+ Follow This Topic

Thread: more random thoughts

more random thoughts

i wonder how the world is going to end

old people grow down

what if everyone always lied?

its all fun and games till someone loses an eye...did someone lose an eye?

i like this line:
    Conform and be happy or be unique and be happy with yourself

do you ever fantasise about going back to being a baby again with the brain you have now and freaking everyone out?
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 13-09-08 at 02:06 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

hey did y'all know that hair and nails keep growing after death
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    do you ever fantasise about going back to being a baby again with the brain you have now and freaking everyone out?
    No, but I do wish that I could go backwards in time. There are a few places in my life that I'd like to go back, and it would be nice to be able to do it... but I'd be hesitant at changing anything in my past because of what it might do to my present. I do think that if I could go back in time with the knowledge I have right now, I'd go back in time about six or seven months. Of all the things I'd like to change, the break up is the biggest.

Sometimes I wish I had the power of premonition... but then again, I think I might. I had a dream that my ex updated her Facebook that she was in a relationship and added new pictures. Two days later she updated that she was in a relationship. But then again, I think I had dreams about this 2 or 3 nights a week.
    I don't chase, I replace.

for you cain....to cheer you up hehe

The Psychic Dog
    A Georgia farm wife called the local phone company to report that
    her telephone failed to ring when her friends called — and that on
    the few occasions when it did ring her pet dog always moaned right
    before the phone rang.

The telephone repairman proceeded to the scene, curious to see this
    psychic dog or senile elderly lady.

He climbed a nearby telephone pole, hooked in his test set and
    dialed the subscriber’s house.

The phone didn’t ring right away, but then after he heard the dog
    moaning loudly, the telephone began to ring.

Climbing down from the pole, the telephone repairman found:

1. The dog was tied to the telephone system’s ground
    wire via a steel chain and collar.

2. The wire connection to the ground rod was loose.

3. The dog was receiving 90 volts of signaling current
    when the phone number was called.

4. After a couple of such jolts, the dog would start moaning
    and then urinate on himself and the ground.

5. The wet ground would complete the circuit, thus causing
    the phone to ring.

This demonstrates that some problems can be fixed by pissing and
    moaning!

wtf?

no shit.

whatever.
    Don't expect anything.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think about that quite often, actually. I'd love to jump back to about the third grade and intelligently tell my teacher off for being a nasty bitch among other things.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Here's something for you to think about, eco.

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080911/sc_livescience/naturalcurespackdangerouschemicals[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Here's something for you to think about, eco.

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080911/sc_livescience/naturalcurespackdangerouschemicals[/url]
    In response shh!:
    Total unexpected deaths from the western medical profession in USA was estimated as high as 800,000 per year (this would include all malpractice, iatrogenic disease, surgery and anesthesia problems, drug overdose, drug misuse and abuse and drug side-effects).

It is possible that part of the problem with researching something like this is that it often goes unreported. The lower estimates were specifically talking about reported incidents and may have been talking about only a certain category of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, for example). The upper end figures might be taking into account estimates from small groups that have been studied to try to catch deaths that would normally not be reported.

My research is that herbs are far, far safer on their worst day.

Now let us look at herbs. The very worst year for herbs came during the rampant abuse of Ma Huang by those trying to lose weight with it (this is not one of its clinical actions when used by responsible herbalists).

They were doing two really extreme things: first, they combined it with caffeine sources; second, they made standardised extracts that were standardised only to ephedrine (the strongest alkaloid) mixed in with questionable quality herbs (making something more like a drug than an herb).

Then this was taken in large doses by people who were desperate. I am not blaming them for being desperate, but I am saying this is an extremely unwise behavior. The results of that behavior with a drug would have been devastating (and were devastating if you remember the publicity about Fen-Phen).

What were the results of that abuse that year? An estimated 50 deaths. 50! That is about 1/1,000th, at best estimate, of the deaths due to drugs.

On average, herbs kill a grand total of 5-6 people per year and herbs get abused all the time. People use herbs in a crazy, out of balance way without even consulting a qualified herbalist and we still get 5-6 people per year.

There are a few more medical conditions blamed on herbs but believe me when I tell you that the most dangerous herb still in use is far safer than the safest over-the-counter drug.

In response shh!:
    Total unexpected deaths from the western medical profession in USA was estimated as high as 800,000 per year (this would include all malpractice, iatrogenic disease, surgery and anesthesia problems, drug overdose, drug misuse and abuse and drug side-effects).

It is possible that part of the problem with researching something like this is that it often goes unreported. The lower estimates were specifically talking about reported incidents and may have been talking about only a certain category of drugs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, for example). The upper end figures might be taking into account estimates from small groups that have been studied to try to catch deaths that would normally not be reported.

My research is that herbs are far, far safer on their worst day.

Now let us look at herbs. The very worst year for herbs came during the rampant abuse of Ma Huang by those trying to lose weight with it (this is not one of its clinical actions when used by responsible herbalists).

They were doing two really extreme things: first, they combined it with caffeine sources; second, they made standardised extracts that were standardised only to ephedrine (the strongest alkaloid) mixed in with questionable quality herbs (making something more like a drug than an herb).

Then this was taken in large doses by people who were desperate. I am not blaming them for being desperate, but I am saying this is an extremely unwise behavior. The results of that behavior with a drug would have been devastating (and were devastating if you remember the publicity about Fen-Phen).

What were the results of that abuse that year? An estimated 50 deaths. 50! That is about 1/1,000th, at best estimate, of the deaths due to drugs.

On average, herbs kill a grand total of 5-6 people per year and herbs get abused all the time. People use herbs in a crazy, out of balance way without even consulting a qualified herbalist and we still get 5-6 people per year.

There are a few more medical conditions blamed on herbs but believe me when I tell you that the most dangerous herb still in use is far safer than the safest over-the-counter drug.
    You win.

Drugs are bad. Herbs are best.

Feel free to never use any pharmaceutical drugs so you don't die!

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    You win.

Drugs are bad. Herbs are best.

Feel free to never use any pharmaceutical drugs so you don't die!
    hahahahaha cain it was for shh! she's trying to convince me otherwise....i won't be convinced! hehe

hahahahaha cain it was for shh! she's trying to convince me otherwise....i won't be convinced! hehe
    I don't disagree that the misuse of medications is a very big thing that needs to be fixed, but the fact that you make it seem like medications are bad is hilarious to me. Are you telling me that you've never taken them? For someone that's so outspoken against it, you shouldn't be taking any medications at all, regardless of whether they will save your life or not... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    I don't disagree that the misuse of medications is a very big thing that needs to be fixed, but the fact that you make it seem like medications are bad is hilarious to me. Are you telling me that you've never taken them? For someone that's so outspoken against it, you shouldn't be taking any medications at all, regardless of whether they will save your life or not... right?
    i stopped taking medication when i turned 30, the problem i think you have is that yes i would choose a herb before pharma pills but would still use pharma pills as a last resort....what is wrong with that....i'm using all resources avail to me....i don't think its hypocritical simply because its called survival at the end of the day...i dont think that all pharma doesn't work but because people trust them so much they may take something that kills them and chances are much higher than if you try a herb first....all i'm sayin is the pharma industry has shown that they are untrustworthy through many case studies....anyway i know you trust the pharma industry and that's ok...you have the freedom of choice....i'm not asking anyone to change their minds but i do think shh was trying to convince me to change mine....that is all.....we'll end up going round in circles again if we keep talking about this issue. I take your point of view into account.

I'd sure like to see your source for the 800,000 per year figure you keep throwing around... Everything I've read puts it closer to 100,000. And not that I don't think that this is a problem, but lets be realistic. There are lots of medication junkies out there who are overdosing themselves with prescription meds (Heath Ledger comes immediately to mind). You can't blame the pharmaceutical companies when the addict visits multiple physicians to get their prescriptions written. Here is a link to just one state that addresses the problem with "medication errors".

"Medication-related and illicit drug-related deaths accounted for nearly 2/3 of unintentional drug/poisoning deaths. The annual average number of medication-related deaths from 1997-1999 (57) was more than 4 times higher than the annual average number of deaths from 1987-1989 (14). The leading types of medications found in
    the decedent bloodstreams were: narcotic analgesics (248), antianxiety (76), tricyclic antidepressants (TCA) (64), muscle relaxants (40), hypnotic/sedatives (38), and non-narcotic analgesics (28) (Figure 1). The most common narcotics found in the decedents’ bloodstreams were: methadone, propoxyphene, and hydrocodone."

[url]http://www.ok.gov/health/documents/Unintentional_Poison.pdf[/url]

Sorry, but I don't have a huge amount of compassion for junkies that overdose themselves... a little, maybe, but not a lot, and honestly, I don't know why they are even included in statistics about medication errors. They totally skew the studies.
    Last edited by shh!; 14-09-08 at 05:08 AM.

shh! not changing my mind...i have to say today i haven't got the right mood to debate...but chances are another day i will