+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Black hole

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Just because Indi was siding with you and rode the high horse doesn't mean she was right. Actually, were we even in much disagreement anywhere on this? I don't think so.
    They are just riding you, young genius. No worries, I would ride your natural logarithm anytime. Eeeeeee!

I doubt I'd stand a chance in an actual chemistry debate w/you. Its been far too long out of OC for me, I'd have to go and look things up.

Do you realize tho, at some point its not so much what you know, as how you apply it? Actual knowledge is very easy to come by these days. Most chemistry concepts can be looked up on wiki. I guess what I mean is that, beyond a certain level of education (you obviously need the basic maths & science), all one really needs to remember is that a certain concept exists. Even career mathematicians consult tables of integrals (or use a program like MAple).
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    They are just riding you, young genius. No worries, I would ride your natural logarithm anytime. Eeeeeee!

I doubt I'd stand a chance in an actual chemistry debate w/you. Its been far too long out of OC for me, I'd have to go and look things up.

Do you realize tho, at some point its not so much what you know, as how you apply it? Actual knowledge is very easy to come by these days. Most chemistry concepts can be looked up on wiki. I guess what I mean is that, beyond a certain level of education (you obviously need the basic maths & science), all one really needs to remember is that a certain concept exists. Even career mathematicians consult tables of integrals (or use a program like MAple).
    As a biologist I feel like some kind of an outsider here. Like I don't belong, according to the encyclopedia biology is a science darn it ... lol....actually outside of biology I am not to informed. I know enough chemistry and math to simply get me by in biology. Probably a shame really.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    As a biologist I feel like some kind of an outsider here. Like I don't belong, according to the encyclopedia biology is a science darn it ... lol....actually outside of biology I am not to informed. I know enough chemistry and math to simply get me by in biology. Probably a shame really.
    I'll keep you company . I have a degree in biology and minor in chemistry.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I took just enough math and physics to gobble up all the undergrad astronomy courses my Uni provided.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Even career mathematicians consult tables of integrals (or use a program like MAple).
    One thing I hated about high school calculus is that we had to take things like the integral of 1 / (x^2 +1) just as it is, without knowing where that knowledge came from

Finally in college they showed us the usefulness of inverse substitutions and other stuff so we no longer had to accept it as being some hippie magic shit

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    I'll keep you company . I have a degree in biology and minor in chemistry.
    Do you work in the field already?
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Do you work in the field already?
    Yep sort of. I had for a short time. I had that degree many years ago. This is another degree (grad) I am working on. I made school a career hehe.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I took just enough math and physics to gobble up all the undergrad astronomy courses my Uni provided.
    Hey, Grib, that's probably quite a bit then. Astronomers may not be like those theoretical guys keening out right now at the LHC but they aren't slouches either, I think, when it comes to math & physics.

I think astronomy is probably one of the less esoteric physical sciences out there. In this sense, DM is right. Its a lot easier to get ppl excited about stars & planets & galaxies we can actually see (I've seen some lovely photographs of distant stars) than to think about subatomic particles whose existence we can only infer.

If I had to do it again, I think I'd choose engineering.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    I was reading a book in the library, overhearing a tutor helping a girl student out with her astronomy 101 homework. She didn't understand v=d/t!!!!

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I only have 2 more semesters of math left!

My best friend here, the Calabrian biochemistry major living in my suite with me, took some random math course called Manifolds and Differential Forms just "for the fun of it "this semester, lol. His parents were trying to get him to take Wines 101 for fun and he chose that instead. Way not to be a pussy!

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    I was reading a book in the library, overhearing a tutor helping a girl student out with her astronomy 101 homework. She didn't understand v=d/t!!!!
    That would be what astronomy 101 is for.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567