Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i'm annoyed that i spend so much time scheduling meetings. it's one of the most frustrating, tedious, time wasters of my job.

this is how it goes most of the time...

me: give me your available dates for the next two weeks.
    someone: i'm available on wednesdays and fridays.
    me: okay how about friday at 1pm.
    the same someone: sorry i cannot make it.
    Depends on who needs to meet more. If they need something from you, then you set the schedule. If its the opposite, then you may need to bend. But I would never tolerate the scenario you just described.

Here how I do this if they hold the cards:

me: We need to meet this week. What works for you?
    them: [insert date]
    me: Great. See you at XXX on YYY

Or, if they are asking for my time its slightly different:

me: I have Monday pm and Friday am open this week. If neither works, please provide an alternative.
    them: Wednesday at 2pm.
    me: Okay, I have a mtg already scheduled for Wed this week, but I will see you at 2pm Wed next week.

I'm having studio tutors from a nearby uni that are practically contemporary artists that use buildings as their medium -"ignore whether it's even remotely likely to be doable, ignore any sense of practical use or safety, and ignore whether it's a complete monster in relation to the rest of the site - as long as its forms look interesting and radical its good".

F that. Developing a radical design is easy, coming up with a sensitive design is hard.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why is it that some men feel the need to be absolute dickheads and feel the need to bully and use emotional blackmail to get their own way. Well im not sorry for not puttin up with the pathetic excuse for a human being that he calls himself. Just when i thought he couldnt get much worse he goes and does this. Easily the most selfish person I have ever had the misfortune of knowing.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Came home from the grocery store to find a hole in the bathroom window and a rock in the shower. Guess there's a troublemaker in my new neighborhood.
    Measured the window and realized, like everything in this house, it is a nonstandard size.

Part of me misses the carefree life of renting =)

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    I'm having studio tutors from a nearby uni that are practically contemporary artists that use buildings as their medium -"ignore whether it's even remotely likely to be doable, ignore any sense of practical use or safety, and ignore whether it's a complete monster in relation to the rest of the site - as long as its forms look interesting and radical its good".

F that. Developing a radical design is easy, coming up with a sensitive design is hard.
    I'm glad someone else sees this too.

The school we're building is a big contradiction.

They want a low maintenance building, yet they have fluorescent lights 40+ feet up in stair wells.

They want to keep the building vandal proof with their metal grate ceiling tiles to protect their lighting fixtures, yet they have several path lights a few inches off the ground that can be easily damaged. Classroom lights that only hang 8 feet off the ground.

They want to to be relatively green, yet they have outside lights that are pointed up to simply illuminate the building.

Architects suck.

Bo is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    i bought some cute tulips for my bf's mom and told him about it earlier when he texted me, telling me he was leaving downtown from dinner with his parents for mother's day around 5 pm. We were supposed to hang out after, since sunday is kinda our day and now he isn't answering so i guess the flowers are going to waste, i am pissedddd offf the hell off right now!
    "Sometimes the best way to throw a punch is to take a step back"~Morgan freeman

people ignoring my texts but suddently writing back when i accidently sent them the wrong thing...wtf?! ignore ignore ignore all day, and then i sent something that was meant for someone else, like from the middle of our convo, and he immediatly writes back "WAT?" wtf do u mean wat?! u ignored the 5 texts i sent u today saying 'hey' 'you awake?' and little shit like that, but when you clearly see that I'm texting someone else and accidently sent something to YOU, you write back.....im starting to get mad again just thinking about it!!

bah is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    What annoyed me today is that I was expected to chase someone. But all he got was silence.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    i bought some cute tulips for my bf's mom and told him about it earlier when he texted me, telling me he was leaving downtown from dinner with his parents for mother's day around 5 pm. We were supposed to hang out after, since sunday is kinda our day and now he isn't answering so i guess the flowers are going to waste, i am pissedddd offf the hell off right now!
    Hmmm. Instead of throwing them t trash, give it to your own mum? And problem is solved, if she doesn't celebrate mum's day ,tell her it's cause she's the best mum ever or because the sun is shinning ....
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I'm glad someone else sees this too.

The school we're building is a big contradiction.

They want a low maintenance building, yet they have fluorescent lights 40+ feet up in stair wells.

They want to keep the building vandal proof with their metal grate ceiling tiles to protect their lighting fixtures, yet they have several path lights a few inches off the ground that can be easily damaged. Classroom lights that only hang 8 feet off the ground.

They want to to be relatively green, yet they have outside lights that are pointed up to simply illuminate the building.

Architects suck.
    True, I understand the frustrations of other professions in the building industry, be they electricians, plumbers, builders, engineers or city planners - unfortunately if we'd learn enough of the specifics to cope well with all of those aspects we'd have to spend decades to learn it sufficiently well alongside the actual architectural stuff, most good offices have a good range of professionals that they can consult directly to properly cope with these issues. Even as it is now most architects don't take on a leading role in designing unless they've been working for 20-odd years, hopefully the years before that will be good for understanding the detailing.

Got any key ideas to always keep in mind when it comes to working with lights and electrical components? So far our main coverage of that from a practical side of things has been the calculations to achieve the proper light distribution in office buildings, but office buildings also tend to be very rigid and purely functional.
    Last edited by Lipp; 10-05-10 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Depends on who needs to meet more. If they need something from you, then you set the schedule. If its the opposite, then you may need to bend. But I would never tolerate the scenario you just described.

Here how I do this if they hold the cards:

me: We need to meet this week. What works for you?
    them: [insert date]
    me: Great. See you at XXX on YYY

Or, if they are asking for my time its slightly different:

me: I have Monday pm and Friday am open this week. If neither works, please provide an alternative.
    them: Wednesday at 2pm.
    me: Okay, I have a mtg already scheduled for Wed this week, but I will see you at 2pm Wed next week.
    i wish that worked in my case. for me i have to get about 5 or 6 people together to talk about one person. so it really has to be all together. i think i'm just going to leave certain people out. if they give me a date they're available and say they can't make it then fine. don't come. i'll take it as it's not all that important to them.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Got any key ideas to always keep in mind when it comes to working with lights and electrical components? So far our main coverage of that from a practical side of things has been the calculations to achieve the proper light distribution in office buildings, but office buildings also tend to be very rigid and purely functional.
    In my opinion, that's all electrical is for, the practical side of things, especially for office buildings. They just need to make sense.

Does it light the area you need to?

Does it meet your energy criteria?

Is it easy to access and maintain?

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just had the first tiff as a couple with the bf. We had plenty of them as friends and i know how goddamn stubborn he is so this could be fun. :/
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Mother's Day annoyed me... and today is just a reminder of that annoyance...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen