+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Windows Messenger

Windows Messenger

Something seems to be wrong with my Windows Messenger. I keep getting a "Pending Request", but when I click on it, the window is totally blank.

Does anyone else get this? Is it a bug? I keep thinking someone is trying to contact me and I can't respond. *bites nails*
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

have you been keeping up with your MSN updates?

[url]http://get.live.com/messenger/config[/url]

Get MSN Live Messenger, if you don't have it, works pretty good.
    Last edited by Kromat; 27-08-08 at 05:22 AM.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

my computer actually cries when i try to use that messenger.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    you should be more careful with screenshots a creepy bastard could get ahold of some useful information that way.

emm, as for the messenger problem, yes, sounds like your computer has been infected with a virus of some sort. try uninstalling and reinstalling.
    What screenshots? You mean pics of me?

Or are you talking about my Gary Coleman desktop wallpaper?

OK now I just uninstalled and am trying to reinstall a fresh copy from the website and it won't let me install it. It keeps telling me that the installer isn't a "valid Win32 application."

***king A!

If you haven't already scan for viruses and spyware.

I recommend you install these programs if you don't have any:

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.138

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6

CCleaner 2.10.618

All of these are free and can be downloaded from download.com

If all that stuff passes and checks out ok we'll move onto other things.

Do you have a firewall? Maybe it's blocking it? Have you recently messed with or installed a new router?

Go into your event log and see what type of errors you are getting recently. Not only will it show what programs are failing but if there are others as well that may be hanging or causing other problems with your computer.

As for not being able to install the program, what version of Windows are you running? Try right clicking the setup file and click run as administrator, type in your user name and password if you have one and try to see if that does it. If that doesn't work it could be something up with the registry which is one royal pain in the ass to diagnose.

I'd recommend getting rid of MSN Messenger altogether and just getting Trillian. Plus it's nice being able to have both MSN and AIM in one program, I've also noticed it's a bit quicker.

*edit*

You know...forget everything I just said. I'll just go over there and fix it for you. But I expect something in return, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 27-08-08 at 12:16 PM.

At least you didn't get BSOD.

Really sounds like you have a malicious program running on your computer, and you should scan it. Since you are using a Windows computer (Win32 is Windows) it is highly likely that your computer is 'infected' with a virus, because that is the operating sys most compatible with the majority of all malicious code.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    At least you didn't get BSOD.

Really sounds like you have a malicious program running on your computer, and you should scan it. Since you are using a Windows computer (Win32 is Windows) it is highly likely that your computer is 'infected' with a virus, because that is the operating sys most compatible with the majority of all malicious code.
    Speaking of the infamous Blue Screen...
    [url]http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/post_44.php[/url]

I personally wouldn't jump to conclusion of it being a virus or malware/spyware. It could just be a corrupt file or some other problem. But she should definitely scan for stuff every now and then, if she doesn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Speaking of the infamous Blue Screen...

I personally wouldn't jump to conclusion of it being a virus or malware/spyware. It could just be a corrupt file or some other problem. But she should definitely scan for stuff every now and then, if she doesn't already.
    those were golden moments. I will cherish them forever! How about during Microsoft presentations? I can't count the number of times Bill Gates himself has been BSODed.

Ok, I *think* I figured out the problem. It was the new version of Firefox which apparently honors your Internet Explorer security settings. Not knowing I had those set to block downloads (I never use the program). I'm a tech goddess! Well, not really, but I'm a good googler.

I'm now reinstalling...crosses fingers.

I have been having problems with this new Firefox. I have been using other browsers since.

User error.

/thread