+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I want a dog

Domestic pets generally scare me to death.. only birds I do love and wd like to take care of.

anachronistic Guest
    At one time in my life we had a cat and 3 finches. Guess what happened to the finches? The cat snatched them out of the air and killed each and every one of them.

We used to let the finches fly around in the house.

My mother says that lab retrievers are laid back. I've been around a lot of retrievers, and they seem really hyper to me. She also says that huskies are hyper. I've found that to be false! Sombra, what do you say?

i don't really like golden retrievers. i'm not really into labs either. huskeys are pretty hyper as puppies, but if they're trained well they are great dogs.

what are the attributes you would want in a dog?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

anachronistic Guest
    Yeah I don't really like retrievers or labs either. But I like labs more than retrievers.

Let me get back to the attributes, I'll have to think about that for a bit.

I just want a companion; a dog that will follow me around, be hyper when I am hyper, but calm when I am calm; a dog that will attack anything dangerous to protect us both; a medium/large sized dog; a dog that will sleep at the foot of the bed, but sometimes cuddle with me; a dog that looks intimidating but is still somehow a chick magnet; a guard dog.

I think that's about everything, but I will think about it a little more.

lol, when do you ever feel like you're in danger that you need a guard dog? Don't you mostly live in a cornfield or something?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, at least everyone here seems to like large dogs. I can't stand those little 'kick-me' dogs. Yappy things w/brains to small to train & too fragile to whap w/a newspaper if they do something retarded.

Most hyper breed I've seen was a border collie. Damn, that dog was intelligent tho.

LW, pets are expensive in general. We have a cat, just a freebie from the pound & my son loves her to pieces. But she got hit by a car several years ago & b/c my son was so damn attached to her we spent over $1500 in *dental bills* for the beast. No joke. Ask anyone from a farm where that cat would have gone... anyway I could have gotten an Egyptian Mau for the cost.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My favorite types of dogs are labrador retrievers, followed by a tie between beagles and Siberian huskies, and then German shephards

Yeah, I've seen labradors that are hyper, but I don't think that's a defining characteristic for that breed. My lab is about as mellow as can be, he is unbelievably mellow, and I know an equal number of mellow labs like him as hyper ones

But you wanted one that could also be intimidating... So that would be a no for labs lol. I don't know what girls think of German shephards, but they can be really good companions but also intimidating. My cousins have one, and he barks aggressively at new people unless they are around to get him to chill. But he also has a really soft side and is kind of a baby underneath, so makes a good 'companion'

A stupid German Shepard tried to get my pug this past week. Its owner is an old man that can't control it, and the stupid dog ended up gouging out my husband's stomach and knocked down another old man my husband was talking to.

Incidentally, it was also a shepard that used to terrorize the kids in the neighborhood when I was a kid.

I hate aggressive dogs. They need kicking in the teeth in a really big way.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    lol, when do you ever feel like you're in danger that you need a guard dog? Don't you mostly live in a cornfield or something?
    I don't know if you're kidding or you're just a ****ing idiot.

I'll explain anyway.

Where I live, we have lots of these:

And also lots of these:

We have lots of these too, but they aren't as dangerous, and you can step on them:

We have all kinds of deadly creatures around here... stampeding antelope, deer, I've even heard of a few accounts of bears, but those live in the badlands... we're a little while from there.

We also have wild buffalo, horses, and shit like that, but those aren't usually dangerous. Then again, a dog is not going to stop a buffalo.

I'm not horribly worried about getting attacked or anything. That is a quality I'd like my dog to have. Would you teach your children how to fight, Aegis, or would you just allow for a greater possibility of them getting their ass kicked, or possibly killed?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Well, at least everyone here seems to like large dogs. I can't stand those little 'kick-me' dogs. Yappy things w/brains to small to train & too fragile to whap w/a newspaper if they do something retarded.

Most hyper breed I've seen was a border collie. Damn, that dog was intelligent tho.

LW, pets are expensive in general. We have a cat, just a freebie from the pound & my son loves her to pieces. But she got hit by a car several years ago & b/c my son was so damn attached to her we spent over $1500 in *dental bills* for the beast. No joke. Ask anyone from a farm where that cat would have gone... anyway I could have gotten an Egyptian Mau for the cost.
    Dental bills for a cat? What the hell? Did he have a cavity or something? *snicker* I had to remove rapala shad lure, with 2 treble hooks on it from a dogs mouth. Neighbor's dog.

I dunno what I'd do in an emergency situation. I am sure I would do whatever was best for the animal though.

How much do canine vaccinations cost, and how much do you spend a month on dog food?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Buy an RPG instead

anachronistic Guest
    Why would I want to spend any more of my time staring at a computer monitor?

I already spend at least 8 hours a day, work alone.

Personally, I would skip the dog and move out of the boon-docks (sp?).

it's funny everybody thinks they know how to train dogs, yet most dogs are out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    I don't know if you're kidding or you're just a ****ing idiot.

I'll explain anyway.

Where I live, we have lots of these:

And also lots of these:

We have lots of these too, but they aren't as dangerous, and you can step on them:

We have all kinds of deadly creatures around here... stampeding antelope, deer, I've even heard of a few accounts of bears, but those live in the badlands... we're a little while from there.

We also have wild buffalo, horses, and shit like that, but those aren't usually dangerous. Then again, a dog is not going to stop a buffalo.

I'm not horribly worried about getting attacked or anything. That is a quality I'd like my dog to have. Would you teach your children how to fight, Aegis, or would you just allow for a greater possibility of them getting their ass kicked, or possibly killed?

Dental bills for a cat? What the hell? Did he have a cavity or something? *snicker* I had to remove rapala shad lure, with 2 treble hooks on it from a dogs mouth. Neighbor's dog.

I dunno what I'd do in an emergency situation. I am sure I would do whatever was best for the animal though.

How much do canine vaccinations cost, and how much do you spend a month on dog food?
    those animals would seriously hurt your dog.

one snake bite to the leg and he/she is done for. a dog (any dog) has little defense against those things.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    Why would I want to spend any more of my time staring at a computer monitor?

I already spend at least 8 hours a day, work alone.
    I meant an RPG like a rocket propelled grenade launcher

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast