+ Follow This Topic

Thread: art v science

art v science

Which is more important in your view

art or science?

I know that they can intermingle at times but i mean in the basic sense of what is more important i.e gives more to humanity?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

I think more people benefit in a measurable way from science, but the benefits of the creative arts (including music) are immeasurable. This question is kind of like asking "which sense is more important: sight or hearing?".

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    Which is more important in your view

art or science?

I know that they can intermingle at times but i mean in the basic sense of what is more important i.e gives more to humanity?
    I think you need a balance of both.

We do need science but it is also art that gives us humanity and a sense of our existence & meaning.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.

i think maybe art gives more to humanity
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Someone on here tried telling me that science is a 'real' class, as opposed to whatever he assumes I am studying, let alone, even knows whether I am in college at all. Heh heh.

Anyway, during my university experience, I have found that all subjects are equal in importance. To me, it's not just focusing on one particular subject... you won't get very far. In science and mathematics, if you are not able to imagine things, you will not be able to elaborate on theories, or illustrate your ideas. That is very important in that field. If you can't, you're basically just planning on taking a monkey white-collar job; you're not going to do much. That's where art comes in, you know. I mean, anyone can study science... just like anyone can play guitar. No such thing as talent, folks. It's how you apply it.

In art, if you don't know anything about perspective, perception, color, or any of that, you're terribly doomed for failure. There is so much chemistry that goes into painting and photography... if you don't know the origin of these chemicals, or how they react with each other, you won't be able to use those mediums. Some people think that art is just some doodle time fun - they don't know what they are talking about. There are so many mathematical and scientific things that go into art, you won't know it until your intuition is in its prime. Of course, those things only take form in technicalities... once you get in a habit of doing things, what you learn goes so far beyond what science, mathematics, or any other subject could teach you.

Language is key to communication. If you can't communicate your ideas, you won't be able to compare and contrast ideas with other people. If you don't share your ideas, you won't be able to build very fast. It's common sense. There are unfortunately so many language barriers, internationally, regionally, and socially.

History is also important. You don't want to reinvent the wheel, do you? Well, it's always good to have a hands on experience, but it really does feel crappy when you discover that you have only reinvented the wheel, when you truly thought you had invented something no one has ever seen before. Communication ties in a lot with that subject.

So all of these subjects are very important. If you are not studying all of these things, you can't get far, except by chance.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 01-10-08 at 08:35 AM.

i think maybe art gives more to humanity
    If you really think that, you need to take some science and health courses.

thanks dopple, that was interesting. I do agree that all these things are important and are intertwined.

I guess what i was trying to compare was what art ( ie creations, expressions, music, literature etc) compared to science and what it has produced (ie technology).

maybe it's is dumb question, but the reason i'm leaning towards art is simply because provokes emotions both good and bad and the imagination

science provokes the same, but i think science also includes death of people, i don't think art kills people?

science has produced weapons and the atom bomb, and lest we forget the pharma pills hehe

i know it comes down to human stupidity whether they are used negatively, however humans have shown time and time again how stupid they can be...wars etc, so that's why i lean towards art in this comparison,

maybe it's irrelevant because it's too complicated to compare in such a simplistic way...

science provokes the same, but i think science also includes death of people, i don't think art kills people?
    Some art can influence mass murder. Propaganda posters were widely used by fascist regimes to convince people into following the beliefs of their state.

They were almost used as weapons you could say.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We could have all the art in the world, but it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if we didn't have science. At twenty-five I'd be an old man. Actually, I would have died when I was about eight. I had appendicitis. For every death science indirectly causes through humanity's abuse it saves countless more.

Without art I'd be completely bored of life at the age of twenty-five and ready to jump off a bridge, however. It's definitely important too.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

starbuck ye good point.

if you were to compare the loss of life from propoganda and technology?

propoganda (which again reaches people because of technology) it woudnt have the same effect if the technology wasn't there

if you take technology away from the world, would we be unhappy?

if you took art away from the world would we be unhappy?

i know its probably way too simplistic to compare really.....i have these random thoughts every so often....

if you were to compare the loss of life from propoganda and technology?
    It would be the same. The bombs don't drop themselves.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ha, Eco still trying to stir shit. LOL.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

ha ha very funny indi

We can't have one with out the other. You need a creative artist's mind to think of creative ways to solve science problems. Some of the testing procedures in the scientific method on some projects I have seen were very creative.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 01-10-08 at 12:06 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."