+ Follow This Topic
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Aethist or Religious?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    There are a lot of atheistic religions. The doesn't make them non-religions.
    List some.

Buddhism is the only one that comes to my mind. And even that isn't entirely atheistic.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

gerbil, have you given your soul to jesus?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No. But I got something for Jesus if I ever see him. I want to find out if he really does turn the other cheek.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

gerbil you need to repent for your sins or you're gonna go to the devils hell. do you really want that?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Shit.

Heaven for the climate, hell for the company.

If you don't stop spouting all this religious mumbo jumbo I'm going to have to throw you over my knee.
    Last edited by Gribble; 30-09-08 at 07:08 AM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

i think religion can be used as a terrible tool to control people in negative ways. but on a positive note it can make people look at themselves in a good way so that they can become a better person. It's not always positive...and thats the problem
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 30-09-08 at 07:11 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    There are a lot of atheistic religions. The doesn't make them non-religions.
    I never said it made them non-religious, but they usually end up being more sensible when not worshipping a god-figure. I quite like buddhism, sure it depends on where in the world you are, but crime rates drop down and people are generally friendly. And that's why I sometimes like religions, but I'd much rather see it done without it, as Eco said it makes it far easier to manipulate you, and I prefer reasoning on my own than reading a book that tells me what to do, even if its a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Except for Buddhism.

But yeah, I think the main reason that religion is widespread is because of indoctrination from childhood. If I'd have kids and the mother was religious I'd advocate not influencing them until they're older (like...15 or something?), and then let them choose for themselves. What adults tell kids they will assume is completely true, just like gospel to older people.
    I think the main reason Religion is widespread is because people require it. Erase all Religions off the face of the earth today and people will create new ones from scratch. Why? Because humans require it. It's like the wheel. Take away that knowledge today and people will reinvent it. Majority of people need some form of Religion / spirituality in their lives, that's why it's widespread. Indoctrination from childhood is just an effect of that human requirement, not the cause Imo.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I believe people may have required it. However, in the western world that is no longer the case. We don't stare dumbly up at the stars anymore. Well, most of us don't. The universe is a mystery, but it's no longer an insurmountable mystery. We have the tools at our disposal to understand. That's what sets modern society apart from the frightened and superstitious folk who created that stuff to begin with.

So I disagree. If you eradicate religion from the world today I don't believe it will return with the same force. Why? Because we no longer have to create answers. We can now work to find them. I truly hope that one day there will be no religion. One day people will pursue knowledge with the same fervor they once pursued the comfort of hollow promises and empty answers.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I believe people may have required it. However, in the western world that is no longer the case. We don't stare dumbly up at the stars anymore. Well, most of us don't. The universe is a mystery, but it's no longer an insurmountable mystery. We have the tools at our disposal to understand. That's what sets modern society apart from the frightened and superstitious folk who created that stuff to begin with.

So I disagree. If you eradicate religion from the world today I don't believe it will return with the same force. Why? Because we no longer have to create answers. We can now work to find them. I truly hope that one day there will be no religion. One day people will pursue knowledge with the same fervor they once pursued the comfort of hollow promises and empty answers.
    I don't know Gribble. There's a lot more to Religion / Spirituality than just explaining the unknown. There's an element of faith / hope requirement for something greater which seems to be wired into most people from birth. It's even listed as a psychological necessity. Personally most people I know, even ones who consider themselves atheists have a personal belief system that they aspire to. When asked to justify it and support with facts, they can't, but they follow it anyway.

And even as far as knowledge goes. Though a lot of progress has been made, a lot is still not explained. Most major questions and mysteries remain unanswered with main speculation that they may get resolved one day. They may get resolved one day, but just as likely they will not.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Personally most people I know, even ones who consider themselves atheists have a personal belief system that they aspire to. When asked to justify it and support with facts, they can't, but they follow it anyway.
    I can. Being good, within a social context, is selected for. Its all right in the book The Selfish Gene. Even those who aren't my immediate family but exist in my local society, will tend to share my genetic material, so it behooves me to help them provided it doesn't adversely affect my own family directly. Makes total sense to me.

For those who haven't read the book but want a summary here ya go:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    This is for Gribble & OV (and whoever else likes Pat Condell). It just seemed topical.
    Haha this guy is awesome. His other videos are great too.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I can. Being good, within a social context, is selected for. Its all right in the book The Selfish Gene. Even those who aren't my immediate family but exist in my local society, will tend to share my genetic material, so it behooves me to help them provided it doesn't adversely affect my own family directly. Makes total sense to me.

For those who haven't read the book but want a summary here ya go:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene[/url]
    My atheist friend's belief system is more complicated though. For example, one says that any Religious system is rubbish built on fear of the fools who follow it. Yet, he can't help but believe in witchcraft because according to him he saw a few things which couldn't be explained any other way. It's totally irrational especially since he's an atheist but nothing will change his beliefs and what he claims he saw. Another friend is a scientist and a complete skeptic when it comes to Religion, yet she has a deep belief in spiritual struggle between good and evil which goes far beyond the normal social good and altruism models supported by facts and by what we know. From scientific point of view it's irrational (not supported by facts) yet this skeptic continues to believe.

Religions which don't center on God are on the rise. Church of Scientology has 8 million members and counting. Then there are all types of new age religions which are growing in influence and scale (including but not limited to the occult, alchemy, psychics etc)

All of the above tell me that Religion fills a certain hole in most people and that there will most likely always be some sort of Religion to fill these gaps for as long as there are people. Take them all away and they will be replaced by others.
    Last edited by Mish; 30-09-08 at 09:43 PM.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank."

-Woody Allen

lol
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

I think Moses went up to Mt. Sinai to toss one off, and after he got the baby batter out of his brain, he started thinking rationally, about how he could control all these people, and get them to civilize the way he wanted... so he took some big ass rocks, and chiseled away.

Just a little satire for ya.

The more and more I study geological processes, the lesser and lesser I think there was any sort of creation or creator. I think when science ultimately disproves Christianity, followers will go to desperate measures and try to justify it by saying whatever created Earth is the god they were worshiping... be it some random black hole, whatever. They'll do it, I think.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast