+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Picking up girls on a train - awkward?

Picking up girls on a train - awkward?

Hello. I'm 16.

I catch two trains to get to school and there is a particular female student who I am rather attracted to. We have caught eyes and all, but I've never taken it any further. Yes, this will sound sad. But on a train, it's usually silent and EVERYONE is listening to other peoples conversations. I mean, I have nothing to lose, I will make an attempt at some stage, but any advice would be greatly appreciated as I already really like this girl.

Ladies, if you were in her position, what would you want?

Thanks heaps.

Okay, you don't want to use any crummy chat up lines for one

Try and find something that you both have in common, and start talking to her as a regular person...try not to let on that you find her attractive! Even if it's something in the newspaper, or her model of phone. Just get talking! It's the hardest part, but you've made that first step, it'll all be plain sailing...ish

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Try not to worry about other people on the train listening in on your conversation. Unless you are talking too loud, most people are infinitely more interested in their own thoughts than what some stranger is talking about.

Of course, if you are still worried, you could pass her a note:

Do you want to go out sometime? (check one)

__ yes

__ no

__ we should really talk first so I can decide.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well since you're on a train she won't be able to run away

I was going to say the note thing, too, vash. I like the third option.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Try not to worry about other people on the train listening in on your conversation. Unless you are talking too loud, most people are infinitely more interested in their own thoughts than what some stranger is talking about.
    Even if you're talking too loud.., you could care less about other people.. (just.. be considerate.., but don't be THAT loud.., such that the whole train can not only hear you.., but not talk over your voice)

What other people think about you.., is none of your business.., and I can guarentee you.., that when you're talking to her.., nobody will say anything to you.., so there's no reason to care what other people are thinking.., it's as if they don't even exist.., (they're not going to interact with you.., so for all practical purposes.., they don't exist).., other people don't matter..

As for starting a conversation on the train with someone who's not even that much of a stranger to you.., it may be easier than you think..

"Are you in my ___? You looked familiar.., ahh.., i'm so bored.., I just realized that trains are so boring.., they should try and make them "fun-er" (make up words btw.., it can be your inside-joke or personal phrase that only the two of you understand around other people.. helps create comfort and familiarity).., like put flat screens up or something.., or at least some music.., it's so boring.., well.., I think it's boring anyway.., I think it's strange to see people sitting next to one another.., and not even talking.., what are they thinking about? I'm a guy.., so I know i'm not alone.., I know what every other guy is thinking about.., our favorite topic.., "nothing".., but I have no idea what everyone else is thinking about.., how do you make it past the ride every day?"

In conversation:

- "Are you going somewhere important today? (her: no.., why?) Nothing.., I just saw your shoes.., they look like really good shoes to just be wearing casually for everyday shoes.., especially on the train.. People always step on my shoes.., so if i'm taking the train.., I never wear good shoes.., because in one trip.., they'll be destroyed"

Be the first to end the conversation:

- "anyway.., we'll talk some other time.., bye" (short and simple.., and your voice and facial expression should project the word "sorry".., as if you're saying sorry over the fact that you have to leave her now.., implying she's at some loss now that you're no longer there)..

Best,

GrkScorp
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    I was going to say the note thing, too, vash. I like the third option.
    Note:

If you're doing something important right now.., and can't talk.., just circle any odd number:

6... 2... 4... 8...
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Drop your books right in front of her. It will give you and excuse to linger in her general area while you pick them up and you can start a conversation that goes something like, "Oh, of all the people I had to drop my books in front of, it had to be you. Now you know I'm goofy. Oh well, at least now you know my secret and I don't have to hide it any more."

If she doesn't think that's cute, save yourself some trouble and avoid her in the future because she's no fun.
    Spammer Spanker

Thanks ladies and gents.

I like the dropped books one, sharp and simple.

Sorry to bother you, but If your not busy, can I ask you a question?
    I've been looking over my notes, I someone to test me on what know, so I can figure out what to focus more on.
    Can you test me, for 10 minutes of your time?
    I would appreciate.

I was intrigued by the title of that book that your reading.
    I want to start a new book after the one I'm reading, but need some suggestions.
    Can you give me a brief summary of what the book is about so far?

I was talking with one of my friends, and he suggested this method to approach women........ what do you think about this?

I thought it was awkward that I took the train to high School, i guess i'm not alone
    It takes me about .... from .... to get to School, how about you?

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

"Sorry to sorry you, but I'm sorry, could I, possibly, out of pure pity, be allowed to talk to you? Or, really sorry for this, just hear you give a brief synopsis of your reading material?" - Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by bohemiandonut View Post
    "Sorry to sorry you, but I'm sorry, could I, possibly, out of pure pity, be allowed to talk to you? Or, really sorry for this, just hear you give a brief synopsis of your reading material?" - Works every time.
    I can see her face right now...completely dumbfounded.

"Hi, there is a safe full of money in one of the first wagons, can you help me steal it? We'll split the money 20/80... I'll take the 80..."