+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abstinence from Drugs and Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    It's only bad if you think it is.

But anyway, I am not here to congratulate you. I am here to make you think.

Why are you abstaining from drugs? Why exactly?

The one thing I never understood about some people are their reasons for doing drugs. Addictions are understandable, when they are physical. But the people who drink to get drunk, who smoke weed to get high, or whatever drug they are doing... I just don't understand it. And I don't understand the one's who just absolutely will not try it to see if they like it or not.

Do you really enjoy the drugs you have been doing? Why did you do them?

I personally enjoy alcoholic beverages. By enjoying, I mean that I enjoy the taste of it, how it reacts with my mouth, and so on. It is a given that there are a lot of kinds that I don't like, and I do not drink them. I don't drink them to get drunk either. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy getting drunk, though.

My opinion is that you shouldn't do something if you don't truly enjoy it. It's a simple concept that can be applied to everything. It's kind of obvious, but I see many people that don't seem to grasp it. Maybe this is you're reason for quitting.

Hmm, I can't think of anything else at the moment. Hope your summer is going well!
    I agree with this.

Druggie is such a dirty word.

" I just don't understand it. And I don't understand the one's who just absolutely will not try it to see if they like it or not."

I find it's easier to not bother wondering. Life really is easier if you stay on the straight and narrow and steer clear from temptations. Curiosity killed the cat.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE first-person shooters on the PC only.
    Lets be friends.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

If I wanted to I could try to get a Nobel prize winning faculty member to do research with, but quite frankly they aren't likely to be any better than another professor. Maybe even worse if they are too wrapped up in their own research.
    Don't get defensive about a prof you dont even really know DM. I don't know him, FWIW, I just looked him up the way I would any scientist.

As for Nobel laureates, lol, you'd be surprised what working in a lab of theirs would do for your CV. Don't be naive. At your stage of the game its less what you do than who you do it with. Those letters of reference come in real handy for admission committees & fellowship agencies. There's an awful lot of applicants from IL schools w/perfect grade point averages.

Food for thought, kiddo.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Don't get defensive about a prof you dont even really know DM. I don't know him, FWIW, I just looked him up the way I would any scientist.
    You would look up the work from an organic chemist in a database for biomedical articles? All I'm saying is that your search was misguided and that you suggested some kind of conclusion that questioned his professional credibility, based on a bad search. You could have just looked on his page and seen he was most recently part of discovering 4 complex reactions

As for Nobel laureates, lol, you'd be surprised what working in a lab of theirs would do for your CV. Don't be naive. At your stage of the game its less what you do than who you do it with. Those letters of reference come in real handy for admission committees & fellowship agencies. There's an awful lot of applicants from IL schools w/perfect grade point averages.
    Remember my goal here isn't grad school for chemistry, it's med school. Investing all my energies into getting a Nobel prize winner as an advisor, and all the effort I'd probably have to put forth (that other people wanting to go into research would be trying harder for) could be spent better in other places

And for the perfect grade point average... I don't know a single person here with over a 3.9. I'm at a 3.72 right now and after orgo should add 6 credits of 4.0 to that

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Lilwing is turning into a hedonist.

Drug abuse is bad. It interferes with brain cell function and drains motivation. If you think you should stop using because it is becoming a problem, then you should definitely stop. Routine users usually underestimate the impact their drug use is having on their life until after they've given it up.
    *shrug* I really don't know what you're talking about when you say I am a hedonist. Life for me isn't about pleasure, it's about understanding. Oh and when I say enjoy, I am not talking about pleasure.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 24-06-08 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    *shrug* I really don't know what you're talking about when you say I am a hedonist. Life for me isn't about pleasure, it's about understanding. Oh and when I say enjoy, I am not talking about pleasure.
    what then, are you talking about?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

anachronistic Guest
    The way I see it, pleasure is a small part of enjoyment. It's the 'feels good' part. Enjoyment is not just pleasure; it's having no remorse, at an expense without loss, without a need for justification, and having pleasure for doing so. I could go more in depth...

Please don't.

if you go any deeper, you're gonna drown us all.

anachronistic Guest
    Awww, come on, I enjoy drowning you Somby.

you can't drown me. i'm a pisces fish, remember?

anachronistic Guest
    So am I, baby

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You would look up the work from an organic chemist in a database for biomedical articles? All I'm saying is that your search was misguided and that you suggested some kind of conclusion that questioned his professional credibility, based on a bad search. You could have just looked on his page and seen he was most recently part of discovering 4 complex reactions.
    I did look up his website. So, what is the primary database for chemists

Remember my goal here isn't grad school for chemistry, it's med school.
    Well, exactly. So you should be interested in the biomed databases & medical research.

But, you know, I'm just someone who got accepted into both med & grad school. I doubt I know what I'm talking about...
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I did look up his website. So, what is the primary database for chemists
    I don't know, I'm not in need of the newest syntheses because most of them have complex target structures in mind. Basically Vogel's is my Bible, as in Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry

A lot of things are published in JACS, Journal of the American Chemical Society too

Too bad I don't live in Vancouver. I bet you could hook me up with some random lab tasks and I could end up working "late nights" with you
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 25-06-08 at 02:04 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A lot of things are published in JACS, Journal of the American Chemical Society too

Too bad I don't live in Vancouver. I bet you could hook me up with some random lab tasks and I could end up working "late nights" with you
    JACS is in PubMed, in fact my husband publishes in there fairly regularly...

No late nights young scamp. I have enough problems. But if you change your mind & get serious about biomed research, PM me. My husband has LOTS of hot chicks in his lab.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast