+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Endometriosis

About the Vioxx (rofecoxib) - it certainly has side effects, but it was fantastic for people with no cardivascular problems.

"In 2005, advisory panels in both the U.S. and Canada encouraged the return of rofecoxib to the market, stating that rofecoxib's benefits outweighed the risks for some patients. The FDA advisory panel voted 17-15 to allow the drug to return to the market despite being found to increase heart risk. The vote in Canada was 12-1, and the Canadian panel noted that the cardiovascular risks from rofecoxib seemed to be no worse than those from ibuprofen[10] -- though the panel recommended that further study was needed for all NSAIDs to fully understand their risk profiles. Notwithstanding these recommendations, Merck has not returned rofecoxib to the market."

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rofecoxib[/url]

Starbuck if you are going down the herbal route I can reccommend Dong Qui. Make sure it is a quality product and be consistent in taking it. Give it at least 3 months to see if it is effective for you.

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    About the Vioxx (rofecoxib) - it certainly has side effects, but it was fantastic for people with no cardivascular problems.

"In 2005, advisory panels in both the U.S. and Canada encouraged the return of rofecoxib to the market, stating that rofecoxib's benefits outweighed the risks for some patients. The FDA advisory panel voted 17-15 to allow the drug to return to the market despite being found to increase heart risk. The vote in Canada was 12-1, and the Canadian panel noted that the cardiovascular risks from rofecoxib seemed to be no worse than those from ibuprofen[10] -- though the panel recommended that further study was needed for all NSAIDs to fully understand their risk profiles. Notwithstanding these recommendations, Merck has not returned rofecoxib to the market."

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rofecoxib[/url]
    you're not really getting my point...Merk HID information from the FDA, who is to say they don't do it all the time? when faced with the cost of getting a drug out there...as cain said...it costs a lot of money...it's a huge amount of money to have wasted if the FDA are not going to approve...and i dont believe that pharma is trustworthy and there are plenty of cases with all the pharma companies....the fact that the pharma companies are allowed to advertise in America is shocking. marketing drugs should never be allowed. minipulating people to buy drugs they dont need, making people think they have a condition...'ask your doctor' ....seriously its dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    the fact that the pharma companies are allowed to advertise in America is shocking. marketing drugs should never be allowed. minipulating people to buy drugs they dont need, making people think they have a condition...'ask your doctor' ....seriously its dangerous
    I really do not agree with this. If you think you have a condition because you saw an advertisement on tv, then you're a bit of a hypochondriac.

The way I see it, if cigarette companies and liquor companies are allowed to advertise their unhealthy products, then drug companies should be allowed to market their healthy ones.

On a more personal note, I work as an art director in advertising and the marketing of drugs has created ALOT of jobs for graphic designers. This has nothing to do with my argument, but just a personal reason why I don't think it's such a bad thing.
    Last edited by starbuck; 06-09-08 at 10:42 PM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

ultimately i think it's up to the individual to take some responsibility in the care of their body. there are a lot of ways to help and a doctor can only do what is in their pervue (sp?).
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
    I really do not agree with this. If you think you have a condition because you saw an advertisement on tv, then you're a bit of a hypochondriac.

The way I see it, if cigarette companies and liquor companies are allowed to advertise their unhealthy products, then drug companies should be allowed to market their healthy ones.

On a more personal note, I work as a Art Director in advertising and the marketing of drugs has created ALOT of jobs for graphic designers. This has nothing to do with my argument, but just a personal reason why I don't think it's such a bad thing.
    yes i agree...not everyone is a grounded as you or me and what about children seeing these ads? it IS minipulation, and also this minipulation has been going on for years so that the children are now adults and its deeply ingrained to 'trust' no matter how badly these pharma companies behave some people will always defend them....in Ireland no advertising for drugs or cigarrettes are allowed and infact it has been discussed to take alcohol ads off too...u might think thats extreme....i think it makes sense....in a logical common sense community who realise the potential for minipulation

yes i agree...not everyone is a grounded as you or me and what about children seeing these ads? it IS minipulation, and also this minipulation has been going on for years so that the children are now adults and its deeply ingrained to 'trust' no matter how badly these pharma companies behave some people will always defend them....in Ireland no advertising for drugs or cigarrettes are allowed and infact it has been discussed to take alcohol ads off too...u might think thats extreme....i think it makes sense....in a logical common sense community who realise the potential for minipulation
    Eco, I'm all for healthy skepticism about the drug companies, but like shh said, balance is the key. Too much mistrust is just as bad as too much trust.

And as far as children seeing ads, I think that parents need to be teaching their children some healthy skepticism. Children will see all kinds of things on tv, billboards, in movies, and in the media. If an adult ends up with blind trust in ANYTHING, then his or her parent did a crappy job.

I know some graphic designers who refuse to work on cigarette and alcohol advertising out of principle. And I respect that decision. I'd turn down work on a cigarette ad, too, actually. I have no problem designing ads for booze though. At the job I currently have, I don't have to work on either types of campaigns so I don't ever have to have these kinds of ethical dilemas.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post

And as far as children seeing ads, I think that parents need to be teaching their children some healthy skepticism. Children will see all kinds of things on tv, billboards, in movies, and in the media. If an adult ends up with blind trust in ANYTHING, then his or her parent did a crappy job.

i agree it would be a wonderful world if people didnt have to struggle to make ends meet and be able to pay more attention to what their kids read and watch......kids growing up now are a third generation of minipulation....think about that.....i am able to objectively see whats happening because i havent grown up with this extreme atmosphere.....i lived in New York for a year and almost immediately i saw the extreme minipulation around me in advertising...also some people really struggle to make ends meet....it was an extreme rat race....people seemed too busy backstabbing people to have enough to eat than to pay attention to ridiculous biased media and minipulation around them...its very easy to minipulate people with longterm constant messages especially if their parents and their parents before them have been minipulated.....needless to say i left....i knew it wasnt somewhere i wanted to live the rest of my life....but my problem is that America is everywhere because of their corporations....thanks goodness i live in Ireland and Europe for that matter. I got the green card and i thought wow ......America! the land where anything can happen! i was excited to go but i soon realised having been there a while yes indeed ANYTHING can happen. This is my opinion based on healthy outlook on life and research and my own experiences
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 06-09-08 at 11:33 PM.

Eco, if you don't trust pharmaceutical companies and think they are the bad guys, then don't take their medication even if it's the only way to save your life.

It reminds me of the people that continue to hate and bitch and moan about the police but are loving them when they need them.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Eco, if you don't trust pharmaceutical companies and think they are the bad guys, then don't take their medication even if it's the only way to save your life.

It reminds me of the people that continue to hate and bitch and moan about the police but are loving them when they need them.
    seriously cain! haha....this is a discussion forum....its a point of view.....cain go ahead you can bitch a moan if you want....pathetic that you don't seem to understand that people have a right to an opinion AND that this is a discussion forum where people will post what they think.

seriously cain! haha....this is a discussion forum....its a point of view.....cain go ahead you can bitch a moan if you want....pathetic that you don't seem to understand that people have a right to an opinion AND that this is a discussion forum where people will post what they think.
    You can have whatever opinion you want, but don't be hypocritical about it. You have such a distrust and disdain for pharmaceutical companies unless they have something that can save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    You can have whatever opinion you want, but don't be hypocritical about it. You have such a distrust and disdain for pharmaceutical companies unless they have something that can save your life.
    oh so they are people then ye? i should trust them or not trust them is that what your saying....i can see loyalty is important huh....i guess you got minipulated too.....

oh so they are people then ye? i should trust them or not trust them is that what your saying....i can see loyalty is important huh....i guess you got minipulated too.....
    So anyone that's not a conspiracy theorist that doesn't mistrust everything is manipulated?

Sorry, but you're a hypocrite. Once again, you are so mistrustful towards them unless it is time for you to need them. When those same companies are saving your life, I bet you're not spiteful and mistrustful towards them then.

If you're going to hate them so much and think they are manipulating and killing people just for profits, then you need to stop taking any of their medications whether they will save your life or not.

I don't really have a problem with drug companies advertising their products. People still can't get them without a physician's prescription, and it is the responsibility of the physician to determine whether or not a person actually NEEDS the medication (or a psych referral). I think people learn a lot about medications and their side effects from seeing the advertisements, which helps them take a more active role in their health care. Knowledge is power.

spiteful...mistrustful...wow you really do see them as a person....you cant be spiteful towards an organisation....you can be spiteful towards a person....both you and Shh! keep proving my point

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast