+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Abstinence from Drugs and Alcohol

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    JACS is in PubMed
    Yeah, but none of their articles in PubMed are relating to organic chemistry!

But I'm not too concerned about finding research at the moment. I'd be worthless to any cause, and will start later. Maybe second semester sophomore year... But I've have to start looking early this next semester, in a little over a month

Look Indi, once I take biochem I'll probably find it far more interesting than I do now because I don't know the first thing about it. You have a much more biochemist approach at the moment and I have a much more organic chemish approach at the moment

What is the first thing to come to mind when you think of serotonin synthesis?
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 25-06-08 at 02:32 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Indi.......... post your response so I can go do my homework already............ I know that member browsing the board invisible is you!!!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Uh-oh...... all this time responding must mean Indi is gonna let me have it

You just spent all that time reading and didn't respond? Come on............ come on!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sorry DM, I was someplace else.

Serotonin makes me think of phenylalanine deficiencies. And bananas. And SRIs & red wine & cheese.

Okay, I have to disappear for a while. Back to studying, young man!
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Serotonin makes me think of phenylalanine deficiencies. And bananas. And SRIs & red wine & cheese.
    lol phenylalanine. I would have thought you to find a greater association with tryptophan given that is the biological precursor. And with the question of synthesis I was trying to lead you on to the metabolic pathway that produces it, which would be the biochemists approach to it. From the organic chemists perspective you could synthesize it easily and practically in a lab from 5-HTP

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Lol. Do you have ANY idea how long its been since I took an organic chemistry course?? I'd have to go & look up stuff that is currently in your frontal lobe.

The only reason I can talk to you at all is b/c the basic reactions were all worked out ages ago so what you take now is the same stuff I learned... well, a looong time ago, lol. Its like Classical Mechanics & thermodynamics--same for every entering science student.

As for Biochem & Mol Bio, my undergrad copies of Stryer & Alberts are positively dinosaurs... the content of both of those texts has almost completely changed since I was a student.

Phenylalanine can be converted into tyrosine, if I remember (in vivo I mean)? And there are genetic diseases where ppl can't do the conversions & this causes all sorts of problems.

Is this your interest area, DM?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Is this your interest area, DM?
    Yeah it's getting closer. My interest in biochemistry would be things like pharmacology and the related biochemistry. Ideally if I did research I would want it to be at the crossroads of organic chem and biochem. Basically, making drugs. If you ask me Prozac is a wonder drug, I would be dead without it

Lol. Do you have ANY idea how long its been since I took an organic chemistry course?? I'd have to go & look up stuff that is currently in your frontal lobe.
    Pffffft you sound just like my parents
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 25-06-08 at 08:10 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Phenylalanine can be converted into tyrosine, if I remember (in vivo I mean)? And there are genetic diseases where ppl can't do the conversions & this causes all sorts of problems.
    lol idk, I'm not taking biochem yet. I don't know the serotonin metabolic pathway either for the same reason, I just know how to synthesize it in a lab

Oh my god, do we need a science geek thread!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Meh, save yourself the bother then DM. Drug design is becoming more rational & can be done very well with computer modelling. And its only going to get better.

If you find you enjoy biochemistry, there are much more interesting things to be doing than synthesizing drugs.

Think about what I said, DM, about a comp sci/bioinformatics course. You'll thank me later.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Oh my god, do we need a science geek thread!
    You know about phenylketonuria. Don't you play coy.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Meh, save yourself the bother then DM. Drug design is becoming more rational & can be done very well with computer modelling. And its only going to get better.

If you find you enjoy biochemistry, there are much more interesting things to be doing than synthesizing drugs.

Think about what I said, DM, about a comp sci/bioinformatics course. You'll thank me later.
    Correct me if I'm wrong because I know next to nothing about this, but isn't computer aided drug design simply putting out some structure of a drug that is modified from some other active compound? The synthesis of it is still unaccounted for, which is the coolest area

But what about novel drugs?

Anyways there are sooooooooo many areas of biochemistry that are interesting that just keep showing up. Like bioinorganic chemistry, that is ripped

And yes, I know the importance of bioinformatics is growing in leaps and bounds, which sucks because it's so uninteresting.. gah

DM I think you would really enjoy medicinal chemistry. It uses organic chemistry, biochemistry, etc. I really like pharmacology.

i fricken hate pharm... don't mind the learning mechinism of action (that's interesting and fun)... memorizing hundreds of drugs... pffft!

nice field though.. a pure biochem course would probably bore you, but you might need one in order to understand drug structure and all that good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    i fricken hate pharm... don't mind the learning mechinism of action (that's interesting and fun)... memorizing hundreds of drugs... pffft!
    +1

I hate the memorization, too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast