+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: what can I do to improve

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ApexSeal View Post
    It does.

But I don't go around laughing at people because they're unattractive (note: one N, not two. pay attention in class, son.). Her daughter does. She is part of the problem in our society.

And unfortunately for Pooker, more of our society is comprised of individuals like Shh's daughter rather than myself, which means he has to be concious of what's "normal", and dress so as not to invite belittlement.

But this isn't a philosophy class any more than it is a fashion discussion forum. Keep it on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ApexSeal View Post
    GRAMMER 101 FOR APEX SEAL

It does, but I don't go around laughing at people because they're unattractive; her daughter does (Note: one N; not two. Pay attention in class, son [NO FCUKING PERIODS AT THE END OF A PARENTHETICAL PHRASE!]). She is part of the problem in our society.

[SECOND TO LAST 'SENTENCE' MUST GO DIRECTLY BEFORE THE PARENTHESES PHRASE, WITH A PRECEDING SEMICOLON BECAUSE IT IS NOT A COMPLETE SENTENCE.]

And unfortunately for Pooker, most of our society is comprised of individuals like Shh's daughter rather than myself, which means he has to be conscious of what's "normal", and dress so as not to invite belittlement.

['MORE....THAN'. NEVER JUST 'MORE'; REPLACE WITH 'MOST'.]

But this isn't a philosophy class any more than it is a fashion discussion thread; keep it on topic.

[NOTE: THIS IS NOT A FORUM; IT IS A THREAD.]
    ^^ Ich nehme es an, wenn ich einen Fehler vergessen hätte, würdet irgendeiner mir korrigieren. ^_^

Don't be such a grammar nazi. I'm pretty sure it's obvious I know how to spell... is that the best insult you've got, or are you just being an idiot?

I don't think kids who base their attraction on deeper qualities than outward fashion are the ones who are the problem with society; I think that's the way to go. Frankly, I think the real problem with society is people like you, when say it is not okay to wear cheaper clothing. That is only promoting the problem.

Unfortunately for people like you, without philosophy, you don't know the reality of things. Even though something like attraction and appearance is very simple and easy to understand, I think you're poorly mistaken with your investments in overpriced clothing, and eventually you'll wish you hadn't paid the price to discover something so simple. You do have a general concept on how it all works, but your views on fashion are very flawed. In my opinion of course - constructive criticism, not meant to be taken offensively.

Anyway, I am on topic... not only on topic, but I am sure pooker is interested in what I have to say. So don't try to weasel your way out of the debate with that petty excuse.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 31-07-08 at 06:50 PM.

Anyone driving around on tires that cost ten times more than another set of tires that do 99% of the same thing is going to be subject to some understandable amount of criticism. Plus, a very appearance-conscious look is sometimes associated with the terms "frat boy" or metrosexual, which doesn't help anything, especially if they're ideal man more resembles the Marlboro Man. God I don't really know where this is going...lol

Anyway, Pooker, I think you're getting some very pointed advice from Neo & ApexSeal, and based on what I can remember of your post, you'll want to heed what they tell you. I don't personally subscribe to it, and others don't as well, but I think they're giving some fairly useful pointers, nonetheless.
    Last edited by Aegis; 31-07-08 at 10:04 PM.

Apex, you clearly have an unhealthy emotional attachment to your clothing. Shame on you for not having the confidence to be unaffected by what young girls giggle about amongst themselves (which BTW doesn't include their attractiveness, but rather clothes purchased specifically from Abercrombie being worn by males).

And for the record, my daughter is one of the kindest-hearted kids there are. She volunteers 6 hours a week at the local food pantry, and as such, is exposed to people with more to worry about than buying overpriced clothing. But not to worry: there are (sadly) plenty of girls who will be impressed by your wardrobe. I'm just really glad my daughter isn't one of them.
    Last edited by shh!; 31-07-08 at 09:51 PM.

Good god.

Pooker, let me break it down for you. We're all telling you the same thing; we just disagree in the details.

We're all telling you not to wear anything that'll stand out (expensive "designer" clothing, and cheap garbage clothing). Only difference is, we disagree on what is considered "expensive" and what is "cheap". Simply put, if something is so expensive you'll be noticed for it, that's too expensive. Likewise, if something is so cheap you'll be noticed for it, it's too cheap. So, you're going to need to be observant, and based on what you see around you, determine what is "the norm" among your peers.

Ana: Enough. You've missed my point time and time again and now the two of us are cluttering up Pooker's thread with useless banter. He can benefit from both our opinions without our arguing over the details.

Shh!: I don't dress in anything that would impress any girls. I don't wish to stand out.
    Furthermore, I'm a biomedical engineering major. I've previously interned at the local hospital conducting research on diagnosing terminally ill cancer patients. As such, I have been exposed to people with even more to worry about than overpriced clothing.

Except AEagle isn't overpriced. Rock and Republic is overpriced. True Religion is overpriced. When you're paying $200-300 for a pair of jeans, that is overpriced.

We simply grew up in different times, and live in different places. Had I grown up in your neighborhood in the time that you did, I would share your opinion on what is acceptable. Pooker would do well to figure out for himself what's right for him.

"Shame on you for not having the confidence to be unaffected by what young girls giggle about amongst themselves (which BTW doesn't include their attractiveness, but rather clothes purchased specifically from Abercrombie being worn by males)."

I grew up poor too, so I know all about being ridiculed by others for my appearance. I came out better for it, but it's still not right. The honest truth is that in this world, if everyone around you is wearing Abercrombie, you're going to have to suck it up, get a job, and do what you can to fit in. *Especially* in highschool where everyone is fixated on the superficial. Pooker happens to be in that environment.

Appearance is appearance. You're no better than the thugs laughing at your cheap clothing if you're laughing at others for their expensive clothing. If there's one thing I'll be passing on to my kids, it'll be unconditional respect. Understand how the world works, that others will act the way they do, but rise above and choose to be respectful.
    Last edited by ApexSeal; 01-08-08 at 04:51 AM.

OP, can you give us an update?

pooker im in a similar situation except i might have waited too long to say something, im very timid still but had low self esteem back then. My advice is look for anything that will help your confidence level (Music was even even helpful to me). Also remember even though she might seem seem holy and untouchable she is human too.

I remember when I was younger I really struggled with my looks(a bit overweigth). I started training and I'm in pretty good shape now, this has given me more confidence, even tough I'm still a little bit shy.

It's not like you have to do anything drastic, just see the positive change working out gives you.

So what ended up happening with the girl? lol

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OMG, the kids nowadays are dressing up like comic book characters? Hahahaha, what a regression! Okay, if I had to do that, here's what I would wear:

Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    OMG, the kids nowadays are dressing up like comic book characters? Hahahaha, what a regression! Okay, if I had to do that, here's what I would wear:

Then we'd have to see your spider veins!
    I don't chase, I replace.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Pooker, you look like a very nice-looking young man. My advice to you is to remember that you generally attract what you project.

So, if you are looking for a relatively shallow girl who is more interested in her clothes & makeup than her intellect or grades, then focus on clothes.

Otherwise, I would just go for a clean, well-kempt look that shows you care about looking decent but not to the point of obsession. You are handsome enough that you will get lots of girls without having to resort to superficial fakery. Personality, intelligence and confidence will get you much farther than some clothing label.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Then we'd have to see your spider veins!
    Oh no, I'd look awesome. Ask Tone or Gribble.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Oh no, I'd look awesome. Ask Tone or Gribble.
    Aww how come they get to see what you look like?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567