+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you break up with a good guy? I'm afraid and upset. :(

How do you break up with a good guy? I'm afraid and upset. :(

I've decided (sort of) that my relationship with my bf cannot go on. "Sort of", because the reason that "I'm not happy" and the thought of breaking up... well the reason is... "funny". Though it's not funny at all. Sorry about that...

I just don't feel that we belong together. We don't have the same interest I thought we had in the beginning. Actually we share only 1-2 interests, but... the rest (I have a lot of interests!) is just not there. He doesn't like opera, I love it, he doesn't like red wine, I love it, he doesn't like my kind of music, I love it, I'm more of a career person, he's more of a family person, I'd like to adopt, he'd like, that I'd give birth etc. And we've had a lot of arguments lately about the smallest issues. He thinks I spend too much time on my school and work and hobbies, he also thinks that I don't help him enough and... he thinks I'm always about me, me and me. Am I? I want to be happy, but... at the moment I'm not. Am I just supposed to wait until the storm passes or... is it best if we both just moved on?

We're both 21, go to the same university, we've been together for about 1,5 years of which about 9 months he spent in another city, studying. And I've really started thinking that... maybe he left too soon - we just didn't get to know each other and now... we've done that and... I've found out that he's not the guy I'm looking for.

He really is a good guy. He's caring, friendly, kind, loving, but... I don't feel passion anymore. And he's really worried that I'm going to break up with him and.. I'm scared to do that. I don't want to hurt him. But I feel that in a longer perspective we'll both be unhappy. That's what I feel. I do not know that for sure of course. If I didn't broke up with him and if I worked hard on our relationship, would everything be ok in the end? Would I ever get the idea, that maybe he's not the one for me, out of my head? Would it come haunting again after some time?

And if I do break up with him... how the hell am I supposed to tell him the truth. "I really do love you, but I just feel, we're not right for each other"? What kind of an explanation is that?

I'm so afraid. I'm afraid, that I've made up my mind. I'm afraid to confess myself... that I've made up my mind. I'm afraid of his reaction. For three nights in a row I've cried myself to sleep. I love him! But I feel, my love's more motherly or... that I love him more like a very very good friend or something like that. I don't see ourselves getting married or having children. At first I did, but... not anymore. What should I do? Break up or wait?
    Last edited by hermionegranger; 15-10-08 at 04:57 AM.

it really sounds like you should break up with him. don't feel guilty, it's better that you are honest now rather than later. you're only 21 and you'll get over it and so will he. say you're sorry but you have too many differences and that you enjoyed the time you had but you want focus on yourself and your career.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 15-10-08 at 05:10 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

another example of the nice guy getting nowhere persona

It sounds to me like the explanation you suggested is honest while it may not be satisfying to him. I think if that's how you feel, you should tell him that in the kindest way you can.

I've had similar breakups and I know it's really hard. He certainly won't take it well, but the sooner you get it over with the better. He doubtless already knows something is up and probably is feeling crappy already.

Good luck, and I hope it goes as well as it conceivably can.

My ex did this to me... But even so, she was a bad girlfriend, so I really should have done it.

Be fair to him and yourself. Don't let it drag on or it will hurt both of you in the long run. You care for him and you seem like a good person. Don't feel guilty about this. He'll hurt, I know he will because I hurt like no other. I mean even if you guys aren't compatible, you guys can still be friends in time and still help each other out.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How do you let a good man down?

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq9nb5WpMb8"]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq9nb5WpMb8[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by hermionegranger View Post
    He doesn't like opera, I love it,
    Good luck!
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Despite the fact that I really think we're not meant to be together, I still feel bad about it. I feel that I haven't been a very good girlfriend, especially because i can't love him for who he is. Am I really asking too much? Why aren't I satisfied? Are similar interests really that important? I just feel that if I continue like this for the rest of my life, for 60 forecoming years... I'm not ready for it, he'd be unhappy, I'd be unhappy. But he really believes we belong together. He thinks I'm the one for him, he thinks we're perfect for each other. How do I crush his dream? It hurts terribly. But then again - I know I'm going to take that step sooner or later and we're both gonna have to deal with the pain. It's just so hard to decide, when's the right moment and... it's hard to tell myself that I'm actually doing the right thing, because a part of me keeps repeating to myself that I'm being immature and stupid. Am I immature and stupid? Am I giving up too fast?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_91 View Post
    another example of the nice guy getting nowhere persona
    That's totally not what this is about. She's not complaining that he's too nice for her, she's complaining they have nothing in common.

Hermione, you are only 21. Don't feel guilty about not feeling compatible with this guy. At your age, you're still going to go through a lot of personal growth over the next few years of your life, and they may drive the wedge even further. Don't feel bad about this, you're doing him a favour by letting him go. It will give you both the freedom to find people that are more compatible.

Yeah, he will probably be hurt, but then when he does meet someone he's more compatible with, something he probably didn't think possible, he will be really thankful. You're not being immature and stupid, you're being realistic.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

You think after 1 and a half years is giving up? My ex gave up after a month and a half -.- ... So go for it. I think you have put ample thought into this.

Tedel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hermionegranger View Post
    I just don't feel that we belong together. We don't have the same interest I thought we had in the beginning.
    If a girl ever breaks up with me saying this, although I'd be hurt in my ego for a moment; I'd admire her maturity forever.

Nobody likes to be the bad guy of the movie, hermionegranger, but sometimes you have to break the eggs if you want to make an omelette.

I'm in much of the same situation...except I have another guy waiting for me.

Ive been with my current boyfriend for 9 months and I, too, attend a university. This has been the hardest few months of my life and I'm ready to let go.

You are 21, you deserve to have fun, live life, do whatever. And if you're worried about hurting him, he needs to stand on his own two feet and staying with him won't help him do that.

If it is meant to be in the end, you two will find eachother.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    "Nobody likes to be the bad guy of the movie"

Bullshit.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Be strong enough to tell whats inside your heart.
    Try to give him a suggestion! A week or a month
    your call off then be back with in that time. Then tell
    what you have felt if your not committed with each other.
    Then that's the time you will decide if your going to continue
    your relationship or not.

I've made my final decision - I've decided to break up with him. But how do I do that? I know I need to be strong and tell him kindly and politely, why have I made my decision and so on, but... I know, I'm going to cry, I'm going to forget half of the things I want him to know and the whole breaking up is going to be terrible. How am I supposed to react to his reactions? He has cried before, what should I do if he starts crying this time as well? I love him, but... I love him as a friend, I don't want to see him hurt. Though I know - there's no other way and we're both gonna hurt like hell...

He's still willing to try and make things better, but I don't have any hope, especially because we have very different interests in life. How do I explain that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast