+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: boobaa et al.

Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    do realize.., some men actually "like" to take care of the home they live in.., and keep it neat and orderly.., and though there are some.., the proud.., the few.., unlike those few.., most men actually love their children.., I remember reading some garbage book that my brother picked up.., I immediately came across the phrase.., "her children".., read the context under which it was used.., and took the book away..., they're not "her children" or "his children".., they're "their children" or "his and her children".., and they're both "parents".., and like good parents.., have a genuine love for their children.., and want to be there and care for them.., and give them the best..
    Yes, I did mention that there are some men that likes to do things that women were traditionally expected to do. But I will have to bring up the fact that even in the "modern era", most women in the world were still expected and in fact do still take up traditional womenly roles (for example, even if women do work outside of the home, they were still expected to do chores at home and there are probably more housewives than a male homemaker).
    See: sexual harassment
    See: sexual assault
    See: rape
    (different charges)
    Yes. They differ in degree/intensity but they originate from the same root.

It wouldn't be "nice".., as if to imply some "luxury".., it would be "just".., a victim is a victim.., irrelevant of many things like age.., race.., religion.., ethnicity.., etc.., but sex is one of them.., When a man has children.., and wants to take time off from work.., to spend time with his children.., what the workplace is telling him is.., "I know you want to be a good father.., and that you love your kids.., and want to spend time with them.., but because you're a man.., we don't feel that's important.., sorry.., now get back to work.., Sarah has maternity leave for the next 6 months.., we need you here".., it's both insulting and unconscionable to hold a genuine belief.., that a father does not care and love his children as much.., to want to spend time with them once he becomes a parent.., once they are born..
    The difference lies in that women is the one who actually needs to get pregnant and give birth. It's absolutely neccessary for the women to have maternity leave. Just by merely having the excuse to take care of the children does not cut it. If that excuse makes up the basis for the maternity leave then why not have 10 years, or until the child goes to university (19 or 20 years) of maternity leave? Have you checked the maximum number of weeks of maternity leave? In Canada, its 24 weeks maximum. Mothers need maternity leave because they need the period to recover from pregnancy (its for medical reasons). However, paternity leave would be "nice" and a "luxury" to help out the mother (except in rare cases where there are intense medical complications from the pregnancy and there are no other available relatives to help out). Paternity leaves are just not as necessary as maternity leaves because they don't get pregnant. Seriously, for practical reasons, not only is it not in par with cultural norms but if paternity leaves were to be available for all males then there would be a high rate of unemployment which in turn would be bad for the economy.

As for harassment.., (not sexual assault or rape).., men are no less a victim than women.., most however feel that nobody would take them seriously if they went ahead with a case.., and the reason they feel that way.., is because the success rates for those who do file.., are almost like those of playing the lottery.., when someone is a victim of a crime.., no matter what he or she is.., that person deserves protection under the law.., not under gender bias..
    You mentioned that men don't file for complaint because they feel they won't be taken seriously. In that case, then its the men who are bias against themselves (that wouldn't be anyone else's fault). You also said that the success rates are like playing with the lottery. I don't really understand what you are saying. Under the law, everyone regardless of sex is protected for sexual harrassment and the judges are intensly screened for biases. Do you have a case study that shows this bias? I understand sometimes you hear people talking about a case which on the surface sounds like the judge made an unfair decision but those people don't really know the case at all or know the details of it.

I think you have the right intentions. But you need more specific examples to back up your claim. And because (from my understanding) not only did you argued that one specific case reflect gender bias but you've made a grand claim that law and court decisions reflects gender bias, you need a significant number of cases to back up your claim (thats for the sexual harrassement case).

How serious are you about this gender bias thing? Are you considering lobbying for it? Or are you just talking about it on loveforum? If you are serious, you need a stronger argument.
    Last edited by lastwish; 27-05-08 at 02:58 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234