+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just joined gym!

Just joined gym!

Time to get into a more healthier life style and get into shape. I gotta get that beach body ready for next summer. I just realized that I'm entering the prime years of my life and I need to take advantage of it right now haha.

I gotta stay committed this time!

I have ramped up my exercise, too... I have about doubled the amount of walking I did before summer started, and I changed the route to include some steep hills. I really hope I can keep it up with school starting again. I need to because the stress of my nursing program is a killer, and it's fattening, too... many of my classmates have put on 10-15 lbs since we started.

I really need to start exercising...I am one of these people that just stay slim no matter what I eat so I have never been motivated. However the other day I was struggling to climb a few flights of stairs without getting puffed...something MUST be done!

Get a hot personal trainer, like I did. He's motivation enough to get me to go to the gym regularly.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Hot personal trainers would motivate me to stay away from the gym... who (besides starbuck) wants to get all sweaty and look like crap in front of a hottie? Eek, no thanks!

Dasein - naturally thin? STFU! (haha)

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Hot personal trainers would motivate me to stay away from the gym... who (besides starbuck) wants to get all sweaty and look like crap in front of a hottie? Eek, no thanks!
    Hehe, I don't care if I'm all sweaty around him. I'm paying him to train me and be my eye candy lol. And he's a former prize fighter so he always has interesting stories about the boxing world.

You should have seen me when I first started working out with him. I was pathetically almost passing out the whole time. I think he was afraid that he had killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    Hehe, I don't care if I'm all sweaty around him. I'm paying him to train me and be my eye candy lol. And he's a former prize fighter so he always has interesting stories about the boxing world.

You should have seen me when I first started working out with him. I was pathetically almost passing out the whole time. I think he was afraid that he had killed me.
    I would probably cry and humiliate myself.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    I would probably cry and humiliate myself.
    Oh trust me, the whole time I'm training, inside I'm saying, "When will this end?!!"

But the endorphin high is amazing afterwards.

I have a question... why do i feel like going to sleep afterwards, and not the endorphin high? Am I possibly doing too much? What's the go with this high - I want it!

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    exercise is always good because you feel like having sex afterwards.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
    I really need to start exercising...I am one of these people that just stay slim no matter what I eat
    Me too...let's go out to eat .

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    you women are silly. don't you know that guys like to see women all sweaty and looking like crap, giving their best effort and shit? it turns me on, i tell you.
    I can't think of anything hotter than a girl in athletic attire sweating with her hair up like she doesn't care...

Damnit now I'm horny.

Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    I have a question... why do i feel like going to sleep afterwards, and not the endorphin high? Am I possibly doing too much? What's the go with this high - I want it!
    It could be a number of things. Lack of sleep, malnourished through long intense workouts, dehydrated, overtraining.

Ever heard the term hitting the wall? You may be at that point right before it. What this is, is when you push yourself to your breaking point basically. It can be cause by all the things I listed above. I had this happen to me about two weeks ago, in cycling they call it bonking. It's probably the worst feeling ever. You feel extremely weak, fatigue, like you want to vommit, and pass out. I could hardly pedal home. When I finally got home I fell asleep for hours, this was during the middle of the day. I bonked because I was malnourished. I had plenty of sleep, plenty of water, I wasn't really pushing to the point where I felt like my heart was about to explode. It was because I didn't eat during my workout. When cycling long distances, I did about 70 miles...you need to replenish electrolytes. So ya...just thought I would share that. Sure energy drinks help to an extent, but they're usually too dilluted, they're more of a supplment. Because if they contained a lot more electrolytes they'd taste terrible. Try adding salt to your gatorade. Cliff bars, gels, PB&J are all great ways to replenish them on long workouts. I prefer PB&J because it's cheaper.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 26-08-08 at 01:14 PM.

yehh personal trainers are good motivation but expensive. I had a free assessment trainer today for 30 mins. She was hot haha. I was sweating and struggling doing all those damn balance and ab exercises more than anything though. ( I was in more shape than this trainer though lol)

She was like people I usually train try to lose weight. You're one of the few trying to gain.

Yep that's true though I hope to gain at least 15-20 pounds of muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post

It could be a number of things. Lack of sleep, malnourished through long intense workouts, dehydrated, overtraining.

Ever heard the term hitting the wall? You may be at that point right before it. What this is, is when you push yourself to your breaking point basically. It can be cause by all the things I listed above. I had this happen to me about two weeks ago, in cycling they call it bonking. It's probably the worst feeling ever. You feel extremely weak, fatigue, like you want to vommit, and pass out. I could hardly pedal home. When I finally got home I fell asleep for hours, this was during the middle of the day. I bonked because I was malnourished. I had plenty of sleep, plenty of water, I wasn't really pushing to the point where I felt like my heart was about to explode. It was because I didn't eat during my workout. When cycling long distances, I did about 70 miles...you need to replenish electrolytes. So ya...just thought I would share that. Sure energy drinks help to an extent, but they're usually too dilluted, they're more of a supplment. Because if they contained a lot more electrolytes they'd taste terrible. Try adding salt to your gatorade. Cliff bars, gels, PB&J are all great ways to replenish them on long workouts. I prefer PB&J because it's cheaper.
    That's very useful info. Are you saying that drinking things like Gatorade is better than water? I've never hard of PB&J...what is it?

Anyway, I don't think I'm quite as you described. It's not altogether unpleasant, I just feel like sleeping, nothing else. It passes, but I still don't get that high.

Today I had a piece of raising toast, an apple, a protein shake and a turkey and avocado sandwich before training. And water throughout the day. I was on the treadmill for 30mins and then, then 20 mins leg-press, then stationary bike. Still felt the same afterwards.
    I imagine I fel;t like a guy after sex

Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    That's very useful info. Are you saying that drinking things like Gatorade is better than water? I've never hard of PB&J...what is it?

Anyway, I don't think I'm quite as you described. It's not altogether unpleasant, I just feel like sleeping, nothing else. It passes, but I still don't get that high.

Today I had a piece of raising toast, an apple, a protein shake and a turkey and avocado sandwich before training. And water throughout the day. I was on the treadmill for 30mins and then, then 20 mins leg-press, then stationary bike. Still felt the same afterwards.
    I imagine I fel;t like a guy after sex
    Of course you've heard of PB&J...Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Great for long intense workouts it has plenty of things to replenish lost nutrients and electrolytes and it's easy on the stomach.

Gatorade is not better than water...but it does have it's place. It's almost like a supplement. I personally don't drink energy drinks because I hate the tastes of them. They are good though for long distances when you need electrolytes to prevent you from hitting a wall. But eating something light is more effective than energy drinks at replenishing electrolytes/nutrients because energy drinks are very diluted compared to food. Because if you had just as much in those drinks it would probably taste terrible. Where they come in handy is when you can't really stop or be distracted by nibbling on something.

But I do have one question for you. How early before working out do you have your protein shake and meal? Maybe you're eating/drinking this too soon before a workout? The problem I see is, are you focusing more on cardio workouts or weightlifting and gaining muscle mass? If you're looking to just lean out, get a little stronger, and work on cardio, maybe just go off of the protein shakes a bit? Protein isn't a bad thing for a lady, it's just most women aren't looking to put mass on, which protein will eventually help do. They're looking to do cardio, lose some fat and get a little stronger. Maybe try a little less on the food and protein before working out? Your mealplan before working out sounds good, but from a runners/cycling/cardio routine, protein that early before is a no-no. Protein takes much longer for your body to process compared to carbs. Usually you want to have protein at least 3 hours before cardio. Carbs on the other hand will probably be ok an hour before depending on your stomach.

So what are you looking to do? Gain some muscle mass or drop body fat? Little of both maybe?

As for being sleepy...I don't know why, maybe it has to do with what you're eating before? Do you feel like you're adrenaline is pumping during your workout or are you bored and it is just something you're forcing yourself to do to get in shape? Because I know when I'm doing a hard workout the adrenaline high is usually during the workout and lasts some time after. Only time I feel sleepy is when I hit a wall/bonk. Are you getting enough sleep? You are miSSleepy...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Of course you've heard of PB&J...Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Great for long intense workouts it has plenty of things to replenish lost nutrients and electrolytes and it's easy on the stomach.
    ugh, hehe, yes I've heard of it.
    We just don't call it PB&J I don't think, nor is it as common.

But I do have one question for you. How early before working out do you have your protein shake and meal? Maybe you're eating/drinking this too soon before a workout?
    2 hours

The problem I see is, are you focusing more on cardio workouts or weightlifting and gaining muscle mass? If you're looking to just lean out, get a little stronger, and work on cardio, maybe just go off of the protein shakes a bit? Protein isn't a bad thing for a lady, it's just most women aren't looking to put mass on, which protein will eventually help do. They're looking to do cardio, lose some fat and get a little stronger. Maybe try a little less on the food and protein before working out? Your mealplan before working out sounds good, but from a runners/cycling/cardio routine, protein that early before is a no-no. Protein takes much longer for your body to process compared to carbs. Usually you want to have protein at least 3 hours before cardio. Carbs on the other hand will probably be ok an hour before depending on your stomach.

So what are you looking to do? Gain some muscle mass or drop body fat? Little of both maybe?
    I want a little bit of muscle mass, mainly though improve overall fitness. I do martial arts training where I have to go against guys, so i wouldn't mind improving my strength. I don't want to be bulky... just toned.

As for being sleepy...I don't know why, maybe it has to do with what you're eating before? Do you feel like you're adrenaline is pumping during your workout or are you bored and it is just something you're forcing yourself to do to get in shape?
    I'm not bored... usually I just get into a state in which I can keep going further and harder than when I'm thinking consciously about the effort.

Are you getting enough sleep? You are miSSleepy...lol.
    yeah... I swear i didn't create my username cos of this hehe...
    I get a fair amount of sleep. I aim for 9-10, and don't get any less than 8.

thanks so much for the tips.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast