+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Aethist or Religious?

I say I'm religious but I dont have any leaning torwards any specific religion.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry123 View Post
    I say I'm religious but I dont have any leaning torwards any specific religion.
    Jim Carrey!

At least I'm more favorable towards the mindset that all religions are essentially about the same thing, just differently formulated, rather than the stubborn "I'm right and you're wrong, and that's that".

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Jim Carrey!

At least I'm more favorable towards the mindset that all religions are essentially about the same thing, just differently formulated, rather than the stubborn "I'm right and you're wrong, and that's that".
    Did Jim Carrey say something similar to that?

Yeah I agree with you that religions are basically saying the same thing but is just formualted differently.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.

Tedel Guest
    I'm a catholic. I think I've stated it before.
    What might be new is that I was raised under the Liberation Theology.
    Last edited by Tedel; 02-09-08 at 01:34 AM.

growing up i used to experience catholic guilt, it prevented me from feeling good about myself....everything i did..i judged....its not healthy...i strongly believe in God and the afterlife but i dont believe in the institution of religion...some religious people use it against others as a form of power, criticism and control
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 30-08-08 at 03:59 AM.

i was sort of religious up to the point where i met my bf, and then that changed everything.

it took a long while for us to initiate anything coz we'd be condemd, but we waited as long as we could. so ye..

i still pray and thank god for the bf. but i find/found it very very hard to pick one and stick to it
    Gee..I thought I saw a pussycat. ~PCD

My parents took me to church every weekend for 2 years so they could meet people in the neighbourhood. But after awhile, we stopped going, and I didn't develop a faith. I was actually looking forward to baptism back then, cause I thought it would be "cool".

But in college, I'm a philosophy minor, and part of the reason for this is I think philosophy is filling in a lot of the questions I have about the meaning of life. In particular, I've been attracted by Nietzsche and Sartre's existentialism. These are both two strong atheists... I currently believe in the existen. doctrine of deriving the meaning of existence from the self, but I've lived a utterly lonely existence for the past 2 years, and I'm beginning to realize that the "self" isn't all there is. There needs to be a partner, or at least a strong social network. But whenever this comes in to play, you sacrifice the dominance of yourself, and you really have to juggle how you relate with people and yourself. But I haven't tried this having a partner stuff yet, so I'm working on it this year.

I was a dedicated member of the Atheist/Agnostics/Freethinkers club at my college freshman year, but mostly because it was the closest thing we had to a philosophy club. Most people there were Atheists, but I still consider myself agnostic.

There are some good arguments for the existence of god in Philosophy, but so far, I don't think these arguments have satisfied my curiosity as to our apparent freedom in life. Especially, it doesn't explain the apparent freedom of my conscious mind. In existentialist thought, my conscious mind is all there is, and is all that matters. So far, this has better fit my picture of the world than religion.

But I do not consider myself a devout existentialist. This is simply the first philosophy doctrine that has shown me something substantial about existence.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I got all into the existential thing for a while.

Then I actually got out of school and started living my life.

And it all went out the window.

Interesting, but how did you decide what to do with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Off2College View Post
    Interesting, but how did you decide what to do with your life?.
    Is this referring to everyone in this thread?
    For me personally, it took a while, but decided what liked about myself and what I needed to change to progress.
    I took more chances and approached every opportunity as a way that i would challenge myself and have the self satisfaction that at least i tried.
    I find religion as a good way to meet people of same character.

P.S. I'm not saying that people have to believe in a faith, it's their choice, but it's good to know that it's there.
    Last edited by Kromat; 30-08-08 at 01:46 PM.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

I took a liking to Multi-faithism.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Off2College View Post
    Interesting, but how did you decide what to do with your life.
    I was presented with choices and made decisions.

Everyday presents you with choices, and everyday you make decisions.

Sometimes they are mundane, sometimes they are substantial.

Atheist.

Catholic..served with enough Catholic guilt as I can handle

i'm catholic and the guilt was pounded into my skull but i'm not guilty. not even a little.

i'm one of those naughty catholic girls.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast