+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drinking Age

anachronistic Guest

Drinking Age

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-20-drinkingage_N.htm[/url]

Someone said to me, once, that the reason why the drinking age is 21, is to prevent alcohol-induced car accidents. What's your opinion?

Read that article. By the time they pass it, in my state, if it passes, I will probably be 21 anyway. Country full of greedy hypocrites, y'know.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've been arguing the exact same thing. If a man is old enough to be shipped off to some shithole of a country to die for another man he's sure as **** old enough to drink a beer.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    And if a man is able to drive a car, he should know when NOT to drive a car. It's just like blaming weapons for murder, instead of bad decision making.

I think it's only a matter of time before government decides how ineffective their laws have become. Drinking age doesn't do much. Illegal weaponry? HA, well my friend Al sure gets a kick out of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    What's your opinion?
    Hmm.., this reminds me of changing the voting age from 21 to 18 during the Vietnam era.., "boys out there old enough to get killed by bombs.., see their friends gutted and die in their arms.., serve their country and ready to give up their lives.., old enough to shoot a gun.., and these are the same boys we think aren't old enough to vote?"

I think drinking is a step down from voting.., 18 is reasonable..

Best,

GrkScorp
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Sending a man into war before the age 21 is wrong thing. Have you ever heard about the film "Generation Kill"? Even reading some posts in this forum posted by certain members is a proof that some people don't deserve guns. You know, some Estonians are in Iraq too, therefore I have heard stories of Americas kids stupidity, like playing football in the orange zone without helmets and everything until the fire came. Guess who did they blame?
    America is also one of the few places where driving is permitted to 16 year old kids... Now that can be argued whether it is stupid or not, but young kids often like to test their limits, see if they are man enough. But then again, being able to drive a car is a useful thing.

America is very weird.
    Last edited by boobaa; 12-05-08 at 06:46 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think it's stupid to give a kid a driver's license at 16, too (which is when it's legal in Canada). However, our legal drinking ages range between 18 and 19 from province to province. I don't understand the concept of a legal drinking age of 21, yet being allowed to drive, vote, go to war, and own a gun before that age. Just stupid. Most people have had a drink before 21 anyways. I know I sure as hell had one before our legal age of 18. We get a lot of young Americans that just come up to Canada to drink, anyways......so what is the point of this law? I think it should just be changed already.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I think it's stupid to give a kid a driver's license at 16, too (which is when it's legal in Canada). However, our legal drinking ages range between 18 and 19 from province to province. I don't understand the concept of a legal drinking age of 21, yet being allowed to drive, vote, go to war, and own a gun before that age. Just stupid. Most people have had a drink before 21 anyways. I know I sure as hell had one before our legal age of 18. We get a lot of young Americans that just come up to Canada to drink, anyways......so what is the point of this law? I think it should just be changed already.
    We get our driver licenses at 14 here.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, now that's just ridiculous.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Oh, now that's just ridiculous.
    I got my driver license at 16. I lost my virginity in the same year. Tell ya somethin'?

Speak of the devil, something needs to be done about all these young kids fcuking. But not really.

WHAT THE ****??? 14 year olds haven't even braken the voice yet, never mentioning the level of reasonable and adequate thinking...
    Oh, and virginity has nothing to do with driving.

Btw, you do know how to drive manual, right?
    Is there an age limit for final expert exams also, or is it just that you have to do the expert test after driving a year under the kiddie sign?

The real reason they let kiddies go to Iraq is that they need soldiers... Its the final time when people are easily influenced. Why do you think they did the game Americas Army?
    Last edited by boobaa; 12-05-08 at 07:14 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    WHAT THE ****???
    The ****ed up thing, is that, the first time I drove an automobile, was when I was two.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    when you really think about it, people will drink regardless of their age. how many of you started drinking before you were 21??

i know i was surrounded by liquor before exiting high school.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Drinking was something my parents and family expected of me to some extent. I got rum for Christmas when I was a freshman in high school from them, Bacardi Superior 80 proof. I also got a gun that same year. It is kind of from my dads side of the family where that is expected of the boys

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i think the first beer that i touched was the bottle that my father told me to get him. i can't wait to have a server...err i mean children.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    when you really think about it, people will drink regardless of their age. how many of you started drinking before you were 21??

i know i was surrounded by liquor before exiting high school.

raverboy

Exactly. If the age is lowered, the real drinking age is lowered also. And then there would be all kinds of stupid kids drinking.

Shure I had beer wayyyyy before the legal age, but that doesn't justify anything. The thing that bothers me, is that fathers from your culture teach boys how to drink and be a rough man, but never teach how to think.
    Don't expect anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast