+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Metabolism Naturally

Increasing Metabolism Naturally

Hey folks, wondering if I could get a little help with this. I'm about 5'8" and 170. I'm a relatively muscular guy. Lift regurlarly and I'm an avid cyclist (between 15-25 miles at a time). I do that probably 4-5 days a week. I'm just looking for a good way to speed up my metabolism naturally and lose some of my gut. Thanks for the help.

clean up your diet.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

You don't sound overweight to me. However, if you want to drop a couple of pounds, try cutting out sugar and processed foods.

replace carbs by protein (not the crappy protein shakes or anything) but include more fish, nuts, etc in your diet.

Ok I will preface this by saying that I am in no way an expert.

However I have been doing some reading in terms of non essential amino acids for the body.

Perhaps you can do some reading your self and form your own opinion.

The amino acid is L Tyrosine. Maybe others on the board could offer their view as I love to learn about this type of stuff.

The information could be wrong, but I have heard that eating regularly will increase your metabolism. That means, don't pig out, eat breakfast, and eat snacks. Also, don't eat when you're doing something else, like driving or watching TV because you'll overeat.

Add more mileage!

15-25...bah! That's just a warmup.

Just keep building up slowly and also cut the crap out of your diet. There isn't any special vitamin or food that will speed up your diet. Only working out and a good diet can do that.

You want to lose real weight, find a group that's faster than you. You will get dropped, repeat every week till you can keep up and drop them. Then find another group that is faster than you, and repeat. That's how you lose weight and get faster/stronger.

Woot, 5'9" 138lbs...I love cycling.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    be like me.. drink more beer so you have more carbs to burn.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Thanks for the help y'all. I wouldn't consider myself fat, but I could lose some pounds. Got a small gut, that's all.

Another question for y'all: What can I do about willpower? Any ways to strengthen it? I think that might be my biggest weakness actually. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Add more mileage!

15-25...bah! That's just a warmup.
    I've only been really into it since about June or July. How much do you think I should be riding? 7:30 AM on Saturday I should be doing abotu 28-30 miles with a group that meets up at the local bike shop. Little worried about that, not so much because they are fast, but because I'm probably going to be a little hungover on Saturday haha.

what are you eating? get rid of the junk food. fatty, carbalicious food will cancel out your workout.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    what are you eating? get rid of the junk food. fatty, carbalicious food will cancel out your workout.
    Yeah, that's the problem really. That and possibly portion control.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
    Another question for y'all: What can I do about willpower? Any ways to strengthen it? I think that might be my biggest weakness actually. Thanks again.
    It's all about looking at the outcome, set goals and stick to them. Try to make friends and it will motivate you to keep going. Probably the hardest thing about any sport is dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
    I've only been really into it since about June or July. How much do you think I should be riding? 7:30 AM on Saturday I should be doing abotu 28-30 miles with a group that meets up at the local bike shop. Little worried about that, not so much because they are fast, but because I'm probably going to be a little hungover on Saturday haha.
    28-30miles really isn't a lot depending on the actual route. I mean 30 miles on flat ground is really not a lot at all. 30 miles of climbing can be. I usually only put in about 20-40mile days that usually are all climbing with a faster group. Then once every week I try to go for a long flat ride. Usually 60-80 miles. If you've got any hills/mountains near you take advantage of that. Probably one of the quickest ways to become a stronger rider is climbing. Of course you want to do some sprinting and flat ground riding as well.

Really don't worry too much about mileage right now. What your goals should be is getting out there consistently and riding with people faster than you. Yes, you will get dropped, don't let that discourage you, just keep going out there and keep pushing and eventually you'll be dropping them.

Try to mix it up a little bit, plan at least one LONG ride every week. You want to build up your mileage slowly on your rides. Say for example you do 30 miles this week, maybe next week try adding in another 5 miles. Then continue this. If you feel you need to take a break one week that you're beating your ass into the ground take it easy and go back down to 30 miles for just that week.

If you haven't figured it out already, another key to cycling is proper hydration and food. Have you bonked (hit the wall) yet? I remember the first time I did, 30 miles from home and I bonked. Basically your body just gives up, runners call it hitting the wall. You feel sick, sleepy, your muscles just don't respond and it is near impossible to move on. How does this happen? Not from being out of shape, but because you're not eating properly. You need carbs, electrolytes, and water. A rule of thumb for water is 500ml every hour. Of course that can vary from person and temperature and that's something you'll eventually figure out on yourself. Bring something small along with you to nibble on that you know won't upset your stomach or weigh you down while riding. I'm a fan of cliff bars, they're easy on my stomach, taste good, and you can find them anywhere. I also like their Shot Blox. The margarita ones are good.

Eating really depends on the person, for me two cliff bars will do me fine for a 60-70 mile ride. So you're going to just have to experiment with both drinking and eating to figure out what works best for you.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 24-10-08 at 11:03 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    wow biking 30 miles.. it's no wonder you don't have a life.

raverboy

Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    It's all about looking at the outcome, set goals and stick to them. Try to make friends and it will motivate you to keep going. Probably the hardest thing about any sport is dedication.

28-30miles really isn't a lot depending on the actual route. I mean 30 miles on flat ground is really not a lot at all. 30 miles of climbing can be. I usually only put in about 20-40mile days that usually are all climbing with a faster group. Then once every week I try to go for a long flat ride. Usually 60-80 miles. If you've got any hills/mountains near you take advantage of that. Probably one of the quickest ways to become a stronger rider is climbing. Of course you want to do some sprinting and flat ground riding as well.

Really don't worry too much about mileage right now. What your goals should be is getting out there consistently and riding with people faster than you. Yes, you will get dropped, don't let that discourage you, just keep going out there and keep pushing and eventually you'll be dropping them.

Try to mix it up a little bit, plan at least one LONG ride every week. You want to build up your mileage slowly on your rides. Say for example you do 30 miles this week, maybe next week try adding in another 5 miles. Then continue this. If you feel you need to take a break one week that you're beating your ass into the ground take it easy and go back down to 30 miles for just that week.

If you haven't figured it out already, another key to cycling is proper hydration and food. Have you bonked (hit the wall) yet? I remember the first time I did, 30 miles from home and I bonked. Basically your body just gives up, runners call it hitting the wall. You feel sick, sleepy, your muscles just don't respond and it is near impossible to move on. How does this happen? Not from being out of shape, but because you're not eating properly. You need carbs, electrolytes, and water. A rule of thumb for water is 500ml every hour. Of course that can vary from person and temperature and that's something you'll eventually figure out on yourself. Bring something small along with you to nibble on that you know won't upset your stomach or weigh you down while riding. I'm a fan of cliff bars, they're easy on my stomach, taste good, and you can find them anywhere. I also like their Shot Blox. The margarita ones are good.

Eating really depends on the person, for me two cliff bars will do me fine for a 60-70 mile ride. So you're going to just have to experiment with both drinking and eating to figure out what works best for you.
    Yeah, I guess I have to slowly start building up to that. As for hydration, I bring 2 500mL bottles with me everytime I go out and usually finish both right as I'm getting back to my house. I'm also a big fan of Clif bars. I'll usually have one as a cool-down snack after I finish my ride.

As for the dedication, I really don't have a problem with that. If I feel like taking a day off, I might hit the gym or do an intense kickboxing cardio workout with my neighbor. I usually take off 1 day a week.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha it's funny because this geek, i mean greek, is only just starting to work out. it's like you telling him that you bench 4 plates to his 100 pounds.. obviously he won't be very impressed because he doesn't know better.

raverboy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast