+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Have You Changed?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

How Much Have You Changed?

Within, say, the last 5 years or so.

And/Or, did you experience anything that changed the way you lived your life?

I've changed a shitload... especially since high school.

Life changers?

Getting contact lenses and getting rid of my thick glasses. Doesn't sound like much, but that's the #1 thing that influenced everything else.

And taking up martial arts.

anachronistic Guest
    I'd say 5 years ago, that I was a typical every day 14 year old guy, with the hormones of a rabbit.

Now I'd say I am pretty psychotic... not necessarily with pessimistic views... but I think I understand a lot. This forum has definitely contributed to that; making me a very open-minded person, and allowing me to be able to give good criticism. I'm not afraid to speak my mind anymore; I've discovered the potential I have, and I am taking advantage of that.

I know there is a lot of change in character with people around those ages, however, I think I changed maybe 3-4 times as much.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 01-08-08 at 08:39 AM.

Great question! Now how have I changed? Thinkita...thinkita...I guess I would say I've become more successful over the last 5 years. I held out for the job that I have always wanted and finally got it. I've been doing it now for a year and a half and have realized that I am a pretty darn good manager and mentor. I also was in a long term relationship that changed me (the guy before the sloth) although t's pretty complicated to go into now. I suppose I'll write something about him eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Within, say, the last 5 years or so.

And/Or, did you experience anything that changed the way you lived your life?
    - Failing a project in my MBA program
    - Applying for a job
    - My father's first heart attack
    - Being accepted to my first job
    - Skiing accident
    - Breaking up from a long term relationship
    - Finding LF
    - Getting promoted
    - Falling in love and trying to not let it ruin my life

Are you thinking about taking a major life step Frasbee?

Well, the last 5 years have without doubt been the best as well as the worst of my life.

5 years ago, teenager doing an average effort at a somewhat shabby domestic school which closed down and got bulldozed as soon as my grade finished due to people setting off fire alarms and crashing windows.

2 1/2-4 years ago, studying at what we call the Gymnasium via the swedish school system, lost a lot of old social contacts from splitting up and lacked any enthusiasm to study which led to failing several courses and heading downhill fast.

1/2 - 2 1/2 years ago, moved to Sri lanka and took on a tough course at an international school with great teachers, shaped up and pulled through, met good friends but remained somewhat reclusive. Got some work experience after graduating and had grades good enough to get accepted into each of the top unis I applied for in Australia.

0 - 1/2 years ago , began studying at uni here in melbourne, changed the aim for my intended professional career quite drastically and have met awesome friends to hang out with. The future is looking bright as long as the tuition fees don't rise up too far.

Honestly, 4 years ago I was likely to end up flipping burgers for a living after flunking out of school . Today I am getting a better education than anyone that I ever met back then, with a great collection of friends and a career to aim for.

anachronistic Guest
    ^ It's not where you've been, it's not where you're going, but the trip along the way.

I've matured a lot! I'm a whole different person. I get told I act too old for my age sometimes. My response is always, "you act too young for your age." I actually find myself enjoying hanging out with more mature people. Another positive of cycling. The majority of people are AT LEAST mid 20's. The people I last rode with were 40+ and they gave me great advice and had some interesting conversations.

I've changed a lot since breaking up with my ex, I learned and fixed a lot of flaws I had about myself. I learned to be happy with myself without the need for a significant other. I've also learned that I don't have to tolerate the bs I put up with. That there are better people out there that can respect me and love me for who I am, not what I am.

I'm sooooo much less shy and more confident just going up to random people and talking. Physically I'm probably the leanest I've ever been and still getting better. Which has to do with my cycling addiction.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was all set to join the Naval Academy in Annapolis. And then I became disillusioned with my country and disgusted with civilization on a whole.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post

Getting contact lenses and getting rid of my thick glasses. Doesn't sound like much, but that's the #1 thing that influenced everything else.
    Getting rid of your glasses? lol
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

As years roll by I seem to become a more and more careless person. I seem to be getting tired of everything. I am also tired and sick of living in this god for saken garbage heap brick jungle people call Illinois.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Getting rid of your glasses? lol
    Seriously... they were really thick and made my eyes look huge. I felt fugly, people made fun of me, I was never popular. I had literally never seen my face without glasses. And of course, what boy would ever date me? None...at...all. My self-esteem was zilch.

When I got rid of them and got contact lenses I saw my face and was like "hey...I'm not that fugly... actually, do the hair this way or that and... I could be pretty".

People started giving me the time of day and I was getting male attention! I got much more confident and happy with myself. All because of some stupid glasses.

I want eyeglasses...mostly so I can get insurance to pay for some nice oakley prescription sunglasses. I've got an eye appointment next month.

I lost mine, I had them for over 4 years. Ohh well, they served me well .

anachronistic Guest
    Eyeglasses will never correct my vision problems... but I have adapted.

Sometimes the most beautiful eyes are blind.

Gribble, I am disgusted with civilization in a similar way.

Tedel Guest
    I'd say much.

Five years ago...

I was a virgin.
    I was full of money problems.
    I didn't understand myself (I hadn't discovered I was highly gifted)

...among others.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast