Our last conversation was something like this...

"I am confused. I wish that I would have communicated clearly. I did not know that you were unhappy. I cannot be with someone who does not want to be with me. I would not have been taking care of myself if I had stayed with you. Please understand that I had tried to communicate as best I could with you. I am frustrated that I can’t connect with you in a way that fulfills your needs. I wished that who I am was enough to create happiness in your life. I am sorry but I cannot see you again unless you are clear you want to be with me. I can no longer handle the wavering instability that our relationship was. If we decide to be together again, I would need a stable foundation for us to work from.

I love you and who you are. Your beauty, sense of humor, compassion, pride and self-respect are just a few of your qualities I hold close to my heart. In my heart is where you will always be.

I’ve given a lot of thought to what we shared. I would like you to know that I do sometimes stop and look at what is up for me, what I feel is going on for me. I just don’t share all of those with you. I think those moments happen when I am alone. I won’t plead for you to come back, or promise that I’ll change who I am, but I want you to know that I have hope for us."

From her...

I too am confused and I am clear that I have been struggling in this relationship for a while. The same issue keeps resurfacing. I love you dearly and in my life I want to open more, expand my way of being and thinking- I don't know exactly what that looks like and I feel like what we want or how we want to be is very different. I grew up with very rigid, narrow minded parents. Things are black or white and that is not life for me. I experience in you some pretty linear thinking and feel confined and restricted in that. I guess I am wanting you to explore your own fear and I can't make you nor do I want you to be at a place that you just aren't and I need to respect that I am at a very different place in my life.

I notice that on the one hand I feel very lucky to have someone (you) who doesn't want to give up on us and I don't know how to continue. Thank you for sending me the therapy link. I feel like I need some time to sit with all this and I would like to have a session with Dorthy to help me in this process.

I will be in touch and I want you to know that you are enough. You are the most wonderful man that has come into my life. I cherish your strength and warmth and have felt protected and cared for so deeply by you. I have just wanted to see more of you. Never knowing how I impact or affect you makes it very hard for me to feel a deep connection between us.I have just wanted to see more of you- your anger, fears, desires, vulnerability etc.. I know that revealing yourself and myself is scarey and it feels like the only way to real intimacy."

We were together for nearly two years until she told me she was unhappy. I feel cheated here. What do I do? Should I attempt to reconnect or just let her go? We've gone through a lot together and feel that she doesn't care to bring up how successful we were at getting through those times. Anyway any comment woul dbe appreciated.
Thanks