+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Family moves yet again... 3rd country change in my life.

Family moves yet again... 3rd country change in my life.

So that's 4 countries in 20 years. ****, this is frustrating. Just when you start calling one place your home, you got to start over again.

I mean, it didn't bother me when I was a kid, since I never really got the chance to know the first two countries that well. I split 10 years between the first two. Then we spend the next 9 years in the next, that's when I really got to know a place. I don't even remember the first two places, but the last one was home for me.
    Last edited by Off2College; 26-09-08 at 12:29 AM.

So if there was a choice, would you have preferred to move around or stay in one place for 20 years?

Well, if you are 20, you can decide to NOT move.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your parent (or parents) should get a different job

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Off2College, your SN suggests you are going to uni?

Do you have any sibs, or are you the last?

I know when my son heads off, we'll be kiting off all over the world.

What do your parents do? My guess is military, troubleshooter, or government.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I'm an only child. Parents are in business. Our family is very fragmented. For as long as I can remember, I've always lived by myself or only with one parent, as one of my parents was always out on work trips or business trips. For example, I spent an entire week by myself during the school year when I was 8 or 9. I was scared as shit at nights that entire week.

Even right now, for example, one parent is overseas, one is back home, and I'm at University in a different country from where my parents are.

It sucks for me because I'm pretty lonely at university too. Don't got a girlfriend or anyone to fall back on. All my closest high school friends are back home, in a different country. I have no close friends in college.

I've learned to deal with loneliness... I guess. I find myself drifting a lot, like my parents. I can't hold down one social group, and I really float around many social groups. To be honest, I don't want to get tied down to a social group, yet I want to be part of something... When I travel, I just wonder around the Northeastern USA to random cities to alleviate the boredom of staying at the dorm by myself. I don't even go home for Thanksgiving because the plane tickets are not worth it.

Plus, I've lived my entire life with just two parents. All my relatives all lived in the first country.
    Last edited by Off2College; 26-09-08 at 10:43 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Off2College View Post
    I'm an only child. Parents are in business. Our family is very fragmented. For as long as I can remember, I've always lived by myself or only with one parent, as one of my parents was always out on work trips or business trips. For example, I spent an entire week by myself during the school year when I was 8 or 9. I was scared as shit at nights that entire week.
    Is this true?? My son is 8. We could never do this. No family to check on you, or stay with you? My God, O2C, that is terrible. Criminal, in fact. I am so sorry this happened to you.

I am glad you found this forum. And that you survived your parents. Do join a social group at your college, martial arts, music... something you enjoy. You need to find one or two good friends, its esp important as an only, and college is a great time to make these connections. Please don't miss out b/c you were messed up by your distant parents.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your parents are dumb.

If you feel a strong urge to defend them, then this only goes to show what kind of disservice they've done you.

I wouldn't even leave my teenagers home alone for a week. I agree with indi - that is outrageous, and incredibly sad.

I don't feel the need to defend my parents to strangers on an online forum, so I won't even bother.

think of it this way. you get to meet so many others