+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Appearance Count that much?

Does Appearance Count that much?

Does Appearance Count that much?

I would say YES . What would you say if you read the following quotations from a ppt I came across online?

'Books are judged by their covers'

'Appearances count, not only in first impressions, but also in ongoing interactions. In his comprehensive research on communication, sociologist Albert Mehrabian found that in a face-to-face encounter, 7 percent of a verbal message comes from the words used; 38 percent comes from the vocal tone, pacing, and inflection; 55 PERCENT of the message is transmitted by the speaker’s appearance and body language.'

Is not 55 % too much for appearance & body language while 7% is too little for the words ?

Yes, it does count until certain level.
    You can tell what type of person it is according to what type of clothes he/she wears. How he/she acts. If person is overly dirty, there clearly is something wrong for example, like being overly individual or obsessed. If person has a new handbag after every week, that can tell something too. On some cases, you can also tell how rich or poor someone is. If there are average clothes, but very quality lether sandals for example, he/she is well off enough. But a macho shirt and single golden chain may be his only richness which also tells what kind of things he values more.
    Last edited by boobaa; 30-06-08 at 01:31 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

Yes, indeed. what you say is absolutely true. But I would like to let you know that this saying was talking about people who are giving presentation or a talk and not in normal day life.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    bottom line, if you are ugly then you are ugly. there's no changing that.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

It's a technical issue for professionls who train on communication skills or at least teach or even sell and have to give formal talks & presentations.... it has nothing to do with beauty or daily life.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ok... so you are referring to "appearance" and to how to get your point across rather than one person looking to get laid?

if so, i will still stick to my point. i'd much rather listen to a hot chick tell a speech as opposed to an ugly fat dude. c'mon, regardless of who is trained better, books are judged by their covers.

raverboy

If a fat guy is talking about healthy food, I wouldn't take him very seriously.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by clearskies View Post
    Is not 55 % too much for appearance & body language while 7% is too little for the words ?
    I remember reading this somewhere too. It's not so much appearance as it is just the delivery of what you're trying to say. Only 7% of the message is passed on through the words, the rest all has to do with how you deliver it. I agree with that. Except for some guys that are like rocks, and don't seem to move a muscle when they speak. Then it's 100% the words that count.

I agree with what you said but for the last part... 'Except for some guys that are like rocks, and don't seem to move a muscle when they speak. Then it's 100% the words that count.' I think less than 7% will count.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    hey, you have heard of this news broadcast called, "naked news"? i forget which country that it is aired in, but this would get me to watch the news. and they offer both genders for you females.

raverboy

I think less than 7% will count.
    You haven't worked for someone who only answers with words like "hi, yes, no, bye" or points and nods. Each words counts for more than 100% and you better know what he's trying to say or else he'll give you the disappointed death stair if you don't follow his very detailed one word directions.

He takes himself too seriously and thinks the less he speaks, the more of a man or more macho he is. It's really not that big of a deal if he would speak more, it's not like anyone would think any less of him.

Don't forget that its 55% appearance AND body language. Which means that physical appearance is one part, but body language doesn't apply to how you look, it's about how you move and gesture.

Right, body language includes your movement in the place, motion of your hands, facial expressions, tone and volume of your voice, gestures, eye contact is also an important factor.. what else?

Right, body language includes your movement in the place, motion of your hands, facial expressions, tone and volume of your voice, gestures, eye contact is also an important factor.. what else?
    I guess the way you say it. Like maybe how fast or slow you talk and the pauses you take between words. Pace?

Maybe also who is saying it. If a special guest speaker is saying something, it might have a bigger impact than just some random person making the same speech.

anachronistic Guest
    Most people will buy a painting based on the way it looks... but few, usually only artists, will know the craftsmanship, the skills, the materials, the thoughts, and everything it took to make it.

The same can be said about attraction... most people will go out with someone based on how someone looks. That's because they don't know very much. I know I don't need to emphasize.

Looks are often a wall, too. Some of us needs someone that looks decent, but is still lovable. The same can be said about art, lol... I still don't buy into a whole lot of that abstract expressionist stuff...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast