, can cause the body to 'think' it's getting sugar merely from the taste buds being stimulated. This stimulation will cause the pancreas to release insulin, and a ketogenic state is lost, again from the mere 'sweetness' or a calorie free/carbohydrate free source.

It is true, ketones are excreted through the respiratory system, and bad breath can occur. I've never had a complaint from anyone, including girlfriends, as long as I brush my teeth on a regular basis.

What I do have a problem with, is ANYONE who passes 'judgement' on a diet they have no personal experience with. Have your nutritionist 'teachers' been on a ketogenic diet for any length of time?? Have they prescribed said diets for any of their clients and achieved poor results? I have personally seen dozens of my clients, as well as myself, benefit from the Atkins diet, as well as cyclictic ketogenic diets. Is if for everyone? No, but what is?? My point is to JUDGE NOT without PERSONAL experience.

This is not meant as a personal attack. Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But I'd prefer that your opinion, without the experience to back it up, did not sway the decisions of others.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well, eating a lot of fruits and sweets are supposed to benefit the guy. well actually it will benefit his sperm when your gf goes down on you. raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I didn't mean for it to come off as a judgement. I was simply making a light hearted statement. The diet I was on allowed me 100 carbs per day and I still went through a MILD state of ketosis. I was actually eating probly 30-40 grams and not the full 100. I didn't get any complaints on bad breath either but I knew I wasn't undergoing full ketosis either. Again, I didn't mean to come off as passing judgement against atkins or any low or no carb diets. I lost all my weight by controlling my carb intake and I'm sure certain diets work best for certain people. I just wanted to share what I have had to learn to make sure whomever wants to get the most from this thread hears what different people have to say. I hope I didn't make too many errors or don't make sense or anything because I am COMPLETELY DRUNK.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123