+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Back to guitar

anachronistic Guest

The hobbies thread.

I haven't played guitar for 4 months. I am going to hook the amp up and play for a few hours, see where those moments take me.

My last two years in high school were a really discouraging few. Being in band and chorus, music lost its fun. Practice was too strict. I feel ready to go back to it now, though.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 12-08-08 at 11:35 AM.

I've always wanted to learn to play guitar. But I have WAY too many hobbies and a lot of them aren't cheap.

anachronistic Guest
    Once you have a guitar, the only thing you will really have to invest in is cleaning it every now and then and putting new strings on at least once a month. Strings cost about $7.

I am done for the evening, my left hand is all worn out. I put new strings on, tuned it up, played the casual stairway to heaven and an is there anybody out there.. then iI fiddled around for a bit, tried to improvise with some chords. I had a moment where I felt like I was reinventing the wheel. You know, I am sick of tablatures. I am sick of learning licks from Hendrix songs, I'm sick of being able to play Pink Floyd solos and shit. It's time to move onto the creative side. In my five years of playing guitar, I didn't do a whole lot of composing. I mostly just learned how to play everyone else's stuff. I want to do my own thing now...

Anyway, I had to relearn where all the notes were on the fretboard and everything. I know where all the notes are up to the D string, on standard tuning. All I did was scale up and down the fretboard as fast as I could, and I even improvised with the notes a little, coming up with basslines and things.

Aside from guitar, I have started working out routinely. I am working out every day now. I think 2 hours of guitar, 2 hours for workout, 4 hours for sketching and drawing, an hour listening to German radio and reading German Wikipedia articles, about 2 hours of cleaning cooking and eating... that gives me about.. 3-4 hours to dick around on the computer and play videogames and what not.

Not going to be on here so much anymore.

Anyway, instead of talking about guitar, I figured this will be the hobby thread. Post away people.

I played a new tune I wrote for my new lyrics last night to death, then went through the ussual replay of favourite guitar riffs from Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Soilwork, At the Gates, Carcass....

My guitar is a time machine. I start playing then I realize I've been teleported 3 hours into the future.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    I am working out every day now.
    Don't overtrain...you'll end up plateauing and feeling like you're going nowhere. Find a schedule and stick to it. I may be a skinny ass but I was skinner before I actually started lifting. Stopped doing that because it really wasn't my thing.

But since this is now a hobby thread. Let's start.

Computers and electronics have always been a hobby of mine ever since I was young...it's like an endless money pit. Technology is always advancing, things become better, faster, etc. WAY too much money in this.

Skateboarding, although not a very large one, did it for about 3 years and got bored with it. No more than $300.

Paintballing, that was a big hobby. I played for about 5 years. But most of my friends that I played with went to different colleges and we stopped playing as much as we used to. I haven't really kept up with it. I think I've been twice in the last six months. I used to be a paintball addict, and that stuff isn't cheap. Roughly $2000 in equipment and paint/air/entrance fee for all 5 years. Which is cheap considering I played pump for about 4.5 years. So paint and air prices weren't too big of a deal for me.

Cars, sure I drive a crappy car, but it's running like new. Rebuilt engine, suspension, brakes, other things here and there. It works, gets me where I need to go. Now it's mostly just maintenance work. Roughly $2000 in parts.

Soccer and running were really big in high school. Played all 4 years don't really run anymore, soccer I play for fun now. Pretty cheap hobby other than cleats, running shoes, and shorts when they got worn down.

Photography. Since 7th grade I've been taking pictures when I got my first SLR for Christmas/birthday combo present. I kind of slowed down a bit in High School mostly because I really didn't have many interesting things or places to go to take pictures of, since I didn't really have a car for the large part of being in highschool. Graduation money paid for a new camera and lens which I use now. Last christmas and birthday money paid for my second lens. Planning on buying a flash as well which I really need because the popup flash is weak and it doesn't even reach over my lenses, it casts a shadow. Well over $2000 into this hobby.

Cycling. I'm addicted to it. I keep pushing myself farther and farther. I have plans to do a big race sometime in the future. Yesterday I pushed myself harder and faster than I have ever gone and I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out when I got back to the car. But once that went away I felt good because I've never done that well and it means I'll only do better. Just shy of $2000 in this hobby.

Jeez...I just realized I've spent a shitload of money. I think I need to cutback on my spending with my hobbies.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 12-08-08 at 11:54 AM.

me gusta tocar guitarra
    me gusta cantar el son
    el mariachi me acompania
    cuando canto mi cancion!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muUEu1TDF1o"]YouTube - Song --- DESPERADO[/ame]
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

ayayayay

Ay, ay mi amor
    Ay mi morena
    De mi corazon

I used to sing that song to my ex.. memories
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

anachronistic Guest
    i understand very little spanish. i might try to study it again someday.