+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My sister is driving me nuts!

My sister is driving me nuts!

Here's another twisted tale for the LF...My sister and I have been getting along horribly for two years now. She lives in England and we talk about once or twice a week on the phone and AIM with each other. Our bickering is getting so bad, that we are close to completely giving up on trying to have a good relationship with one another. We never see eye to eye on anything, our arguments start over the stupidest things, and once they do, we end up in a big blow out with both of us picking at old wounds until one of us hangs up on the other. For godsakes, we're adults and we shouldn't be acting like this, yet there seems to be no end in sight.

She's my twin, and my only sibling, and I'd really love to have a good relationship with her. Does anyone else fight constantly with a sibling? Any advice or tips on how two crazy sisters can get along better?

My observation is that children in one family are either very close to their parents, or very close to their siblings... not usually both. In my family, the sisters are extremely bonded, but we all dislike our mom.

I think if you want to avoid fighting, just agree with everything she says, and privately roll your eyes. It is hard at first, but it gets easier with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    My observation is that children in one family are either very close to their parents, or very close to their siblings... not usually both. In my family, the sisters are extremely bonded, but we all dislike our mom.
    Bingo. Both my sister and I are very close to our mom, but have always fought with each other. And my poor mom, always in the middle of two she-beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    I think if you want to avoid fighting, just agree with everything she says, and privately roll your eyes. It is hard at first, but it gets easier with practice.
    Knowing my sis, she'd probably think something was wrong with me for not arguing with her. And then have something else to criticize me about!

It is probably just some residual sibling rivalry. As for handling criticism, I find it is best to just remove yourself from the "competition". For example, if she criticizes you for not arguing, just say "yeah, I know. I can't keep up with your wit today. I'm getting old and slow" Smile, and change the subject.

She'll get tired of being the bitchy sister at some point.

anachronistic Guest
    My brother and I fight like every single day. Fist fights sometimes. It's always the 4th Reich over here!

Take everything with a grain of salt, and be able to laugh at the old wounds. I know it's not the easiest thing to do, as one with many wounds, still healing, and scars from those that finally have.