+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument over careers

Great decision. Nursing school will get you a good living. Good hours, many choices of steady jobs, and good pay. Can you say that about advertising?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good hours? Phaw!

In either case, you should be encouraging your bride-to-be to pursue her dreams. If advertising isn't right for her, fine. She'll learn it and she'll move on. If you succeed in discouraging her from giving this a try she's always going to wonder what could have been.
    Last edited by Gribble; 11-09-08 at 12:08 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1982 View Post
    Great decision. Nursing school will get you a good living. Good hours, many choices of steady jobs, and good pay. Can you say that about advertising?
    I don't think any of us are going to be able to change your viewpoint on this. All you can do is support her. You will piss her off and push her away if you keep trying to delegate what career field she goes into. This is NOT your decision. It's hers. If she doesn't like it and decides to switch, that is HER choice. She's an adult and can make her own decisions.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Good hours? Phaw!
    Nursing? Nursing DOES have good hours. We can work straight eight hour shifts or we can pull three 12 hour days and get paid for 40 hours.

Erm, Cant agree more.

OP, don't listen to these people. It sounds to me like your fiance is acting childish over a serious matter. I don't think you are being a control freak by looking out for her. You're simply doing what any real friend would do - prevent her from making a mistake she will regret later.

Actually, I had a good-paying job back then, too. The only reason I didn't go back to the company I was working for before is because now that my family is rooted in the suburbs, I'm not willing to relocate, nor am I willing to drive to West Hollywood every day.

I have to tell you though, that my husband never once said anything about my career choice (except when I started nursing school; he would have preferred I not work, but he got over it).

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post
    OP, don't listen to these people. It sounds to me like your fiance is acting childish over a serious matter. I don't think you are being a control freak by looking out for her. You're simply doing what any real friend would do - prevent her from making a mistake she will regret later.
    But who is he to decide what she will and will not regret? That's the problem. She's an adult that can make her own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole View Post

Whose career is this, anyway? I thought it was HERS.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The only mistake she'll regret later is letting this guy talk her out of her dreams.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Shh sounds like your husband supports you. Emotionally and economically, which is admirable. I am not at that level yet, but I want to be at a point where I can say "honey go out and be an actress or play with the kids so they dont grow up with strangers as nannies".

Neo - finally someone doesnt give me a generic answer. I just also spoke to my fiance who agreed with me as well.

When we wake up from our "dreams" we realize that there is a world out there called reality. If I want to follow my dreams, I take a nap. With that, thank you for all the good advice and good night.

Neo - finally someone doesnt give me a generic answer. I just also spoke to my fiance who agreed with me as well.
    Well, it's good that you have a woman that doesn't mind being controlled and pushed into a career field you think she should be in.

EDIT: And our answers were generic because they didn't agree with you? Yeah, okay.

LOL! I certainly did more than "play with the kids", and your post sounded as though you may have written it with a bit of hostility.

Perhaps your finace could do what she had heart set on and you could adjust whatever expectations you had as a standard of living? I mean, you said you were already middle-income. Certainly that means she doesn't NEED to earn much to have a decent lifestyle. Are you expecting her to finance a lavish lifestyle for you? Is she merely a meal ticket for you? Job satisfaction is vital if you are looking for happiness - not just money. Don't you want her to be happy?
    Last edited by shh!; 11-09-08 at 12:27 PM.

When we wake up from our "dreams" we realize that there is a world out there called reality. If I want to follow my dreams, I take a nap. With that, thank you for all the good advice and good night.
    You've got to be kidding me. I feel sorry for your future kids with that "no such thing as dreams" attitude you have.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast