Thanks for nothing, DMass.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bohemiandonut View Post
    Thanks for nothing, DMass.
    Fine I'll respond

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Doesn't mean shit. Noone can measure intelligence in any meaningful way for every society. Its contextual.
    I wouldn't call it contextual at all. That's definitely sugar coating it. It can be measured with some degree of accuracy, such as an average range. I can post a lot of very concrete statistics but won't..

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    The first sentence is likely true. The second sentence, however, doesn't mean shit, for the reason I stated above. Define "intellectual capacity" and have them arguing for years.

I hate soft science, did I ever mention that before??
    The idea isn't to take a COMPLETELY quantitative approach to this, but somewhat qualitative

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    Intelligence is individual... not cultural. That's almost as bad as the KKK.
    The argument in this case is not that it is cultural but more of thing of population genetics. It's not as bad as the KKK which was just a bunch of hate mongers. It's just people look at statistics objectively, the results probably made them feel extremely shitty

Quote Originally Posted by bohemiandonut View Post
    Actually, yes, I think he would ("bow," so to speak). His whole point is that objective data is often viewed as bigoted or just plain evil, which hinders scientific progress. HOWEVER, your second point is correct, Giga. "All" of our policies are not based on the assumption of equality. Just some. To counter Watson, since the data on intelligence is so unreliable, perhaps this is a good thing.

But wait, you stumble across an important point here. These days, most policies ARE "adjusted for data that was collected by white people," in the sense that white people are expected to perform better on standardized tests. This is the whole basis of affirmative action. White advantage. If everyone is so equal, then rather than adjust more, we should abandon adjustment altogether.

By the way, from my perspective, this whole 5 dollar footlong deal is the best adjustment in social policy to come around since - actually this pretty much trumps em all.
    Wow donut, you've been at Berkeley how long and those assclown libs haven't convinced you of utopia yet. Congrats!
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 18-04-08 at 07:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12