+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Growing Apart?

Growing Apart?

I'm troubled... we've been together in a relation for over 3 years now. We met when i was just starting as a university student and he was too studying. I'm still studying and he dropped out a while back without a bachelor degree (cant blame him on that) i did tell him even when he already knew everything there was to learn the degree comes useful while searching for a job.

Later on he took a course to get certified on something related. He was one of the best students on his class as usual. He didn't pass the certification test the first try so he said he would work for money to pay them again and meanwhile study the stuff he failed at. He's been working for over 6 months now. Y aqui empieza la cosa (here is where it starts).

He first started hating his job as one usually does when it is something different than your area of studies. Recently he started to talk a lot about his job, the people there, he has a lot of new friends there. It has actually became about 70% of what he talks about when we're together. The other night he was talking about it emocionao' (excited?) and maybe it wasnt the best thing to say but i said it.

"you should find some time to study for the certification test, i haven't seen you doing that in months". I mean he can already pay for those tests. And when he gets the certification he will get a WAY better job, doing less than what he's doing right now and making more money (i dont give a **** about money). He actually got angry at me so i changed the subject.

I'm a woman that sets goals and even if it takes me a lifetime i will pursue them. I thought he was like that too. Apparently not that much so there's where being a couple pays off. Her grandmother also told me to give him the little push. I cant explain what's happening. He used to know and talk about so much stuff even when he wasn't in university we would talk about everything going on in the world and whatnot. I dont like this "more than half of the time" talk about his job and friends there. I do like he's happy there and that he has new friends (even females friends, and there's even this one he talks a lot on the phone but i dont give him shit about it because i'm trying to understand). But one cant throw away goals and everything you ever wanted to do because of that.

I really dont know what to do or how to make the approach so that he understands.
    Last edited by herself; 15-05-08 at 12:00 AM.

I think the title of your thread is totally appropriate. It looks to me like you're about to outgrow him and he's not going to like it one bit.
    Spammer Spanker

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think you are lucky you recognized this lack of motivation before you did something dumb (like marry him). Get out now while you can.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I'm kind of like this guy who started to Work in a specific field and now I want to forget about it and try something new.
    My motivation atright now is, that i want to do something that i'll enjoy for a long time.
    The real estate field could be a good change from the current General Machining that I'm doing now.
    I might be 24 now, but first i have to be happy with what i'm doing and have the finances to live on my own, before trying to settle down with someon else.

P.S. I'm glad that you Noticed this trait about him and hopefully it works out for you in the future.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

meh, i talked to him about it already. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt (for a month or two) that he actually took it seriously... but it appears to me that he didn't.

He first said that he wast just wondering why i didn't tell him about it sooner. Then i told him it wasn't something going through my mind months ago nor anything like that. Then he said he hasn't forgot about "the main plan" but he does recognize he's holding back. And after that he just went like "check this out" (see it for yourself) [url]http://manbabies.com/[/url]

I hope i'm wrong.
    Last edited by herself; 16-05-08 at 09:39 AM.