+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Wanting to eat more healthy...

Wanting to eat more healthy...

Hello, I am 19 years old, 5'11'' and 160 pounds. Now I am considered to be in pretty good shape for my age and height. I work out on occasions but plan to more often. I may seem skinny but do have a gut.

I am not trying to eat really to lose weight but just to be healthy as I haven't been eating healthy my whole life. I don't want it to catch up to me in the later years. Now it is hard for me because I hardly eat any fruit's or vegetables.

It's hard for me to eat healthy because of school and work and hanging out with friends I am constantly always on the go. So I am usually stuck having to eat out which is usually not always so health.

How would I possibly be able to fit a healthy diet into my busy life if I am always out. Does anyone else have this problem? I try to eat healthy and sometimes I do but then I end up out with my friends or at work on break getting stuck at a place where they only serve fast greasy food.

You have to learn to make healthier choices in the places you are accustomed to eating if you are unable or unwilling to start cooking for yourself, or choose healthier restaurants to eat in. For example, instead of KFC, eat at El Pollo Loco, and skip the tortilla chips, desserts, and sugary drinks.

Tone Guest
    Plan ahead.

That's how I do it. I plan out all my meals throughout the week so I know what I'm going to eat. Read the labels/ingredients, avoid refined sugars, trans fat, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

Also something that helped me (cause I use to eat a lot of fast food too) is to eat every 3-4 hrs.

By doing this I never get really REALLY hungry... cause when I do get hungry I don't want to eat a tuna sandwich w/ rice... I want a freakin double cheeseburger w/ fries.

Routine is how I eat healthy. Food to me is just fuel now, fuel for my body to get my body where I want it to be. Every now and then I'll have a cheat meal, but eating healthy and staying fit is all about commitment.

Good luck!

eat more fruits and vegetables.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Well, I don't really have a need to eat healthily as I'm pretty slim already, but I still do, though its a bit easier since I cook for myself. Here are some simple ways that I try to stay healthier.

Not sure of how much of a change some of these actually are, but meh.

1. Pasta and Rice - Instead of regular pasta and white rice I nowadays eat wholegrain pasta (or my personal favourite, spinach fettucine, even like it more than regular pasta) and brown rice.

2. Meat is pretty expensive, so I only cook meat dinners twice a week or so, and otherwise have eggs or have vegetarian meals. Haven't found a problem with eating vegetables either, depends on what you choose though.

2. If I ever have to get fast food I usually get it from Subway, but usually I prefer to go to cheap restaurants that serve various asian food rapidly.

3. As I don't always have time for a proper lunch I have a pretty big breakfast so that I wont starve if I necessarily have to pull through a study-day without eating until dinner. Milk with muesli instead of sugar-coated cereals, fruit (don't get how eating fruit is a problem. I prefer to eat pears over candy, and you can try avocadoes or kiwis for something new) and wholegrain breads (easy to substitute white bread for).

4. I haven't eaten potato chips or candy in ages. If I get the craving to eat snacks I really just prefer the taste of fruits.

Note - I don't actually try to lose weight, but rather gain weight, but eating healthily so that I can eat plenty and bulk up without building up fat. A little bit below optimal BMI, so I could use some more weight.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    it takes only about 10 mintues to make a good healthy meal. if you have the desire to eat healthy, then it won't be a problem. however, if you're using excuses like school and not having a lot of time then you're shit out of luck already.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Tedel Guest
    Talking with a nutritionist should also be a good idea.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^^^ i actually went to college and got a degree... i know that it's hard to believe yeah?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Whats a healthy meal?

Healthy in the terms of what does not make you fat?

Eat the same stuff, but maybe less and slower. Drink more pure water and work out.

But my advice may be nothing because somehow I have always managed to eat less than is needed to get myself fatter. So i don't know anything about being overweight.
    Last edited by boobaa; 29-06-08 at 07:33 PM.
    Don't expect anything.