+ Follow This Topic
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Aethist or Religious?

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    Three words:

What the fcuk.

Is this the start of the neo crusades or what? Damn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    ^^ What are you talking about?

Misombra - I saw that documentary. I felt sorry for those kids. They seemed terrified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Ugh. Both of those videos are horrible. Those poor, poor children. That Jesus Camp nonsense should be illegal. I hope those children grow up to rebel against their parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    Wow that video….it mentioned at the beginning hundreds of thousands of children being manipulated in the classrooms….its nuts if it’s true…. They are making these kids believe that they are extra special….i wonder what kind of adults they will be……the video comes across as very weird and frightening…almost as if someone is going to tell us it’s actually been a joke all along… hopefully they will rebel but kids thinking that they are special and have a mission…. it’s quite sensationalist but interesting. thanks misombra
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Ugh, even in the less extreme examples it really sickens me to have some loudmouth walking around and talking saying a bunch of bullshit and the rest of the crowd cheering like mindless zombies. And speaking in tongues, now that's just messed up.

i know! those poor kids. that video makes me feel like... remember when booboo asked us if we ever felt ashamed to be human? that documentary makes me feel that way.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

anachronistic Guest
    It's a shameful sight, so let's look out for those kinds of things. Observation.., communication.., pitchforks..., they will all help us rid the world of such bastards.

anachronistic Guest
    On the contrary, agnostics spend more time considering the nature of god's existence (or non-existence) than either the bible thumpers or the atheists, both of whom are arrogant enough to think they have it all figured out, and thus are too lazy to consider arguments against their position.
    People who are open-minded are more likely to find the truth.

If one doesn't hold onto something, it is easier for one to let go.

If there is nothing to hold onto, one will descend to the bottom.

Sometime before one hits the bottom, one begins wondering if there is a bottom.

One doesn't always reach the bottom.

I know, stupid philolsical me. Just my metaphor for people who find the truth.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 17-09-08 at 01:32 PM.

On the contrary, agnostics spend more time considering the nature of god's existence (or non-existence) than either the bible thumpers or the atheists, both of whom are arrogant enough to think they have it all figured out, and thus are too lazy to consider arguments against their position.
    Or maybe agnostics are too lazy to pick a side because then they'd have to back it up? =P

I dunno, I'd might be an atheist but by coincidence I've been part of a student community group and every now and then attend bible study sessions (more so for the social stuff before and after), so I hear what their messages and arguments are, but none of it even comes close to sticking to me.

Which reminds me of a discussion in a tutorial session this morning. Meditation is an attempt to avoid/end sensory input, but with a brain that is accustomed to constant input and interpreting information the lack of information is able to cause illusions when lacking information yet continuing to process, which occurs when people panic upon being set in completely dark room and floating in very salty water which minimizes their sense of balance, sight and feel. And with that in mind, aurora borealis (northern lights) to a medieval person is possible to attribute to a diety rather than simply accepting that one doesn't know, as a medieval person can't possibly relate to how light is reflected by atmospheric content.
    Far-fetched, but yeah, felt like writing something. On friday an illusionist will be performing for a fusion panel session, oh yeah oh yeah.
    Last edited by Lipp; 17-09-08 at 04:36 PM.

i wouldnt put myself in any religion, i dont believe in a 'god' or a higher being or owt. i reckon the world and us in it and everything around us is a result of chemical and physical interaction of chemicals and materials. you are born, you live, you die, your body then goes back to the ground and becomes food for a tiny creature, who, by using the nutrients provided can better his race and continue evolving in the changing world. thusly, the other creatures around [us included] can study and then better THEIR knowledge of the world/universe, hence progressing the evolution of THAT species...

... elton john sang about it ...
    ...judge not a book by its cover, nor the words by the pages on which they are written...

..."you can hold back form the suffering of the world and you have free permission to do so, and it is within your nature. but perhaps in this holding back, you have invoked the one suffering you could have avoided"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Or maybe agnostics are too lazy to pick a side because then they'd have to back it up? =P
    No, they are just more honest about what they don't know, and willing to live with ambiguity.

And BTW - attending bible studies won't necessarily help anyone understand a thing. In order for it to be helpful, one would have to believe the bible is the word of god, and I (agnostic) certainly don't. To be honest, if belief in god was contingent upon believing what's written in the bible to be historical, I'd be an atheist, too. When people tell me they are atheist, what I almost always realize is that they reject *Christian* representations of God (and so do I). You all need to expand your knowledge about different ideas concerning god's nature in order to reject them intelligently.
    Last edited by shh!; 17-09-08 at 08:45 PM.

On the contrary, I have considered all the arguments against my position and they always fail.

No, they are just more honest about what they don't know, and willing to live with ambiguity.
    They have to face the fact that we don't know if Ninja Turtles live in the center of Pluto. Darn , we can't prove it or disprove it...guess we will never know. I am an agnostic on the ninja turtles in Pluto theory . You see, some people are intelligent enough to realize how silly the idea of a god is, to me it is like saying that a pink elephant bunny made everything. No different or worse, why should I say that this has a chance? when I am confident equally as there is no pink elephant bunny as there is no god.

Darn, I guess agnostics have to debate the existence of anything put in as an idea or theory for eternity. The fact that god is some higher priority of an argument compared to anything else made up already sounds silly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    People who are open-minded are more likely to find the truth.

If one doesn't hold onto something, it is easier for one to let go.

If there is nothing to hold onto, one will descend to the bottom.

Sometime before one hits the bottom, one begins wondering if there is a bottom.

One doesn't always reach the bottom.

I know, stupid philolsical me. Just my metaphor for people who find the truth.
    Right, and after 25 years of being open minded I have found religion to be bull shit. Hell, I was born in a Catholic family...though they refuse to see the truth...even though they know it in their hearts as they do not attend church no more and such. Hypocrite assholes walk this earth, they call others closed minded under their own closed minded ideas. It wasn't to long ago that I was on my knees praying to god every night, when I was 17 it was the last time I did that. As my mind matured the idea of god seemed more and more silly and less plausible. Not to mention that the followers of these gods are extremely annoying and threatening to healthy progression of human civilization.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 18-09-08 at 04:46 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by psydex View Post
    i only heard it yesterday, and youre spot on there eco... the human 'condition'
    I can imagine a world with no hate, no crime, and no violence. I could also imagine us attacking that world because they'd never expect it.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    I can imagine a world with no hate, no crime, and no violence. I could also imagine us attacking that world because they'd never expect it.
    People will always be people

And BTW - attending bible studies won't necessarily help anyone understand a thing. In order for it to be helpful, one would have to believe the bible is the word of god, and I (agnostic) certainly don't. To be honest, if belief in god was contingent upon believing what's written in the bible to be historical, I'd be an atheist, too. When people tell me they are atheist, what I almost always realize is that they reject *Christian* representations of God (and so do I). You all need to expand your knowledge about different ideas concerning god's nature in order to reject them intelligently.

I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure...........
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

OV - to be honest, you are a classic example of someone who doesn't know enough about esoteric thought to warrant serious consideration, IMO. THere is a lot of crossover with science, and the representation of god isn't anything at all like you think it is.

OV - to be honest, you are a classic example of someone who doesn't know enough about esoteric thought to warrant serious consideration, IMO. THere is a lot of crossover with science, and the representation of god isn't anything at all like you think it is.
    shh! the cop

You have the right to

remain silent. Anything

you say will be

misquoted, then used

against you.........

THere is a lot of crossover with science, and the representation of god isn't anything at all like you think it is.
    Says who? you? crossover with science? like what? I can make anything up and tie it in with science. I mean, after all...science does claim that elephants exist, science does claim that bunnies exist, and science does claim that the color pink exists....Pink elephant bunnies must exist!!!! I have thought and learned about both views to an extant that I would be damned to find anyone at my age who has put this much thought into it. I had no choice being born in Europe in a town centered around a church and having taken Catholic school through my younger youth. I have gone through the bible and through science books. There is no correlation between the two at all, not one bit, anything to tie the two together is misunderstanding science in the first place. Sometimes I wonder if the people who follow the bible ever actually read the real thing.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 19-09-08 at 12:47 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I'm neither atheist nor religious. I believe in God

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    That makes you a person of faith. Also known as religious. There is either an atheist or a religious. there is nothing out side of that. There is either a baseball fan, or a person who doesn't care for baseball. agnostics are just lazy atheists.
    I think it all depends on what is meant by "Religious". To me Religious means following a pattern of rituals of certain Religion. A person who doesn't follow any Religious pattern is not Religious in my books.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

anachronistic Guest
    "Religion" has some how become another word for Christianity.

People are ignorant.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast