+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dna

Dna

Just a random thought... can you change your D.N.A and if so what would it do to you?
    TJ the µß3R Trance Junkie

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your DNA is changing throughout your life , the telomeres at the ends of chromosomes are constantly being eroded away little by little

Some DNA changes can be fatal, such as is the case with cancer. Causes for cancer, or harmful changes in DNA can be caused by just about anything. For skin cancer I recall reading that UV light dissociates thymine dimers in your DNA

The ends of the DNA are so to speak clipped off, the DNA doesn't change.

I would really like stronger teeth or to have a 3rd pair grow out quickly replacing the second during the 30th year of my life lets say.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

no, you cannot change your DNA. At least, not in the sense you're probably thinking.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    The ends of the DNA are so to speak clipped off, the DNA doesn't change.
    Well no shit nucleotides don't just magically change into different ones

If you want to be so anal about wording I may as well say the DNA isn't even clipped off, the last 5 bases or so just aren't replicated

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Well no shit nucleotides don't just magically change into different ones

If you want to be so anal about wording I may as well say the DNA isn't even clipped off, the last 5 bases or so just aren't replicated
    No, actually they are gone or are in active. Main reason for aging actually. There are bacteria that can prevent this process and are being studied. I was going to be a part of a project on them after I finished school but I ended up in a zoo damn it. Testing animal blood for proper nutrition isn't as exciting right now . I didn't mean to be a dick, just wanted to correct it. Just so no one young on here thinks that all the DNA evidence in the court room was a sham because DNA changes. lol
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 08-09-08 at 11:52 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

I know as much about this as I know about the mating habits of giant squirrels, but as I get it the DNA modifications have to be done at the first stages of birth to apply, as the DNA copies itself over and over, so that if the "blueprint" DNA in the beginning is modified all of the copies are modified as well.

Which is why when you are a fully developed person you can't change your DNA.

Or?