+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Black hole

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Nobody here can claim the right to even BEGIN to approach thinking about these things. It takes lots and lots of understanding of math and physics

It's like someone who doesn't know the first thing about math says "Energy is quantized LOL!"

Good, what math and physics classes did you take? I remember you saying you failed calculus several times, and I assume you meant basic (differential and of one variable) calculus

"We" can't be used because so few people understand it. I guess I can say that "we" know how to have sex even though I haven't
    Who do you think you are? The person who hands out nobel prizes?

They're a crock of shit anyways.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    DM, quit being a stupid dick. Be happy that some people appreciate what our scientists are doing.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Good, what math and physics classes did you take? I remember you saying you failed calculus several times, and I assume you meant basic (differential and of one variable) calculus

"We" can't be used because so few people understand it. I guess I can say that "we" know how to have sex even though I haven't
    I already graduated. I had to repeat Calc once for specific reasons. You do know how to have sex, you just may suck at it. The way you make it sound is as if no one understands it and they are not capable of it, so what? we shouldn't try to understand it? Not to mention I never claimed to know everything.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    Who do you think you are? The person who hands out nobel prizes?
    lol

Something about guys into science is hot to me.

I'll be the subject of your experiments.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post

lol!

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    They're a crock of shit anyways.
    You idiot! Those prizes are awarded to people who have not only dedicated their lives to broadening knowledge in their field, but also HAVE SUCCEEDED in doing so, making novel discoveries and figuring things out others can't

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    DM, quit being a stupid dick. Be happy that some people appreciate what our scientists are doing.
    Sorry if I get mad when people talk about things they have no clue about but feel intellectual and smart when they do. I'm not going to claim to know the intricacies of sex or love, and the people that do are not going to include me in that. Likewise, people who don't have a good background in math shouldn't be included in the "we" of the discovery. Notice above I said these people have broadened knowledge "IN THEIR FIELD", not "broadened OUR knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    I already graduated. I had to repeat Calc once for specific reasons. You do know how to have sex, you just may suck at it. The way you make it sound is as if no one understands it and they are not capable of it, so what? we shouldn't try to understand it? Not to mention I never claimed to know everything.
    What calc? Calc comes in different levels and flavors

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Everyone's been so fiery on the boards lately, I love it. It's good to release the hounds every so often.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Smithers... release the hounds

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck View Post

Me too. Strange that I have never dated one. DM must be a genius. I would love for him to stimulate my...huh...mind.

My man looks at me weird when he says a trigger word that makes me go off talking crap in science language.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    DM must be a genius.
    No, I'm just harsh and scathing of people in certain areas

anachronistic Guest
    You idiot!
    Oh shut that hole in your face. Those prizes are meaningless fabrications of gratitude. The true pride and joy lies in learning and discovery, not some stupid prize. You act as if these people slaved over things against their will, and dedicated their entire lives to save us from some horrible fate, to earn a stupid prize.

It's meaningless. I'm sorry to tell you that if that is your only influence and interest in science.

Oh shut that hole in your face.
    i'm sorry in advance (because i'm scared of DM!) but i had to laugh at that line lol!
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Because of how complicated all this stuff is today, there isn't even the ability to passively observe
    No DM. Its not any more complicated than when Newton first published his ideas. Its all relative to what you are used to thinking about, that is all. Newton revolutionized math & physics because he radically changed the gestalt of how we thought about the universe.

And one doesn't have to have a PhD in theoretical physics to understand the concepts behind the CERN experiments. One only needs that if you are planning to try to make models of what is observed.

You already know this, but for those who don't, I am speaking as someone who lives with a guy who generated theoretical models for the anticipated results of the (now abandoned) SSC.

I think that it is *great* that the general public is interested in what they are doing. The experiments ARE very important & interesting.

Oh, and for those who think these types of experiments are useless, I would encourage you to throw out your microwave oven. Because those were a spin-off application of those very sorts of *useless* experiments. As is television, computers, radio, fibre optic cable, composite materials that are used in all sorts of applications including aerospace.... all came from very basic-level research that ppl didn't really know the future applications of until it had been done.

Basic research is the lifeblood of humanity's future progress. Only the short-sighted & uninformed would suggest to stifle it.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    "had been frightened after watching local TV reports that the experiment would cause the "Earth to crack up and everybody in the village would die"
    Wouldn't it be interesting if this man-made machine actually causes a big bang? And then billions of years later, on some planet, the human race is trying to once again recreate and discover how the universe was created?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast