+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you giving up small pleasures for sake of filling up your gas tank?

Are you giving up small pleasures for sake of filling up your gas tank?

I cannot believe the bs we as Americans are having to deal with today. My hubby has been saying this was coming for over a year and I've laughed at him. Gas is 3.69 here in Sarasota. I don't think Ive given up anything, maybe one less pedicure a month. But damnit enough is enough. I do find it scary though. We just bought my jeep what 3 weeks ago and this week they announced a 2.99 gas card for 3 years, bitches won't give it to us because it was bought before the time period.

And the price of food has sky rocketed here too. Give me a break, 9 bucks for a gallon of milk at whole foods.
    What's wrong this picture?
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

9 dollars is around £4 - milk here is about £2.

petrols gone up..and up..and up but house prices are dropping at like 0.000001%.

i passed my driving test and have no intention of buying a car. it costs too much
    Gee..I thought I saw a pussycat. ~PCD

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley View Post
    I cannot believe the bs we as Americans are having to deal with today. My hubby has been saying this was coming for over a year and I've laughed at him. Gas is 3.69 here in Sarasota. I don't think Ive given up anything, maybe one less pedicure a month. But damnit enough is enough. I do find it scary though. We just bought my jeep what 3 weeks ago and this week they announced a 2.99 gas card for 3 years, bitches won't give it to us because it was bought before the time period.

And the price of food has sky rocketed here too. Give me a break, 9 bucks for a gallon of milk at whole foods.
    It's temporary.., but it is still sad.., I remember in middle school.., my math teacher was trying to make an example up in class.., and said:

Teacher: So.., how much does gas cost? Like $2 a gallon?
    Me: Really? I thought it was $4
    Teacher: If gas was $4 a gallon.., i'd walk

Well.., in NYC it's $3.89 and nobody is "walking".., we do have the subway though.., that's a huge plus.., for $81.., you get a monthly (30-day) metro-card.., that's unlimited.., both for the subway and the bus.., and you can get around almost anywhere.., on an average month.., it comes out to less than $1.20 per trip.., in total though.., it just makes sense to use the subway.., $81 a month versus having a car.., and don't just count gas.., but insurance.., repairs.., tickets & fines.., perhaps the actual cost of the car through time.., etc.., and you can be way over that $81/month mark..

I actually feel really REALLY bad for anything who HAS to drive.., NYC does its part though.., to stick it to the energy companies..

Best,

GrkScorp
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Complain to your politicians, Squirrley. The reason is that farmers are switching to maize for ethanol, which means less for feeding cows. The jump is pretty sudden & steep tho. Definitely some cream-skimming going on.

There is an alternative. Ethanol from countries like Brazil costs less (they don't use corn). But the US likes to protect her own interests & charges a ridiculous import tax. You get what you ask (or vote) for, in other words.

And hell, yes, stop using your cars people.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can't.

I have to drive about 30 miles at least Monday to Friday.

It was a thought when we bought the commander, maybe go with a hybrid, but the tax benefits outweighed at the time. I personally no longer vote. Don't know if I should admit it but I have come to the conclusion MY vote in the long run does NOT mean crap. I'm sitting here watching Fast Money, and in the corner I see oil still rising.

I have to explain why I feel the way I do at this point. My husband is a advid reader and is so up to date on everything and watches and reads articles from everywhere, hence our conversations, hence a closet full of food. He has convinced me and I believe it now seeing what's happening, that what he's been saying is coming true. Stemming back to 911, all the conspiracy theories, etc. Why we have so many troops based around the world(where there is oil). It's like the game Risk. We have to drive 22 miles each way to work. This last week I've seen things done in our county that peeves me. They ripped up a sidewalk and placed a new one, WTF? They've been taking down miles of trees along the interstate of 75 which is now stockpiled along the highway, tinderbox waiting to happen. WHY our county has been laying people off left and right but we have the money to replace a sidewalk where no one walks.

One of our favorite restaruants is closing tomorrow because of the cost of food. He doesn't want to pass that cost onto his customers. It's happening in so many places. Our housing market is one of the worst in the country. I guess I'm blown away that our government knows what is happening and probably could do things to change it but why don't they? Those families which are middle class or lower class how in the hell are they going to be able to afford daily needs? I bet gas will hit $5 a gallon before summer. I have seen plenty of gas stations with bags over their pumps this past week.

I told Chris we should start a boycott on gas. Just one day not one consumer purchase gas, what would happen? Or even 2 days? Wouldn't that say something??? What do you guys think?

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I told Chris we should start a boycott on gas. Just one day not one consumer purchase gas, what would happen? Or even 2 days? Wouldn't that say something??? What do you guys think?
    Probably not ... I've gotten e-mails about not buying gas, but it'd end up on dates where I didn't plan to buy gas in the first place. We're just the bottom feeders of society ... there are still plenty of people that can afford to pay extra for gas.

gas prices are driving me nuts also ... over $4/gallon in S.F. ... when having to fill up a 20 gallon tank, it breaks my wallet pretty bad. I remember in high school, I could buy 2 gallons of gas and a pack of cigs for $5. Now, I have to choose one or the other ...

as for food shortages ... we have a rice shortage here and the price has even gone up! Good lord ...
    Last edited by tooxshort; 10-05-08 at 06:03 AM.
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Oh Too-my hubby has bought over a hundred pounds of rice. Sams has limited the amount you can buy now. And one of the bulk stores he buys from, they've put out a notice most goods are now on backorder.

You consumption of gas.., will have an impact.., but the majority of the energy consumption comes from you (indirectly).., either through electricity (home appliances).., or industry (products & services) you buy..

No matter how you look at it.., you can't avoid it..

I thought what was comical was New York State Senator Chuck Schumer's proposal to Congress.., about our "solution" to our gas crisis.., "two words.., Saudi Arabia! I ask Congress to ban a weapons agreement to the Saudis unless we see lower oil prices.., and then we'll see how fast prices drop under $3 before the summer".., nice one genius.., let's make threats at the Saudis.., and right after they laugh.., now that our army is battered and in ruins.., now that we are almost politically hostile towards the rest of the world.., that the rest of the world (with the exception of a select few counties) sees us as an international evil.., let's make threats and destroy the relationship with the one country that has the power to actually increase oil production in the short-run.., (Harvard LAW buddy.., not Business School.., leave such things to Economists & Political Scientists)

As an economist though.., i'm actually thrilled with the outrageous gas prices.., and trilled in the most positive of ways.., that's right..

In economics.., it's all about incentives.., you can pass all the laws you want.., for automobile makers to make cars more fuel efficient.., for companies to start conserving energy.., and for researchers to find more efficient and financially feasable alternative sources of energy.., but unless it makes "sense" to (benefit > cost).., that just doesn't happen.., none of that process starts falling into motion..

Now however.., gas & oil prices will impose a serious short-run AND long-run cost to almost every industrial sector.., every business.., and every consumer.., They really are.., over the top.., unreasonable.., and no longer a cheap source of energy.., and with both financial and environmental incentives in place.., you're going to see this.., (cost > benefit).., and you're going to see more fuel efficient cars (because consumer demand for less fuel efficient cars will be so low.., and demand for more fuel efficient cars will control).., you're going to see more "green" appliances, offices & homes.., and more importantly.., you're going to see a lot more developments in alternative energy..

The US is actually blind when it comes to the political strategy of the Middle East.., the middle east could care less about revenue from oil.., it actually hasn't increased the price of oil.., the middlemen have.., both American & European companies.., all it refuses to do.., is increase the production of oil.., (light.., sweet & crude).., which would not really bring the price of oil down.., it would only reduce the cost at which these companies have to pay for oil.., but they don't set the price of the finished good.., "gas".., and the price would unlikely change.., so the only thing they would be doing by increasing production.., is increasing the profits of American & European companies.., to add to that.., they actually want to destroy any economic incentives Americans may have to still be involved in the Middle East.., that's right.., they actually WANT oil to be less valuable.., and America out of the Middle East.., because when America is no longer interested in the Middle East.., that leaves one little nation in the Middle East defenseless.., so it's actually a long-run goal to find alternative forms of energy.., and for the Middle East.., the time couldn't be more perfect to give "exactly" those kinds of incentives to the U.S.

You can't let the little things distract you.., you have to look at the whole picture.., and in the long-run.., the U.S. doesn't really have a choice.., they're in no position to make an other grand military assault.., (both because of a weak military that needs rebuilding.., and because of international pressure).., but also.., because the economy is actually rebuilding now.., domestic issues control.., politically.., for the next 8 years.., you're not likely to see the US be too involved in the Middle East.., international markets (inclusive of the US) will adjust.., they have no choice in the matter..

If you want to "boycott" gas.., then the way to do that.., is by taking away any demand you have to products or services which are (not fuel efficient).., and increasing your demand for products or services which are (fuel efficient)..

Examples:

- Buying an SUV with low gas milage.., is not boycotting gas
    - Buying a hybrid or even a car with high gas milage.., is boycotting gas
    - Turning off your computer and unplugging electrical devices
    - Buying "green" devices or "mobile" processors
    - Installing solar pannels on your home.., etc

When you look at what that means.., when you increase the demand for things that require less gas.., and decrease the demand for things that require more gas.., you are in effect.., creating positive incentives.., for more fuel efficient products & services to enter the market.., and things not fuel efficient to exit the market.., and by doing so.., you reduce and significantly decrease the demand for gas..

That is how you.., we.., the average consumer.., can help do our part.., not directly.., but indirectly.., we can all make a difference.., and it will count.., the only ones who have to lose.., are gas companies.., the only ones who have to gain.., is everyone else..

Best,

GrkScorp
    Last edited by GrkScorp; 10-05-08 at 06:48 AM.
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

You make me sick with that whine. Prizes this prizes that, you just bought a new car, wtf, you have enough. its about time you Americans stop wasting everything! [url]http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/6/9/161923.shtml[/url]

About cars. Everybody, here in Europe, is talking about cars running on vegetable oils... But that does bring a huge rise in food prices because half of the food producers, crop fields, are now going for those oils... There is going to be less food and more children are going to die in hunger in 3rd world. I'd say its about time to move on to hydrogen, but of course, string pullers have got other plans -- economical crisis for example, from which they can make great bucks and increase their power.

And the prize of everything is going up pretty fast because packages are mostly made of black oil. Even though fuel companies exaggerate with their rise, because its a good time to make bucks.

Here in Europe, we don't have to buy cars to get by, everything is small and reasonable.
    Last edited by boobaa; 10-05-08 at 09:22 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

Trifles.....

Squirrely, don't buy your milk at Whole Foods! Those stores rip you off! Go to ShopRite!

I don't have to give up on small pleasures because of gas prices, because I am usually very cheap. I'm always safe with my money. Small pleasures can be free!

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Isn't gas in Italy at like $8 a gallon? And the same for a lot of other European countries. It's not just the US, gas is damn expensive for everyone

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wish everything was small and reasonable here.

I get around by bike locally, but I need to drive 30 miles a day for work.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I wish everything was small and reasonable here.
    You're small and reasonable ... and you're my everything ...
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast