+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easing back into things

anachronistic Guest

Easing back into things

I've been doing some light weight training the past few weeks, in attempt to get back in shape. I can't really do much though with the little equipment I have, and not a gym miles around.

Most of what I'm doing is upper body strength; dumbell presses, dumbell curls, bridges, inclined dumbell presses. Right now I am at about 50 lbs curling, 50 lbs press, and 30 lbs bridges. I need to be lifting a lot more when I am pressing. My max bench press is somewhere around 175 lbs, and 50 lbs is only about 1/3 of that. Curling, I will need to put more plates on in a few days, I am outgrowing 50 lbs. I used to do about 80 lbs, 100 max. Bridges have always been a weak point for me, but I am really trying to build those upper pectorals.

When I go back to school, I plan to go to the gym 2 times a week, and do light weight every night in my room, with the dumbells. I really need to start doing some lower body strength. Going to do a lot of leg presses to build my ass back up. Maybe get my uncoordinated ass to do some jump-roping to get my stamina up. I really need to start doing some light cardio, I think I am going to run around a little bit here, but my blood is really thick right now, my feet go numb very quick.

My diet is mostly meat, and it's always been, but I've been eating a lot of vegetables too. Every meal I eat at least a pot of greenbeans or 2-3 ears of corn. Every now and then I'll eat some cucumbers (shut up) and carrots, and an occasional baked potato. Sometimes I have french fries. I eat a lot of wheats. Need to eat a little more dairy, I HATE milk! I just finished eating an orange and a banana. I eat at least 1 fruit a day.

Suggestions? I am trying to get my body fat as close to 0 as I can. Just got about 10 lbs on my tummy, and little bit everywhere else. Places where I have the most fat (this is pretty typical, I've read) tummy, sides, and ass. Just a smidgen on my chest, and my arms and legs are mostly muscle. My biceps are as big as softballs!

My goals are to increase my stamina, burn off some body fat, and gain some muscle in places where I don't have much, like my sides, and of course have fun in the process! Suggestions?

edit: yeah, I ran... for about 15 minutes. Good start huh?
    Last edited by anachronistic; 21-08-08 at 07:28 PM.

anachronistic Guest
    Also, here's a question for some of you:

I don't recall ever spraining my arm or anything, but every time I do pushups, my left Teres Major muscle starts cramping up and I have to stop. What's causing that? Too much work?

LW, my personal trainer says that you should do the cardio for at least 30 minutes to burn off fat. He never trains me without making me do at least 30 of fairly intense (like sweating and out of breath) cardio before we hit the weights.

I don't know about your arm thing. Maybe you need to stretch more?

you could do some squats for your legs. no use in having a built upper body if you have scrawny legs.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    you could do some squats for your legs. no use in having a built upper body if you have scrawny legs.
    if only i had the weight to lift... the last time i leg pressed, 300 lbs. i'll have to wait till i go back to college.

well then, keep on with your saggy ass.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    LW, my personal trainer says that you should do the cardio for at least 30 minutes to burn off fat. He never trains me without making me do at least 30 of fairly intense (like sweating and out of breath) cardio before we hit the weights.

I don't know about your arm thing. Maybe you need to stretch more?
    I ran until I couldn't feel my legs enough to lift them. It's going to take me a few days to build up to that level.

Maybe I didn't stretch enough... that's been happening every time I do pushups, since like the beginning of summer. Not sure what's going on! I do stretch though.

anachronistic Guest
    Guten Morgen Jemand!

I just finished running this morning. Ughhh now I have a horrible headache! No pain no gain though. I probably have the headache because I stayed up all night (I couldn't sleep very well ) Also, my legs are getting all itchy when I run. I know it's not bugs; it's too cold for bugs now, summer where I live has been wisped away. Probably my blood thinning...

This morning I ran faster and further than yesterday, but still 15 minutes. I think this morning I pulled off about 1.5 miles, with only 2 breaks. I did some jacks, too, at the end. I was so tired I could only do 40 of them.

I'm letting the headache die a little before I hit the weights up.

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    Also, here's a question for some of you:

I don't recall ever spraining my arm or anything, but every time I do pushups, my left Teres Major muscle starts cramping up and I have to stop. What's causing that? Too much work?
    Too less work. Are you left handed or right handed? On which hand do you hold your mouse?
    Don't expect anything.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    Too less work. Are you left handed or right handed? On which hand do you hold your mouse?
    I am ambidextrous, using the better hand for certain tasks. I write with my left hand, I paint and draw with both hands (I pass it off) I play guitar right-handed, I bat left-handed, golf right handed, play pool right-handed, pitch left-handed, and I use power tools left-handed (I know, the most dangerous of them all!) That's probably why I am so good at foreplay; I use both hands when I masturbate, too. Anything else you want to know?

Most of the tasks I do, are with my left hand. If I grab something, it's usually my left hand. But some things I use my right-hand too... neither of my hands are really dominant. Just whatever feels less weird (have you ever tried to write with your submissive hand? This is how all tasks are for me)

I fight with my left side out. Most people fight in the opposite stance. This makes it difficult for most people to fight. I will often switch it up, too, especially if the person fights in the same stance. And when you switch up, it will really throw them off.

I think my left hand packs the better punch. My right hand is definitely stronger, and can endure a lot, but my left hand is quicker and more accurate.

Where do you think it is not getting enough work?
    Last edited by anachronistic; 23-08-08 at 01:28 PM.

anachronistic Guest
    Here's some math for ya.

You burn off 1 lb for every 3500 calories that are burnt. I burn about 3570 every day. I am focusing on eating about 1200 calories worth, between resting periods (10 hours)

So if I burn about 3570 every day, and I am only putting in about 1200, that means I am only burning off about 2300 every day, which means I burn off a lb every other day. At this rate, I should have burned off 5 lbs by now. I think I've lost about that much, maybe even a little more because I have been sleeping a little more lately, and eating less. I can see a very small difference, and it is exciting for me

Here's the question though: Am I burning off just the extra fat cells, or some muscle mass with it? And what about the skin? Does it tighten naturally as you progress losing weight?

edit: new goal: try to get to a BMI of 21.5. That's about 25 lbs I will have to lose. That will take 50 days at the current rate. It will probably take a few days less than that once college starts, and I get into a steady habit with a more focused routine.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 23-08-08 at 09:32 PM.

if only i had the weight to lift... the last time i leg pressed, 300 lbs. i'll have to wait till i go back to college.
    That's it? I maxed out at 320 about 2 months ago. Hell, I'm only 138lbs. lol, but I have no upper body. I like cycling and running more than weight lifting though.

As for running...I'm way out of running shape. I went running this weekend and I struggled doing 3 miles. That should be a warmup for me. By the end of that I could hardly breathe. Cycling and running are too whole different styles of training. It's like comparing distance running vs sprinters.

But I want to get myself back into running along side cycling.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 25-08-08 at 11:22 AM.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    That's it? I maxed out at 320 about 2 months ago. Hell, I'm only 138lbs. lol, but I have no upper body. I like cycling and running more than weight lifting though.

As for running...I'm way out of running shape. I went running this weekend and I struggled doing 3 miles. That should be a warmup for me. By the end of that I could hardly breathe. Cycling and running are too whole different styles of training. It's like comparing distance running vs sprinters.

But I want to get myself back into running along side cycling.
    you are talking to someone that does not move around a lot, lol.

but i have very strong arms, i could jar your head around and give you a headache that will last for a day.

i hope i can run a mile without taking a breather!

but i have very strong arms, i could jar your head around and give you a headache that will last for a day.
    lol...I don't doubt that. I maxed out at 135 on bench press. I probably can't do that anymore.

It's always funny when you see these huge guys get in fights and think they're invincible because they can lift a bar to the point that it starts bending. Then someone pulls a gun out and shoots them. So much for all that work and training, ha? Technology ftw.

I like my skinny ass...when I get old and uglier I'll fill in and look normal, lol.

As for training for running, you'll learn a lot of it is mental. Try running while listening to music, it will help take your mind off of how long you have to go. How do you eat and drink before as well? This can really affect you negatively if not done right. Also since you're in terrible shape, no offense, I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor if you don't already. Stay inside your target heart range, you'll burn more fat easier and won't overtrain as quickly. You'll also notice your stamina will get better quicker if you're not pushing yourself so hard. When you push yourself so hard you'll overtrain and you'll get to a point where you'll plateau and have to stop running all together and recover, which is even worse. It's a common misconception for beginners that if I push myself to the point where I feel like I'm going to throw up I'll get faster. Sure that applies to the people who have been running for a long time and are in pretty darn good shape, but for those that aren't you'll notice better results staying in your target heart range.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 25-08-08 at 12:32 PM.

anachronistic Guest
    I have been in some pretty nasty fights with some big muscly dudes... I tell you though, it doesn't matter how much you can lift, if you do not know how to fight. Someone who does light weight training and knows how to fight could beat any macho chump built for show.

Thanks for the tip on music. I'll try listening to my mp3 player tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast