+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Are dreams supposed to mean something?

Are dreams supposed to mean something?

I am an American guy living/working out here in Japan. I moved here 6 years ago and soon after I met a girl that I stayed with until December of last year. We were young then, she was 19 and I was 22. The first 3 years were excellent and we were best friends too able to talk about anything and share many common interests. We both travelled the World together too.

After 3 years into the relationship, she developed a short temper. She would get angry at so many little things like how I washed dishes and how I didn't include her in all conversations when were with friends and how I cut a steak with my right hand and not the left. Of course I was always apologizing and promising never to do it again. This short temper started I noticed when she started working full time out of college.

Anyways we stayed together through the bickering and she began pressuring me to get married because we were together for 4 plus years at that point and she felt pressured by here parents and friends on why she was together with me for so long and not married yet. I started thinking about it too on how to ask her. She broke up with me last August because she didn't like how I was washing the dishes but came back to me apologizing the next day.

In December, she read an e-mail to one of my friends who jokingly asked me when I was getting married. So I told him how I wasn't happy because my girlfriend was too strict on me and marrying her at that point would be like prison. I felt guilty about writing that and apologized profusely but she wasn't having it. So we separated for a month. A month later she came over to my apartment to see if we could work it out but I did a lot of thinking in that month and realized that I was happier alone because I could be myself and not have to keep apologizing for everything. So I told her that I needed time to think about our future to which she slammed me and said she waited long enough.

We didn't contact each other at all after that but I did send her an e-card for her birthday in April. She thanked me. She then sent an e-mail 2 weeks later asking me how I was and that we hadn't talked for a long time so she was wondering about me. I don't know what her attentions were with the e-mail but I never replied to that mail.

Last month I met a wonderful girl that I instantly fell in love with because she was the complete opposite of my ex and even appreciates everything little thing about me and compliments me all the time which my ex never did. However, I have been dreaming about my ex-girlfriend every night lately? All of the dreams relate to her finding a new boyfriend and me being very jealous. I am wondering if the dreams have some sort of meaning and why I feel guilty by not replying to her e-mail. We were together for 5 plus years and I know that time heals all wounds but I have a new girlfriend now but was my ex-girlfriend supposed to be the girl of my destiny?

Please tell me what you think and if you had similar experiences

Dreams are tricky and I can't say for certain what your subconscious is saying to you.

What I CAN help you with is the situation. I have a suspicion that you have a bit of guilt not contacting your ex after the email. It is ok. You didn't need to. She had her chance with you and blew it. Now you have a wonderful girl and should be happy.

Try to let go of any residual feelings that may be lurking in regard to your ex. I am pretty sure that the dreams will stop and that you will be happy.

Dreams are just random bits of thought in your head, the part we remember is typically thought up in a very short spam before we wake up. Your dreams are not telling you anything more than, your ex is in your head... which makes sense, you dated for 4 years, contemplated marriage, she was a substantial part of your life.

Don't pay attention to what happens in your dreams; the only master of your actions and will is yourself, and it sounds like you should try letting go more of your ex...

I have went through this dream situation a couple weeks ago. I dreamt my s/o told me he had a new girl and he even stated a name! I was like wtf! I woke up and called him but I couldnt reach him all day which enraged me even more cuz I was already all worked up from the dream. Well I had finally gotten in contact with him and ask him if he knew someone by the name of Natasha? He said no. Then we got into an arguement about my beliefs in dreams. I DO believe dreams send off messages, but sometimes I dont know what they are trying to say. I had stopped worrying about the dream though, but I still wonder sometimes if it is telling me something. I mean yea he may not know her now, but he just may meet someone in the future with that same name and it could lead back my dream. But hey, I suggest not worrying about it, its really unnecessary stress.

Tedel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LAtoJapan View Post
    I have been dreaming about my ex-girlfriend every night lately? All of the dreams relate to her finding a new boyfriend and me being very jealous. I am wondering if the dreams have some sort of meaning and why I feel guilty by not replying to her e-mail. We were together for 5 plus years and I know that time heals all wounds but I have a new girlfriend now but was my ex-girlfriend supposed to be the girl of my destiny?
    Yes, all dreams have a meaning. They are manifestations of what we have in our subcosciences.

That said, in your dream you're wishing this girl a new love, someone who could get jealous for her, someone who loves her. You want to feel "your scores are even" before going on with your life and with your new love. My advice would be, just go ahead, time will help her find someone interesting. Don't let your new relationship develop issues just because you are worried about your ex.

All the best, and go kiss your new girlfriend without hesitations