+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: culture

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    They have easily the most reliable cars, EASILY

Our schools rock, of the best 20, 17 are American

You can teach calculus to someone who is 10, that doesn't mean he understands it any better

I know MANY of foreign students who were like "I took multivariable calculus in China at age 17" but demonstrate they don't know SHIT about linear algebra in my class outside of the little bubble of memorization they came from
    Yes, there are a few great schools here and a few great minds...but for this population size it isn't anything special...special for the amount of horrible and pathetic community colleges around. Math is a great subject and very useful in science, I don't get your obsession with it...I don't think it determines a cultures success.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well for China, the country you think is so great, has only 6 Nobel prizes for over 1 billion people and the US has over 300 for 300 million people

I just think math is sometimes useful to determine how much logic can be contained in a persons post. As is, if they can't do math they can't be expected to have logic beyond some level

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Say super genius is found in .08% of the population. China ought to have over three times as many geniuses, right?

Doesn't it stand to reason that if China becomes a free nation (which it is gradually working towards) those geniuses are going to start earning their own Nobel prizes and over time they're going to overtake America?

Why wouldn't they?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Genetically I am highly skeptical that China is capable

While Koreans and Chinese people are smarter on average than white people, I don't think they have nearly as many geniuses

Geniuses are more often found in Central and Western Europe as well as some of Russia

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    DM, sometimes you are just stupid. We've already been over this.

Nobel prizes are the result of a *lifetime* of work. Current prizes are being given for work done, in general, a decade or more earlier.

The US *was* the dominant research power. Whether is will continue to be is now debatable.

Did you enjoy the Chinese space walk last week?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    DM, sometimes you are just stupid. We've already been over this.

Nobel prizes are the result of a *lifetime* of work. Current prizes are being given for work done, in general, a decade or more earlier.
    Not necessarily. The discovery of single reactions has been the source of Nobel prizes. The discovery of fullerenes, of reverse transcriptase, the Friedel-Crafts reaction for instance all earned Nobel prizes

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What part of *in general* didn't you understand?

And just how long ago did David Baltimore do his work, DM? I *went* to his early talks, when he was still at MIT. Look it up.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The US *was* the dominant research power. Whether is will continue to be is now debatable.
    Well being an undergrad and seeing the future of one group of the future of researchers and whatever has given me lots of hope, that's for sure. Almost all of the smartest kids I know here are American or Canadian, NONE of the smartest kids from any Asian country except South Korea. Because, while a lot of Asians are very smart, genetically they just lack the diversity for super intelligence

One of the kids in the engineering physics department (best in the country) shares almost all similar political views as well, we enjoy the company of eachother

Did you enjoy the Chinese space walk last week?
    It's like technology from 50 years ago just got to 20% of the worlds population. Hey, same goes with our music. They were probably playing Elvis up there

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What part of *in general* didn't you understand?
    I didn't read it

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's like technology from 50 years ago just got to 20% of the worlds population. Hey, same goes with our music. They were probably playing Elvis up there
    I agree. But, one must walk before you can run. Question is, whether they will run with it.

Frankly, so long as *some* portion of humanity gets off the planet, I don't really give a crap which nation achieves it. If its more than one, even better. More than past time.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Personally, I don't give a crap whether we get off the planet or not

Like I said before, I'm a capitalist and family oriented man first before anything else. If China provides me with the opportunity to get filthy fuccking rich and make a good life for my kids, you'll find me with Chinese citizenship

Well for China, the country you think is so great, has only 6 Nobel prizes for over 1 billion people and the US has over 300 for 300 million people

I just think math is sometimes useful to determine how much logic can be contained in a persons post. As is, if they can't do math they can't be expected to have logic beyond some level
    When did I say that China is so great or better?
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 01-10-08 at 11:39 AM.

A person's wisdom will be detectable through their logic and reasoning. Logic and reasoning are their own definitions and math is not necessary for either to be true..though you do need logic for math...so bad math doesn't mean you have bad logic but if you have bad logic you will have a hard time with math.

Almost all of the smartest kids I know here are American or Canadian, NONE of the smartest kids from any Asian country except South Korea. Because, while a lot of Asians are very smart, genetically they just lack the diversity for super intelligence
    As I said before, we are all born with equal potential.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 01-10-08 at 11:50 AM.

The love of money is the root of all evil
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OK people keep saying "What is keeping China from making lots of maths and sciences?"

And nobody really responded to what I said about the fact that genetically they are at a huge disadvantage in my opinion

That, and also the majority of the population is extremely poor

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast