+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maturity

Maturity

How do you define 'maturity'? I would say it is not 100% age related. Do problems help us be mature enough in a short period of time? What else could it be related to?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've known enough immature middle aged shitbags to know it isn't 100% age based.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Being too mature sucks though. I'd rather play a game against my younger bro than chat with guests about camping equipment and wages. Growing up sucks.

Maturity is nothing more than possessing common sense AND utilizing it, in addition to taking responsibility for your actions. It is not age-dependent, but you can be sure that if you have to tell people you are mature, you aren't.
    Last edited by shh!; 28-07-08 at 04:33 AM.

anachronistic Guest
    Kind of what Shh said.

Maturity is your reasoning for doing things. Sometimes it takes more than common sense to have a better reason.

I know I'm mature in a certain sense. For example, I hold down a good job, I pay all my bills and rent on time, I keep lasting friendships with people. etc.,

But sometimes I feel ridiculously immature. I can get really silly at the drop of a hat.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Maturity is nothing more than possessing common sense AND utilizing it, in addition to taking responsibility for your actions. It is not age-dependent, but you can be sure that if you have to tell people you are mature, you aren't.
    Its actually more than this. Lots of ppl have common sense. Many even know how to utilize it. Most ppl know what they should do & they even know why. What I consider immature is the lack of ability to control themselves enough to use what they know appropriately.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Its actually more than this. Lots of ppl have common sense. Many even know how to utilize it. .
    That's why I said you have to utilize the common sense to be considered mature. (At least, that's what I thought I said.)

Definitions go back to Maturity being a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner.

But I'd say maturity is being relaxed enough to know that most things in life are nothing to worry about. This state is the height of human development.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    the question is, what adult is really mature?? we all have our moments.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I think every one has his/her moments to feel and behave like a child or immature person while most of the time he is mature and self-dependent. I agree with Illusional.

Maturity is the ability to make uninfluenced right decisions, your own decisions, regardless of what others think or suggest. This includes someones advice, you make your own decision, calculate the pros and cons of someones advice and then decide by yourself. And also, I consider maturity the ability to face reality as it is, without illusions. Many people seem to fail that. Dealing with the brutal reality is another thing, some let it go, some try to fix it, this is again the uninfluenced decisions part.

Ok, actually its when people grow pubic hair, next step is having a ****.
    Last edited by boobaa; 29-07-08 at 05:32 AM.
    Don't expect anything.

I think it has a lot to do with taking responsibility and also accepting things as they are when you realize you can't do anything about it.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    .....but you can be sure that if you have to tell people you are mature, you aren't.
    Amen to that.

It's funny how one's definition of 'maturity' changes over time. I thought myself VERY mature when I was 21, but now I tend to think I'm LESS mature. I think I make good choices in my life, I'm emotionally and financially stable; but really, sometimes I like to do 'immature' things like get drunk and play video games, or have sleepovers at my girl friends houses, or go to the go cart track and race my friends.

However, I'm starting to get away from the whole idea that these things are not age-appropriate. I'd hate to think that getting older means not having fun anymore.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    when i'm intoxicated i'm probably the least mature one out of all my friends.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast