+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to pull money out of my ass.

anachronistic Guest

Need to pull money out of my ass.

I feel like I am in a tight position with money right now. I hope some of you can give some suggestions to help me get through this. I am going to be emailing a couple people at college to ask them what kind of opportunities I have.

My painting professor just sent out the supply list for this year's class. I feel like ripping my hair out. Guess how much it's going to cost?

About $450.

On the supply list, the professor mentions that it is necessary to purchase this materials in order to succeed in class. You know what? That's like 1/3 of my summer savings right there. He also mentions after estimating the total cost, that it is cheap compared to the other art emphases.

I am also in Photo I. If that's going to be more expensive, I'm going to rip my balls off. I have a very sad feeling in the pit of my stomach... and I feel like my chance to go to Germany has been flushed down the toilet.

Books for other classes cost as much as $80. I usually find them for about $20 though. Overall for this semester, I am looking at spending $1000 on books and materials. Jiminy ****ing Christmas people.

For the school year I get about $16,361. That is all the grants, loans, and scholarships I have been awarded. It also includes the money I will earn through the work-study program. I'm not sure how much that is compared to last year. Probably about $2000-3000, I will have to check.

The tuition for school, plus room and board and all those other costs, it is about $6000. That will leave me with about $2000 for the rest of the semester. So, I'll have my books and everything, all my summer savings will be gone, and I will have $2000 to live off of from September to December. The student meal plan, included in the other costs, lasts maybe until mid-November, if I only eat 2 meals a day. I usually end up spending about $600 for food on the weekend/after the meal plan runs out.... also on laundry, trip back home for thanksgiving and so forth. So I will have about $1400 left over at the end of the semester, if I don't spend it like a jackass.

So that's about $9500 for my trip to Germany. I have to pay my school's tuition for my semester in Germany. Not exactly sure how much that is... probably about $4000. Convert the rest into Euros, I'll have about €2500. I will have to pay for a room and board, a meal plan, a few train passes and other costs. There goes all of that money, and maybe a little more.

Plus I still have to buy plane tickets. I *do* have a scholarship that pays for $500 of the plane ticket cost. I will discuss that at the beginning of the semester with my professor. I have to buy a passport. That is another $100. I am going to order that at the beginning of the school year. Then I will need €4000 more to live off of and maybe occasional fun. Could I possibly get financial aid for this, if there is none available through school? I don't have shit for credit, my mom has gone bankrupt a number of times... this is going to be rough for me.

I am looking for a job for my time between Christmas and April... still no luck. I figure, minimum wage, full time, that's about $3000... then you convert that into Euros... that's about $1750. I don't doubt that the Euro will increase in worth by that time.

What are your opinions and suggestions?

In a bit of a rough spot myself when the tuition fee "estimated" maximum was $22000 and the fee is now up at $26500 yearly.

Myself I'm aiming to live on a routine and find a job, though still not sure of how the hell Im supposed to keep a part-time job and studies going simultaneously.
    I got myself a bike, so when planning ahead that will save me $100 monthly when its value has been compensated for in 6 months. Trying to establish a bit of a routine, so I don't go shopping for clothes (unless they're at a really good price), try to do my own cooking as its usually better price/gain-wise instead of junk food (gas bills included in my rent costs), and yeah just trying to minimize impulses to spend such as snacks, alcohol at parties or expensive food on night's out. I must have spent a whole lot of extras during the last semester on joining up for clubs, going to the movies, buying clothes, loads of food and public transport tickets. Ugh.

Will let you know if it worked in 6 months.

What about your two guitars, 3000$ computer, a car and what more...?
    Don't expect anything.

Maybe you should get a job during the school semester.

Personally, if I had to cut expenses somewhere, I wouldn't get rid of the computer, You will need it for school. The car may be expendable, depending on how good the public transportation is at your school. The trip to Germany is a luxury you may not be able to afford without continual, steady employment.

BTW - I wouldn't count on $20 textbooks for any math or science courses. They cost me about $75 if I can find them used, and as much as $140 if they are using a new edition.
    Last edited by shh!; 13-08-08 at 10:06 PM.

woe is you.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Can you ask your parents to give you the money?

Quote Originally Posted by Citycat View Post
    Yeah always the parents... Well, some people aren't lucky enough to be born in welfare.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post

Personally, if I had to cut expenses somewhere, I wouldn't get rid of the computer, You will need it for school. The car may be expendable, depending on how good the public transportation is at your school. The trip to Germany is a luxury you may not be able to afford without continual, steady employment.

BTW - I wouldn't count on $20 textbooks for any math or science courses. They cost me about $75 if I can find them used, and as much as $140 if they are using a new edition.
    Don't even get me started.

My school did something beyond screwed up to me for a few classes. We COULDN'T buy the books used and could only buy new because they weren't bound. They were loose leaf that we had to put into binders ourselves and we had to buy them because they came with the stupid coursecompass.com passcode.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Thats what I call capitalism.

One day you will be a company owner and will try to find all kinds of ways to increase your profit.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Don't even get me started.

My school did something beyond screwed up to me for a few classes. We COULDN'T buy the books used and could only buy new because they weren't bound. They were loose leaf that we had to put into binders ourselves and we had to buy them because they came with the stupid coursecompass.com passcode.
    I had an English professor who purposely chose books based on being able to get them cheap. I wish all professors were so conscientious.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Wow, Cain. I feel bad for you.

I have the utmost respect for the small handful of professors who refuse to allow their students to be exploited and who teach without textbooks. Those guys are awesome.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Wow, Cain. I feel bad for you.

I have the utmost respect for the small handful of professors who refuse to allow their students to be exploited and who teach without textbooks. Those guys are awesome.
    I don't mind buying a book as long as I can get it used. These I had to buy new and I couldn't even sell them back. Plus, they weren't bound so were easily ripped from the binders... and for about the same price as normal books? Bullshit... $80 easily for that crap.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    What about your two guitars, 3000$ computer, a car and what more...?
    I cannot get rid of my computer or my car. Those are things I depend on. I need my computer for work and school. I need my vehicle because I live in the middle of nowhere, and college is 6 hours away. Maybe you have public transportation where you live, but even if I could take the bus, I would have to drive 3 hours to it. It just would not be worth it. My guitars, I could sell those, but chances are, I am going to get less than what they are worth; maybe $100 if I get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post

No math courses this semester. I paid $20 for my math book last year... I paid $15 for my Psych book. I am in Earth Science, Creative Writing, and German III. I have the book for German III, it's the same text book as German IV which I already took. I am sure there will be a few novels I will have to purchase, a lab manual and the text book for Earth Science.

Quote Originally Posted by Citycat View Post
    haha, hahahaha.... my parents do not have any money. see, i would have about $3000 in savings right now, if i didn't not have to help with bills.

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    if i didn't not
    It's a good thing you're taking creative writing.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    It's a good thing you're taking creative writing.
    Are you calling me a liar? I really do have to help out with bills. My family can barely support itself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast