+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help to heal a broken heart :(

need help to heal a broken heart :(

my boyfriend of 2.5 years broke up with me a week ago for good when i finally brought up that we have to get out of this limbo. i just said i can't wait around for him anymore. he tried 2 months ago but i resorted to begging and pleading and he decided to give it another chance but those 2 months were hell because i knew he wasnt into it and i just kept trying to win him over and give him the "space" he needed. we were ok for awhile but then after a few weeks he just went back to being shut off. he said he didn't know if he wants to be with me or not but he would let me know but that it was getting better and he sees me trying so i shouldn't worry. he had shut off a long time ago and was trying to see if he could go back and put the effort again but it was too late. he said he loves me but not like before and knows it's going to take awhile but doesn't want to completely lose me and hopes to become friends again in the future because we used to be best friends. i want that also but i'm too fragile right now. we still talk a little online because we need to exchange stuff we have of each other and we have mutual friends. it's HARD because we go to the same places and do the same things so i don't want to have to change my whole lifestyle for him.

i haven't been to work and i had to take a leave of absence and try to get away on vacation for awhile to keep my mind off this but i don't know if it will help because i'm going with my friend to the east coast and she got a new job so i'm gonna be alone sometimes and that's the last place we went to together. but either way, being home is reminding me of him all the time. i just want to get past this and get over it but i have all these stupid thoughts in my head like what if he moves on and sleeps with someone or gets back with the ex before me!? he says he really just wants to be alone and plans to be single for awhile because he wants to focus on his work which was the main reason we broke up. i was suffocating him and when i finally let go and decided i have to get my own life it was too late and he had "turned off". he said he just didn't have it in him to meet me halfway or put effort because he just was done and wasn't into it anymore.

i love him so much but i want to move on and become independent and better but i have NO ENERGY and have been so depressed the past 2 months. sometimes i can't even cry anymore because of how drained i am. i just don't know what to do. i know they said keep busy, find new hobbies, all that. but i don't even feel like it. i've been stuck in my room most of the week. just feel SO miserable and hopeless. it should be enough to know he doesn't want this and i can do better but i just can't seem to get past it. it's my first real heartbreak because i put my ALL into it and never thought i'd ever get hurt like this... please help..

Quote Originally Posted by mm4184 View Post
    i love him so much but i want to move on and become independent and better but i have NO ENERGY and have been so depressed the past 2 months. sometimes i can't even cry anymore because of how drained i am. i just don't know what to do. i know they said keep busy, find new hobbies, all that. but i don't even feel like it. i've been stuck in my room most of the week. just feel SO miserable and hopeless. it should be enough to know he doesn't want this and i can do better but i just can't seem to get past it. it's my first real heartbreak because i put my ALL into it and never thought i'd ever get hurt like this... please help..
    Time will heal everything.

Same time next year you will be reading this with a smile not quite knowing why you felt so much over someone so undeserving.

Maybe not so much keeping busy, but maybe it's time to spoil yourself. Do the things you always wanted to do, but didn't (Though don't go over board). Every break up presents us with positive opportunities, freedom and self empowerement. A slight change of perspective, seeing your loss as an eventual gain in the long term will help you a lot.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

i hope so.. i just feel so miserable. it's hard for me to get out of bed sometimes and i've been missing work. i hate that i'm letting it affect every aspect of my life. and i hate reading stuff about people not moving on for YEARS. that scares me! i'm so emotional and depressed i feel like i'll never get out of this hole i'm in. and it's worse because i know i'm gonna see him around.

I think letting go becomes easier when you open up to the positive opportunities that this situation presents you. A not so good chapter of life is closed and a new one begins. It's exciting if you look at it this way.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Misha is right, you'll eventually start feeling better in time. He said something to me in one of my broken-hearted posts about my emotions catching up to my brain and it made so much sense to me. You know you need to move on, but your emotions haven't caught up yet. They will, but you'll have to be patient with yourself. There is no finger-snapping technique here.

Try not to let your mood make you miss work. Your daily life shouldn't stop because you are heartbroken. I would throw myself into work if I were you because it can be an excellent healing technique. If you don't have the energy, fake it till you make it. You have to get through this. I would also avoid going to places you and he went. You'll eventually be able to go back to these places once you feel better. And lastly, I'd recommend no contact with him. Contact with him will erode any progress you've made so just block him from everything and throw out his number.

Once you're on the other side of this, you'll be much stronger than you were before.
    Last edited by starbuck; 24-09-08 at 04:25 AM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

I am going through a breakup as well and like you say it is so hard. Take one day at a time and you will get over him. Today you feel like this.... Tomorrow you probably feel like this..... These emotions repeat itself and finally you will exhale ......

thank you. sometimes i don't want to talk to my friends because i feel like i'm tiring them but i'm the kind of person that needs to keep talking it out to get it out. i know it will take time, i'm just worried it will take YEARS and i hate not being who i used to be because i feel like i've lost so much. i keep telling myself that i'm better than this and that he doesn't deserve me anyways, but then i go back and start dwelling on what could have been and what if this or that.. i have such a negative outlook on everything because of my depression and i keep having stupid thoughts of him hooking up with someone else (he hasn't been single for 12 years!) because he says he doesn't know how to be single..

i know i shouldn't worry about him but i can't help but worry that i'll get hurt more when i see him or hear about him being with someone else. i'm not going to try and outdo him by finding a rebound because i know i have to work on myself since i lost ME in the relationship and was so dependent but it's just SO HARD. i want to get out and do stuff but i don't FEEL like it and i hate that i can't go to certain things knowing he might be there. like why does it have to be ME to change my lifestyle and not him. but he DOES work in the entertainment industry so he HAS to be at certain things. but i don't want to have to find places to go because i tried and i didn't even like the crowd. AHH i hate this so much. i feel like i'm draining everyone especially myself.. and i have trouble sleeping at night and wake up with chest pain and longing for him. i sound so ridiculous but this is how i feel

i know i shouldn't worry about him but i can't help but worry that i'll get hurt more when i see him or hear about him being with someone else. i'm not going to try and outdo him by finding a rebound because i know i have to work on myself since i lost ME in the relationship and was so dependent but it's just SO HARD. i want to get out and do stuff but i don't FEEL like it and i hate that i can't go to certain things knowing he might be there. like why does it have to be ME to change my lifestyle and not him.
    Yes, it's not exactly fair, but you'll only be torturing yourself going to these places where you know he'll be. It's only a temporary move until you get over him. Then you'll be able to go back to not avoiding these spots.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Time heals all wounds. Do not have any communication with him as it will only delay the healing. I am going thru it myself. Just today I got a standard email acknowledging something I told her (we are still separating our goods and bills) and just ready a nothing special no emotions email brought a bad feel to my stomach, thus having no communication for a while is the best thing.
    "Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Nietzsche

There are two dilemmas... that rattle the human skull. How do you hold onto someone who won't stay? And how do you get rid of someone who won't go?

Stay strong. If you ever need to let out your emotions, we are here and we will help you to get through it. In fact, I feel like letting some emotions out....that short old ass SOB. Who does he think he is to play me like that! Bitch ass, old tired ass, MF!

WOW...I feel better! It is not the end of the world. If it is meant to be, it will happen. Listen to that song by Mariah Carey....Always Be My Baby. If he does not come back to you, maybe there is someone that is better for you. Regardless, God has a plan for all of us....rather we like it or not.

i just saw him today to get the rest of my stuff and get his stuff out my way. i kept my composure until the end and just cried and hugged him goodbye. he said we would talk after i got back from my 1 week vacation but i said we don't have to but he just said no we'll talk.

i don't know what else to do anymore. he said he was sad and that he did miss me at times (i asked) but i know inside this is what's best. i just can't find the strength to really LET GO and just feel better. i keep going backwards and thinking negative thoughts of him with another girl or his ex before me. i hate my brain! i just wanna be ok but i know it's gonna take TIME. and that's all i can really do is wait. and force myself to go out and pretend to have a good time knowing i MIGHT just run into him. i'm not going to the events they have anymore but i will go to other things and i'm pretty sure there will be a day when he'll be there.

i know i have to be completely healed before i can even TRY to be friends with him. but i don't know how to heal! it's like i lost my best friend, the one i ran to and confided in about EVERYTHING and anything.. and now i don't have that. i told him that and he said that i would just have to find someone else to talk to for now but that in the future we can probably be open like that with each other again. i have stupid hope that when we both fix ourselves we might be ok.. but i need to erase that form my head because it's just gonna leave me more hurt in the end when it doesn't happen.

i know it sounds selfish but i just wish i would be the first to move on so it wouldn't be as hard if i saw him with someone else. but with my luck, that won't happen! thanks so much for listening.. sometimes i feel like i drain my friends so i keep things in.

I think all of us on this board have suffered a bad break up.

I remember after a break up of mine I struggled to get out of bed and go to work but I made myself. I forced myself to do everything as normal because you need to develop new patterns and routine. It is the emptiness of the familiar that we often miss as well as the person them self.

I agree with pampering yourself but give yourself time. Different people grieve for different periods of time. When you feel a little better get your girlfriends together and go out dancing (or something that you enjoy doing).

i woke up today with the feeling of longing and emptiness in my chest. i went to work for the first time since we broke up and it was my last day for a couple weeks because i'm going on a leave until mid october. even at work, all i could do was think of him and relate EVERYTHING to him. i look out the window at the ocean and i just think of things like how we went to so many beaches and all that crap. it's been a week but i can't shake him out my head!

what made it worse was when i got home, there was a box of cupcakes that was delivered here and it said "thank you for everything you've done for me" and it's from him to my family. it just hurts so much. we're on good terms but he made it clear that we have to not have any contact for awhile until i'm "fully healed" before we can even hang out as friends. i don't even see that coming because i've been stuck in this rut for so long. not just this week but that last 2 months when we were in limbo. it does feel better now that i'm not continuously thinking about if we're gonna break up or not. but this is complete heartbreak. even my dad said he doesn't want to hate him but he wonders how he can just give it all up after me giving him SO much and showing him so many new things and taking him to so many places... it's just so horrible how i feel and i don't know how i'm ever going to get out of this.

is keeping myself busy only suppressing the thoughts and pain and will ultimately build up? or will it diminish over time.. because i don't see that light at the end of the tunnel or whatever. i don't see my ever getting through this because all i can think of is him and the little hope that if once we both fix ourselves things might work out. but he told me i can't think that way because then we can never be friends since i won't really be over him.. AHHH help me

is keeping myself busy only suppressing the thoughts and pain and will ultimately build up? or will it diminish over time.. because i don't see that light at the end of the tunnel or whatever. i don't see my ever getting through this because all i can think of is him and the little hope that if once we both fix ourselves things might work out. but he told me i can't think that way because then we can never be friends since i won't really be over him.. AHHH help me
    I am all in favour of allowing yourself to grieve. If you feel miserable and want to stay in bed do it.

However there is a time where you must force yourself out of it. I'm not sure if this vacation is necessarily a good thing. I have found in the past that going to work is the best thing because you have to put on a face for people and that helps get over it. The more time you have alone the more you will think about it which isn't good.

You are in the toughest earliest part of your break up. You have to feel all of these things until they start to get better..and they WILL get better.

thank you all.. tonight was rough because it was my friend's going away dinner (i'm going with her to the east coast for my vacation and she's moving there) and my ex didn't go because he didn't want to really see all my friends and have it awkward.. but his brother went and it just hurt me hearing him talk to my friend about her coming home and going to this and that with him... knowing I CAN'T because my ex will be there. the reason my friend and him got close (best friends!) was because of my and my ex! and now i feel so left out

i hung out with my friends tonight and it was nice to kind of be distracted... but then i come home and here it goes again.. i know it will take time.. i just wish i was there already.. don't know how else to get through this... and i do force myself to go out although i hardly ever enjoy it. maybe one day i will. fake it til i make it right? haha that sounds horrible. but what else can i do..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast