+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you play a game, which...

anachronistic Guest

Would you play a game, which...

You played the role of an animal in a survival-of-the-fittest setting? This is something I have been developing for a while.

I have been reading articles about animals' senses, and the visible spectrum, and I am trying to program it so that you are limited to these senses.

Will be first person.

I am thinking about making it so that there is some kind of evolution system, except it wouldn't be like the theorized evolution - it would be on the spot evolution. Kind of like EVO for SNES if you have ever played it.

I am not sure if I want to do modern animals, prehistoric animals, or nonexistent animals.

sounds great, i'd go with nonexistent animals, that could've have existed, but didn't because of an evolutionary twist of some sort.

speaking of evolution, and evolving...i've slowly evolved into a bit of a coach potato the past few weeks. in this case, i've evolved into a slower, dull, and lazy creature... not fit enough to survive the extremes of exam preparation.

so, i guess i'll ?devolve? into that hardworking busy bee! i'm still keeping with the exercise routine, it's going great, now that some of yer have seen me, hopefully i can put on some muscle! i'll pop in now and then, have a great summer everyone! I'll be indoors, studying!

oops, don't want to take away the subject on this thread, and same time, didn't want to start a new one...nice idea anachronistic, i really think you should pose challenges in the video game, such as enviornmental challenges, which will select certain species over the other... nice concept for a video game, hopefully you get better advice than what i have to offer, good luck! have a good one everybody!!

Isn't there already a game like this already made? Developed by the same people as the Sims?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Yep yep, it's called Spore. It looks incredible cool.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA"]YouTube - Spore 35min Demonstration from the GDCe[/ame]

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RSK View Post
    sounds great, i'd go with nonexistent animals, that could've have existed, but didn't because of an evolutionary twist of some sort.

speaking of evolution, and evolving...i've slowly evolved into a bit of a coach potato the past few weeks. in this case, i've evolved into a slower, dull, and lazy creature... not fit enough to survive the extremes of exam preparation.

so, i guess i'll ?devolve? into that hardworking busy bee! i'm still keeping with the exercise routine, it's going great, now that some of yer have seen me, hopefully i can put on some muscle! i'll pop in now and then, have a great summer everyone! I'll be indoors, studying!

oops, don't want to take away the subject on this thread, and same time, didn't want to start a new one...nice idea anachronistic, i really think you should pose challenges in the video game, such as enviornmental challenges, which will select certain species over the other... nice concept for a video game, hopefully you get better advice than what i have to offer, good luck! have a good one everybody!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi View Post
    Isn't there already a game like this already made? Developed by the same people as the Sims?
    Yeah, I haven't even begun to really think about selection of animals or anything like that yet. That's probably one of the last things I will focus on. I think like a defragmenting computer; I really don't think on a straight path... but many things at once.

Right now I have had to crack open some books and read some Wikipedia articles, and study gravity, nutrition, earth science, and a whole bunch of stuff. There is going to be a lot of science behind the engine. Unfortunately, science is not my area of expertise, but since I have a self-influenced interest in it, it will only be a matter of time and availability of resources. I am really learning a lot from this project.

On a side note, I kind of see myself having a mindset similar to Da Vinci's; having interest in many subjects, not just art. I love science, I catch on quickly to understanding mathematics, psychology, and everything. I even write my ideas in an older, unreadable, German script!

And I find, to be a good computer programmer, you have to study everything; I am creating a virtual environment based on reflections and observations in reality. My work will certainly reflect my understandings of such.

I don't know what I am going to even program it in. Perhaps some C derivative with OpenGL. Will be my first 3d project from scratch.

Yeah RK, there will be challenges. It will be challenging. Just think, the entire concept of the game will be based on survival, and all the prerequisites and everything! Nutrition, defense, stealth, technique, reproduction... everything that takes place in the real world will be present in this world. I wouldn't even call it a videogame. This is going to be nothing like any videogame available today; yeah Kiechi, you're right, there is some kind of simulation game, but I don't think there will be much to compare to what I am developing.

I want to give humanity an opportunity to philosophize survival for itself, and connect parallels between this virtual world and their own. I hope I am able to bring out all the hopeless couch potatoes. I think it's only a matter of writing a plot that strikes interest, and subtly makes one unconsciously question things.

One thing I am worried about right now is graphic and computing limitations. I have a small window to work with. I wish I had people who could help me with the project. Maybe after I get some work done, help could be considered. I think I will make it commercial maybe get someone to invest in the idea. Trying to keep it cross-platform.

I know a lot of things I said in this post are kind of technical, but don't let that scare ya from reading it!

Sometimes I have some pretty dumb ideas, and that's why I post them on here sometimes, to see what people think. Loveforum's got such a variety of people, that I get a wide array of views and opinions. I really hope this idea is worth it. If not, well at least I am educating myself. Only a matter of time before I am a qualified nutritionist, earth scientist, psychologist

Come on, tell me what you think.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well if all of the prehistoric animals died, then why would anyone want to use them?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Have you achieved any games in the past? I think this is not the right forum to discuss the game aspects. There are places like gamedev for it.

You do realize how much time and effort a game like this requires?

You remember me the old days when i used to have all kinds of ideas what I even began to develop, but eventually understood that they were too much to handle. Its part of growing process, my child.

But I remember playing a Half Life mod called Natural Selection where you had the option to play human or alien (kharaa). Aliens were dog like creatures, with ability to climb walls etc. It was very interesting game because there was a balance between human bullets and alien bitings. Of course everyone could evolve, aliens could evolve into bigger stronger aliens, etc, humans could get armor and stuff. It was online play, and of course also one of the first fps games that had strategy element in it. Human team had a commander who was not directly involved in any battle, but he viewed the battle from his pod and sent health packs, gave orders, built structures which had to be welded together by teammates. Even though it is real pity the game hasn't got full recognition to this day, it is still quite wasted by noobs who only want to pawn and forget all the teamwork which was highly developed in the old days. However, many other games have ripped several ideas and gameplay elements from it, like the right click action menu.
    Last edited by boobaa; 07-07-08 at 05:05 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Have you achieved any games in the past? I think this is not the right forum to discuss the game aspects. There are places like gamedev for it.

You do realize how much time and effort a game like this requires?

You remember me the old days when i used to have all kinds of ideas what I even began to develop, but eventually understood that they were too much to handle. Its part of growing process, my child.

But I remember playing a Half Life mod called Natural Selection where you had the option to play human or alien (kharaa). Aliens were dog like creatures, with ability to climb walls etc. It was very interesting game because there was a balance between human bullets and alien bitings. Of course everyone could evolve, aliens could evolve into bigger stronger aliens, etc, humans could get armor and stuff. It was online play, and of course also one of the first fps games that had strategy element in it. Human team had a commander who was not directly involved in any battle, but he viewed the battle from his pod and sent health packs, gave orders, built structures which had to be welded together by teammates. Even though it is real pity the game hasn't got full recognition to this day, it is still quite wasted by noobs who only want to pawn and forget all the teamwork which was highly developed in the old days. However, many other games have ripped several ideas and gameplay elements from it, like the right click action menu.
    No, I have not achieved any games in the past. The inspiration to create videogames for myself has always been triggered by the videogames I played. That's why they failed. Now the inspiration lies within myself. I use videogames that I admire, and I take the flaws that I notice in them, and want to make something even better. So I feel like this idea really has a shot, because I would be bringing into the world an idea that hasn't really been thought of. Yes, I do have an idea of how much work this would take, and yes, I am willing to spend freetime devoted to it. I do have the talent, the intelligence, and the ability to do this. What I might not have, is the time!

Yes, I have been visiting Gamedev for quite some time. I used to have an account on there but I don't remember the username, so I just made a new one today. I posted my graphics theory on there today, check it out:

[url]http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=500333[/url]

I basically just talk about the flaw I see in modern graphics, and how I would program it. I have no idea if what I would like to do is possible. Maybe you know, though. Don't know a lot about OpenGL...

Once I get some opinions, I am going to begin programming. If it's not possible, I will have a whole different approach.

Neat movie about Spore, if I'd ever have time I'd consider purchasing it, but far too busy now and for the next few years.

As for the game considerations, I think that it is a good concept to bring in something along the lines of a first-person kill/competition with elements that are significantly different from what you would find in the mass of shooters - in this case carnivores that deal with things up and close, and perhaps other senses that can be displayed such as a far greater sense of smell (consider wind directions), better vision in the dark (some are better hunters in the night and avoid interaction in the day) and detecting movement (static versus active hunting methods).

And just as an addition, perhaps it could be further developed to include carnivores, omnivores as well as herbivores, each with different methods, such as dependence on herds for protection, hunting groups, competing for resources (grazing, prey)...And yeah, can brainstorm loads.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Neat movie about Spore, if I'd ever have time I'd consider purchasing it, but far too busy now and for the next few years.

As for the game considerations, I think that it is a good concept to bring in something along the lines of a first-person kill/competition with elements that are significantly different from what you would find in the mass of shooters - in this case carnivores that deal with things up and close, and perhaps other senses that can be displayed such as a far greater sense of smell (consider wind directions), better vision in the dark (some are better hunters in the night and avoid interaction in the day) and detecting movement (static versus active hunting methods).

And just as an addition, perhaps it could be further developed to include carnivores, omnivores as well as herbivores, each with different methods, such as dependence on herds for protection, hunting groups, competing for resources (grazing, prey)...And yeah, can brainstorm loads.
    It's not about killing. It's about survival. Killing will depend on the animal. Defense mechanisms, pros and cons of that particular animal's senses, reproduction. This will actually be a world where everything coexists, new members will be the descendants of actual animals (older members and AI) and there is a lifespan, and a bunch of other things.

Some animals will be dichromatic, and other's vision will be based on movement. How I portray it is limited to the software and hardware of today's technology. That's what I am currently surveying. Seeing what I can do and what I can't do.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html[/url]

Try that game out, Lilwang. It's a survivalist game. Kinda fun if you can stomach the graphics.

[url]http://www.mobygames.com/game/lion[/url]

Take a peek at that one, too. You can find it for free quite easily if you care to look.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    Oh my god, that URW website looks so cheesy. *chuckle* I can't believe anyone would pay to play that. The plot and gameplay must really make up for the lack of aesthetics.

Lion game looks pretty interesting. Especially because it is isometric. I was originally going to approach my idea using 2d isometrics, but I figured it would be better to go 3d. I have made 2d videogames before (top-down and platformers) with allegro and sphere and rm2k but 2d graphics are quite infamous today.

Plus, I am going to program a graphics system which is much more advanced than any of the ones used in modern videogames. And I will try to use less resources too!

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    Plus, I am going to program a graphics system which is much more advanced than any of the ones used in modern videogames. And I will try to use less resources too!
    You singlehandedly intend to outdo what massive development houses with hordes of experienced programmers with tens of millions of dollars backing them have achieved? Good luck.

Independent games aren't about graphics. They're about solid gameplay.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    You singlehandedly intend to outdo what massive development houses with hordes of experienced programmers with tens of millions of dollars backing them have achieved? Good luck.

Independent games aren't about graphics. They're about solid gameplay.
    This game isn't about gameplay or graphics. It is about the simplicity of complexities. It's about survival.

We will see what I can do I *hope* that what I do ends up outdoing all that, just for the sake of pointing out that you don't need millions of dollars, or experience, or any of that. That's not my reason for doing so, but we'll see.

Does anyone know where I can find studies done on animal senses... sight in particular? Color, perception and what not I mean. I am also trying to figure out what the world would look like with eyes that could see ultraviolet light.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 07-07-08 at 10:25 AM.

Its funny how people always want to change the world from scratch, be it a computer game or whatever.

Start coding, goddamnit, make the basic engine, then worry about the details if you are so pro.
    Don't expect anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast