+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Save consistently!

anachronistic Guest

Save consistently!

I am working on a document for my website, for business. I had my certification and everything all typed up, about a 9 page description of the services I offer, and I was in the middle of making a table for the software I have experience with when the electricity shut off!

I have the new Mac OS. I need to get into a habit of saving consistently... I didn't have my battery in the laptop because I have it plugged in all the time... so why waste the lithium ions, right? Well ****in-A, bad time to have it out. I need to get into a habit of using the new time machine technology, too. I have always backed up my things using Carbon Copy Cloner... time machine is supposed to be much better though. My external HD has a lot of space on it that needs to be used... if an external was just as fast as my internal, I would boot up with the external instead, and then I could dedicate my internal to my gaming partition.

Gruggh... now I have to type all that back out.. maybe it will come out more eloquently this time, though.

Microsoft word I think automatically backs up what you're typing every x minutes. I don't know what you've got on your mac. I tend to just automatically press ctrl+s every few minutes when I'm typing up a document, it's a habit I've had for years.

As for a faster external hard drive. Ever heard of esata?

You can grab yourself an esata express card slot, put that in your express card slot on your laptop. This will add an esata socket. Now get yourself an external hard drive enclosure that has esata on it, drop yourself a sata drive into the hard drive and you've got yourself an external drive that is just as fast as an internal. Esata is basically external sata. Sata is what almost all new laptops and computers use. Of course there is sas and scsi, but that's more geared for server use.

But anyways, grab an esata express card, an external hard drive enclosure with esata, and a sata hard drive.

If it were me, I'd keep the os and bare minimums on the internal hard drive and put all the games and media on the external. It's kind of dumb to have the os on the external, cause then you're stuck lugging it around even when you don't want to play games.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 07-08-08 at 12:28 PM.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Microsoft word I think automatically backs up what you're typing every x minutes. I don't know what you've got on your mac. I tend to just automatically press ctrl+s every few minutes when I'm typing up a document, it's a habit I've had for years.

As for a faster external hard drive. Ever heard of esata?

You can grab yourself an esata express card slot, put that in your express card slot on your laptop. This will add an esata socket. Now get yourself an external hard drive enclosure that has esata on it, drop yourself a sata drive into the hard drive and you've got yourself an external drive that is just as fast as an internal. Esata is basically external sata. Sata is what almost all new laptops and computers use. Of course there is sas and scsi, but that's more geared for server use.

But anyways, grab an esata express card, an external hard drive enclosure with esata, and a sata hard drive.

If it were me, I'd keep the os and bare minimums on the internal hard drive and put all the games and media on the external. It's kind of dumb to have the os on the external, cause then you're stuck lugging it around even when you don't want to play games.
    Well if it weren't so late, I would check out the esata thing. I'll have to do that tomorrow, and get back on this thread afterwards.

I don't know a whole lot about how some games install themselves to Windows computers these days... since it is all automated, I really have no idea what goes where.. there always seems to be files and information that go into registry and all that. I guess I could always put the files in the "Program Files" folder on an external and redirect the path. But do you still get the most out of your FPS? I don't think so... so this would be a bad idea with some of the games I have... I don't have the best computer out there; my computer lags on some of the newer games, giving me really crappy FPS especially when it loads in the middle of gameplay, as opposed to a loadscreen. So ultimately, it really depends on how the games are programmed, if it preloads graphics and shit and things like taht.

By the way, since the document is for my website, I format it on Dreamweaver. The version I have is the old Macromedia Dreamweaver 8, and it doesn't automatically save anything, unless the program crashes. If your computer crashes, you're shit out of luck.

Esata = external sata

Sata = the internal connection used by hard drives

esata speed = sata speed

You'll noticed virtually no difference in speed

USB 2.0 will get about 60mb/s, rarely.

6 pin firewire will max at 480mb/s
    9 pin firewire will max at 800mb/s

Sata will max at 1.5gb/s(1500mb/s)
    Sata 3.0gb/s is obviously 3.0gb/s (3000mb/s)

Sata 1.5 or 3.0 will be determined by your computer and what it's capable of taking. They're usually backwards compatible, which means that if you do run a 3.0 on a computer that isn't capable of it, it will just run it as a 1.5. Most standard laptops have 1.5, but higher end ones do have 3.0.

As for running the games off of the external drive, it shouldn't be a problem. What you would do is plug the external drive in. It will show up in My Computer just like a standard hard drive. When you go to install your game, just install it on that drive. All registry and files necessary to run the game should point to the external drive. So long as it's plugged in, it should work. The shortcuts that were made, either on the desktop or in the start menu should also point to the files on the external drive.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 07-08-08 at 02:07 PM.

When I first read the title I thought it'd be a budgeting thread, seeing as one of the richest guys in the world became so because instead of lucky speculation or a boom he made sure that he had 15% or more growth every year, and so continuously for 40 years so that his wealth grew and grew.

But no.