+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chat!!

IRC is the best - hands down !

you can use aim without downloading anything. go to aol.com and look for the link that says aim buddy or aim express. aim buddy works best since it hardly uses java...it's a plus especially at places you have limited access too.
    "Don't be afraid to fail because only through failure do you
    learn to succeed." "Oh and be careful what you do...you'll never know who's watching..."

MSN is the best. AIM sucks. IRC sucks more.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

I so totally agree with Kiechi. MSN's secks. Aim 'n' any other really do suck. I don't use em anymore.

IRC only sucks to the simple minded. It takes some knowledge of WHAT THE HELL YOUR ACTUALLY DOING ON A COMPUTER to use it. lol

I like it because the clients have scripting capabilities, and I understand it structure perfectly of how it works - I made my own IRC network.

What is IRC and the other one? never heard of them.

and whats the difference between them and msn?
    - Claire -

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It is by far the most complicated, but BEST chat service in the world. Windows users google up 'mIRC' to learn more. Linux/Unix users google up 'BitchX' or 'XChat' to learn more. Mac users - ****, idk I hate Macs... Each client is different than the others. Offline messages in IRC are not likely, It depends on the Services the network is using. Some Services carry a Service bot called 'NoteServ' or something similar, which will hold offline messages for you and give them to you when you come back online. Has a file transfer protocol. Also has chatrooms for multiple userts to talk in one area, not just IM's.

AIM stands for AOL Instant Messenger. It is the Chat service that AOL has for their customers, BUT they now hand out a free 'smaller' version of this to anyone oin the web, whether you have AOL service or not. Thia AIM does NOT have chatroom capabilities tho, it is ONLY IM's (instant/private messages). It does have a file transfer protocol. Does not have offline message capabilities. AIM just sucks all the way around. The service sucks, I dont know anyone that actually uses it. My files never send or receive thru AIM.

MSN, well if you dont know what MSN is then you should stop reading now. Shut down your computer, unplug it. And take it back to the store where you bought it from. You have no business on a computer at all. Does have a file transfer protocol. The downside to msn is the service itself. I get cut off my MSN account alot. Oh, and the MSN chat service was designed on IRC technology. Has a chatroom area, but you must pay to use it.

ICQ - I have no ****ing clue what it stands for. Has a file transfer prototcol. Offline message capable. The downside to this one is the damn numbers you have to remember...No user names, just numbers. I dont know if it has a chatroom area. Most prolly not...

Yahoo Messenger. Fiel transfer capabilities. Offline message capabilities. The downside is the File transfer protocol is not a direct send. You upload to a Yahoo server then the user will download from that server. Slows the delivery time down, and just seems to cause alot of connection problems... And plus there are alot of **** tards that will IM you out of nowhere - they are programs specifically designed to get you to look at their profile and go to their website and sign up for their service for a fee (aka Bots).. Has a chatroom area, but maybe like 25% of the users in the chatrooms are real people, the other 75% are Bots.

wow i never know that! well course i know what msn is! thats why i asked you to compair them to it, if you see what i mean. i like the sound of the offline messages. i think it would be very handy if msn did that.

i would get the ICR one cause it sounds good. but whats the point if no one i know uses it. plus i dont think anyone round here even knows about it.
    - Claire -

round here= where i live locally.
    - Claire -

You didn't know what msn was.. Damn.

i did know what msn was... thats what i said unless ive miss typed. ive had msn 4 ages..if i didnt know what it was why would i have an msn sign near my name thing. ive used yahoo too. and aol a lill. ive just never heard of the others.

im sure ive heard ICR somewhere though.
    - Claire -

i mean before billy told me. lol i wish i could organise my thoughts so i could put them into one post.
    - Claire -

IRC, not ICR. (Internet Relay Chat)

And I knew you knew about MSN. That post was not directed towards you. You influenced me to post it, but it was directed at anyone who reads it. Not one particular person or group.

And another note - Every service I mentioned before I use. And all of you are prolly thinking what I was at one time, "God damn thats alot of messenger programs to be running at once!" Damn straight it is. There are alot of programs that have combined the above mentioned services, some programs actually have other services I dont use (they are the really shitty ones/linux ones).

I have one of the best of these kinds of programs. It is called Trillian. It has all 5 services that I mentioned before. To get more information on this program google up "Trillian Messenger". It is made by Cruelean (i am pretty damn sure I spelled that wrong) Studios. The correct url will have the cruelean namein it somewhere.

They have a Basic program and a Payed program. Get the Basic, there really isnt ANY difference between the two, except for looks. But this program you can download skins and place on it thru the preferences. The skins can be downloaded from the Cruelean website also.

If you get the Basic program BE SURE TO GET THE PATCH WITH IT !! Without the patch it will not connect to MSN or Yahoo (MSN and Yahoo have rebuilt their protocols so that other messengers could not "descramble" them, thus making you go back to using the REAL messengers... But it is fixed now.)

Trillian is cool. The main reason I use Trillan is not to save resources on my machine, or have less programs running, but it is for the Logging feature. You can have every conversation from every service logged. The away messages (not offline messages) are easyier to set and unset than having to set away on 5 messengers... You just set 1 and they all say the same thing.

You can organize your buddy lists in any way you desire. You can keep each messenger in a different group and have sub groups if you want. You can mix names from different messengers in a group. etc etc.

I suggest everyone be on as many messengers as they can. Preferably the 5 mentioned before. Trillian is a good way to go this route. That way when you meet someone and they say "Message me on AIM tonight!" you dont have to go "I only have MSN.. " etc etc. You'll just be like "OK !" and done. No worries about having to get on a different messenger or whatever.

If anyone gets on IRC please connect to my network. I will put up the direct link to use in the client (which ever you use), but I am 90% sure it is going to get edited out of this post soon.

nfld.pl3x.net

Once on the server type /list and it will bring up a list of all the different channels on the network. Read the help file to learn more. Or IM me an any of my messengers and I'll help.

oh i know...i think. lol. i was talking to skye.
    - Claire -

In order from my fav's are:

1) IRC
    2) MSN
    3) Yahoo
    4) AIM
    5) ICQ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast