+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I hate my school

In the wastelands between insomnia and clarevoiance

I hate my school

We have this award at our school called Highest Achievement. Essentially, the top two people in each class GPA-wise get the award. We have to take two semesters of fine arts.

My report card looks like this:

• Class - Sem 1 - Sem 2
    • English 9 A A
    • World History A A
    • Debate A (no second)
    • Photography (no first) A
    • Adv. Biology A A
    • Adv. Algebra II A A
    • Spanish I A A

So, how could I not get the award you might ask? Well, yes, there are weighted classes, but with the exception of Spanish I, I'm taking the best classes that I can... Oh, but the ****ING FINE ARTS ARE NOT WEIGHTED, SO GETTING As IN DEBATE AND PHOTOGRAPHY **** ME OVER... Anyway, that somewhat ticked me off.

Achievement is defined as:
    Something accomplished successfully, especially by means of exertion, skill, practice, or perseverance.

Highest, at least in this instance denotates highest, but connotates "most". The people who will receive the award have not exerted as much as I.

Exertion is defined as:
    a concept describing the use of physical or perceived energy.

Those who did not take fine arts did not use as much energy as I in their studies. I took two classes that they did not, both of which required signifigant work.

Sure, maybe it won't matter in the long run, but I'm mad.
    BACAMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Charity is gay.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Don't worry about it Dward. Reflecting back on high school I come to ask myself "How the fucck do colleges determine who the good applicants are?". Among the top kids in a high school class, there just aren't the tools (classes / tests of enough difficuly and range to show who the men and the boys are)

College will be different so long as you don't go to some school where a third of the kids get As

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    High school is pretty goddamn lame. Worry less about being at the top and more about developing socially. That's what it's really all about.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Totally. When high school is over, it will become pathetic to glory in your victories there anyway, so it won't matter for much longer anyway.
    Spammer Spanker

When you apply for jobs after college, no one cares about your high school grades.

You are doing well in high school so it's probably a good sign for your grades in college.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    High school is pretty goddamn lame. Worry less about being at the top and more about developing socially. That's what it's really all about.
    I disagree. You can do both, but the focus of high school is to get good grades so you can get into a good college

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's more important to enjoy your time in high school than it is to get into that big university. You're only a teenager once and it's a horrible, horrible shame that so many kids are squandering that priceless time with a glut of extracurricular activities and hour after hour of homework and studies.

You can still get into that big uni later in life if that's what you want. You can't ever be a kid again.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You can still get into that big uni later in life if that's what you want.
    No, you can't

You're only a teenager once and it's a horrible, horrible shame that so many kids are squandering that priceless time with a glut of extracurricular activities and hour after hour of homework and studies.
    You don't have to put in hour after hour in homework to get good grades, you gotta play it smart not hard

You can't ever be a kid again.
    I hardly had a normal social life in high school, and actually barely had a social life at all. I don't even care anymore that I'm not getting it back either, if it was something tangible it could go fucck itself. I had the same amount of free time as an average high schooler but played a lot of first person shooters instead and did other things. And now I'm in college and not having exactly a normal "college" social life but still don't give a fucck

Good thing everyone dies in the end

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Good thing everyone dies in the end
    That really describes your user name.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    DM, that's the kind of attitude that you're going to regret twenty years down the road. You've got opportunities that are going to slip right by. Having a great job is fantastic. But it means nothing if you aren't happy.

You have such a negative outlook on life and it's sad.
    Last edited by Gribble; 04-06-08 at 08:31 AM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You can have everything, but have nothing ...

Having a great career and money is all good, but I think a social life is important ... the time is NOW, DM ...

you too, DD ...
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

In the wastelands between insomnia and clarevoiance
    Ya, thats what everyone has been telling me. I just still think its a bit unfair, but I do my best to enjoy high school as well as study every now and then.
    BACAMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Charity is gay.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDwarf View Post
    Ya, thats what everyone has been telling me. I just still think its a bit unfair, but I do my best to enjoy high school as well as study every now and then.
    That's all fine and dandy ... As long as you have a balance, you're all good. Don't overstress about not getting the "highest achievement" award ... Most of your peers didn't either, so there is nothing to knock yourself over. It's just an extra line on your application.
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."