+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you like your coffee? What does it tell about you?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I like to consider myself a bit of a coffee snob/conoisseur (I was a former manager at two specialty coffee places) I prefer Americanos (Espresso shots with hot water) because it is simply far superior to brewed coffee.

I also either prefer it with cream and sugar....real cream, not that 'creamer' shit that has no actual dairy in it. My addiction at the moment is a double shot of espresso poured over ice and topped up with cream. Holy shit, it's fantastic.
    Why don't you consider starting up your own coffee shop/lounge Blue?

Best,

GrkScorp
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    as long as it's not bitter i will drink it. however, i'm more much of a cold coffee drinker.. unless it's winter that is.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How do I like my coffee? Same way I like my women: black and bitter.

Actually, I don't often drink the stuff, but when I do I like it with a big heap of sugar, tons of milk and a splash of brandy. Basically I prefer the coffee flavor utterly drowned out.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    Why don't you consider starting up your own coffee shop/lounge Blue?

Best,

GrkScorp

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually considered it for a long time.....I just have to come up with a concept that would give me SOME kind of edge over the six Starbucks and four Tim Hortons Coffee that dominate the lives of the people in my little city of 100,000 people.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    How do I like my coffee? Same way I like my women: black and bitter.
    I heard that somewhere before...

I really don't like coffee, or the smell of it.

My bf however, has a chocolate coffee with 3 sugars. guess that means hes got a sweet tooth.

it was in some programme - coffee leads to sex, and thats why there is a starbuck on every street in America.

where a tea drinking nation. And a hot cuppa cha is good in the morning
    Gee..I thought I saw a pussycat. ~PCD

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually considered it for a long time.....I just have to come up with a concept that would give me SOME kind of edge over the six Starbucks and four Tim Hortons Coffee that dominate the lives of the people in my little city of 100,000 people.

Hmm.., business concept.., not my department.., you should try Goose or Tiay next time they're on..

I'm sure you can offer what they both lack.., "lounge".., seriously.., they are both coffee shops.., you walk in.., get your coffee.., and sit down on some table.., great..

But what about walking in.., and sitting down on a couch? Yeah.., I know.., at first it doesn't seem like a major change.., so what? What's so special about the couch? Well.., for one.., the success behind lounges is that you walk in.., have your coffee.., and just relax.., pick up magazines that talk about the history of coffee.., or tea.., etc (whatever you serve.., it promotes your brand and makes it look high value.., indirectly).., and it's an excuse to just walk in and sit down.., which means.., it's also motivation to come back.., claim one's favorite couch or area.., and keep comming back.., be it to read.., or just sit there with friends.., or to study.., whatever..

The issue with the Starbucks downstairs is that the tables are too small.., and so are the chairs.., I can't sit there for too long.., I start to get uncomfortable.., it feels like a coffee shop.., not like a relaxing living room area where I can just have my coffee in and just chill out..

The concept isn't original.., you should take a trip over to Greece.., Starbucks can't survive in Greece.., because its business concept/model can't compete.., it's inferior.., against the cafe'/lounges.., someone walks in.., sits down.., claims a table to themselves.., sits down.., couches all over the place.., calls up his or her friends.., they come over.., and for the whole day.., they can litterally be sitting down.., ordering coffee.., and drinks.., and simple snacks (fries.., etc)..

All you need to look at then is any competative advantage Starbucks has over the proposed business.., and the only one that really comes to mind.., is "quality of coffee".., they spend millions every year to convince people that their coffee is the best.., maybe it is.., maybe it isn't.., that's something that the customers can see for themselves.., So truth be told.., you get high quality coffee.., get creative with it.., and use your imagination to come up with some unique as well as general coffee drinks.., and bam.., now Starbucks has nothing on you.., they can't compete from any angle.., I'm not familiar with the other coffee shop you're talking about.., but i'm guessing it won't be able to match up either..

Plus.., you can pack an edge.., the "underdog" edge.., the new cafe'/lounge that is a unique concept.., high quality.., not overpriced.., and really a relaxing & classy venue to go to.., which is not part of some giant corporate structure.., it's the town's pride and joy.., even an attraction.., where ordinary people can come in.., sit down.., relax.., and not just drink their coffee.., but "feel" as if they're learning about coffee.., the place will simplify that information and make it available to them.., easy to digest.., make them feel more intelligent when it comes to coffee drinking.., (and would you look at that! you can carefully select and craft the information in such a way as to make them feel.., and reach a personal opinion and belief on their own.., that the coffee you are offering is far better than anything else they've had.., indirectly and covertly.., being very very subtle about it)

That marketing concept is inspired from a water tasting shop nearby.., yes.., you find all sorts of crazy places in NYC.., litterally $400 350ml bottles of water.., yeah.., and the place does an amazing job of making you feel like it's worth it.., it just has all this information available.., makes you feel that the water you're drinking is fine.., but this water is just so great.., but they don't really push that idea onto you.., they just let that passively sink in.., until you come to that thought process yourself.., and think.., "let me try some of this water and see what it's all about".., so then you try.., and you think "mmm.., wow.., this water is amazing.., it's so clean.., and pure.., and rich.., smooth".., and you're hooked.., and you almost can't resist the urge to take a bottle home and feel like you know the difference between good water and regular water.., and if you don't snap out of it.., you might just fall into that buying trance.. (I was tempted to get a bottle for myself.., but that would just be a criminal waste of money).., though their whole marketing concept stayed with me.., and what do you know.., it's finally found a use..

I really think that if you know enough about good coffee.., and have the creativity and imagintion to come up with something great Blue.., you should definitely do it.., and look into it more..

Best,

GrkScorp
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate coffee snobs.

They're so gay.

The best part of wakin' up, is Folgers in youuuur cuuuup!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was pretty surprised when I was working in a tracheostomy home care facility - they had folgers (drip) coffee there, and it was pretty damn good! All this time buying expensive brands, and the Folgers was fine! What an idiot I am.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you like coffee, but don't like decaf, chicory or a coffee/chicory blend is a great alternative.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I take my coffee 2/3 decaf, 1/3 regular these days.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I take my coffee 2/3 decaf, 1/3 regular these days.
    Have you ever tried chicory?

It's delicious.

In fact, in some cases I prefer the flavor of chicory over coffee. I could send you some if you have any interest and no access in California.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't even know what that is, Frasbee. Where do you get it? I should try some.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Try any specialized coffee shop.

However, New Orleans has a lot. Chicory was/is a commonly used coffee substitute during times when coffee was hard to come by. Try looking up "Cafe Du Monde" coffee/chicory blend. It's in a bright yellow orangish can. My dad buys them in Philly, maybe you have them there in California?

Otherwise, if you're interested, I will send you a batch of the local blends.
    Last edited by Junket; 10-05-08 at 05:55 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks, Fras. I'll check it out at the market. I've never seen it in a coffee shop before...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast