+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone suffer PMS that bad?

Don't quote me on this, but apparently PMS is all psychological (not the physical pain, but the mood swings and bitchiness). Women have been conditioned to believe PMS exists and the way that our society deals and views menstruation causes the PMS ... ie. they expect mood swings, they get mood swings ... or any sort of mood swings are blamed on PMS.
    They say that in societies that viewed menstruation as something worth celebrating and in societies that had generally a different view, PMS was not reported.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd sure like to read that source, because I ain't buying that PMS is purely psychological. Hormone fluctuations are real, and most of what I've read cite that as the cause. Also, pain and bloating seem like good reasons for bitchiness, so they all seem intertwined.
    Last edited by vashti; 21-07-08 at 07:05 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

What really really fascinate me is that many women get these symptoms during menstruation when PMS is Pre-menstrual. I do think that some women are conditioned to feel or act a certain way (not all but I observed a few). I have had so many women friends and a small amount of men such as boyfriends, dates etc say they cannot tell when my mood changes and that time of the month, etc. I generally act the same every day of the month. Why on earth would I want to change my good mood? Damn it! Bleep bleep. I'm anger...joking. I do know that I was brought up to not express negative emotions externally and I suppose as a result I don't internally. I feel great (or the same) emotionally pre-, during and post-menses. I really don't feel different emotionally. Maybe I am that lucky small percentage of women who don't experience PMS. I hope to never change. That is one reason I prefer hanging around men rather than women. You pick up bad habits with women.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If I am going to get bitchy, it is during ovulation and two days before my period. (I have charted my bad moods to see if there was a pattern.)

I understand what you mean by bitchy women during their period. That isn't PMS - that is probably just crankiness r/t pain and bloating.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There's an awful lot of PMS on this forum recently, for example, lol.

PMS coping = 'This too shall pass'. People bitch, its their nature. Usually whatever they are bitching about is just a symptom of something else.

I'm not sure MissS about PMS being all psychological. Or that if it is, that doesn't make it real. Hormones are powerful things & can affect one's ability to think clearly. Ask any horny teenager.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    I dated a girl who had horrible PMS. She is one of the nicest girls I have ever met. By PMS I mean that she could not attend classes, had to stay in bed during that week.

I remember going on a walk with her and she broke down on the ground, started crying, and I asked her what was wrong, and she expained to me the best way she could. She was still very kind, still the same sweet girl. So I carried her back home.

I think PMS is a lame excuse to be a bitch. Granted we all have our moments, but just cause you're a lady doesn't mean you're entitled to a few days every month where you can turn into a chaotic bitch. It's sick that a lot of women do feel that they are though

In the past, I got cramps in every 5th or 6th period, but only on the 1st day. I wasn't able to sleep cos of the cramps, so I took 2 pills of analgin to kill the pain. And it worked every time. In the worst case I had to take the 3rd pill few hours afterwards.

But then, 4 months ago, I discovered magnesium. It's nature's tranquilliser. It's good against stress (you won't be bitchy), good for sportists (makes them have cramps less often), for pregnant women (usually to prevent cramps and premature labour), etc. It relaxes your muscles and helps your blood to clot appropriately (hence it can even help to regulate periods). So, now, I dissolve a pill in the water up to two times a day almost every day. And mine have the yummy taste of tangerine, so it's like drinking juice. Normal daily women need for magnesuim is 310 to 320 mg.

I would still take analgin in case something physically aches me, i.e. if I, God forbids, injure myself somehow.
    Last edited by Citycat; 21-07-08 at 09:40 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's interesting CityCat. I've often wondered if PMS is due to a diluting of hormones/neurotransmitters due to bloating. The reason I think this is that most of the PMS medications contain diuretics (things that make you pee to lose water). There's no real other active ingredient in them except a painkiller for cramps but they supposedly work. If you're taking magnesium & it actually works, this might be consistent.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Painkillers just kill the feeling of pain, not its cause. I started to believe that magnesium prevents the "forming" of cramps, proof being pregnant women. If a pregnant women took painkillers instead of magnesium, she would still have vaginal cramps, and could therefore lose a child by giving premature birth.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Right, so if some symptoms of PMS is due to diluting of your normal blood levels of magnesium, this might be consistent?

I'm not saying this is true, btw, just an idea.

Magnesium is used in a lot of biochemical systems, btw, esp to do with brain functioning (ADHD, autism have been associated w/magnesium problems).

I know when I was pregnant I would get cramps if I didn't have enough potassium, so I ate a banana every day or so.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Hmm... I wouldn't say diluting, I'd rather say not generally taking enough of it. Most people eat fried food in which there's 0 magnesium. We generally lack minerals and vitamins. But, then again, I don't know whether PMS is hereditary, a result of stress and inadequate diet, or combination of all that. Cramps are not hard to get rid of, but "bitchy effects" are. And I like the adrenaline theory some user mentioned as well. Let's clearskies try magnesium or the suggested puffs *hihihihi*. I'm eager to read what she'll find helpful for her.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, I suppose ultimately if something works & it doesn't hurt then go for it.

I don't think I'd deliberately take an adrenaline like substance tho. That can't be good for you. I still remember that baseball pitcher who died from taking that stuff to lose weight.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

When I mentioned the adrenaline theory, I was referring to this

Quote Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
    I have met a colleague in my last week training who is a medical doctor. During breaks, we had a chat about PMS, she told me the adrenaline level might be high and that is one of the reasons that cause severe symptoms of PMS. I also came across this link which validates what she said:
    [url]http://www.thefooddoctor.com/Premenstrual-Syndrome-Ahealth_fdw_pms/[/url]
    So, I meant, to take something to lessen it, not to get it even higher

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You mean a beta blocker? Those are nearly as bad tho....
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Noooo. I was trying to be funny and tell her to go and get high during PMS (only as a joke, I repeat, before you get me too seriously )

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast