+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Dating

Online Dating

I hardly ever get out to meet people and sometimes I get so lonely for the comfort of a man. With that said, has anyone experience online dating where you actually got the chance to meet him/her in person? How was the date? And would you recommend it?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Both of my last two cousins who got married found eachother on online dating sites

Try online dating, it's easy and it's fun
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    back when asianavenue was a hit.. i met a lot of people.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Yeah I frequently go on dates I get on-line. I've been doing it for the past 2 months and get at least one a week - and I always aim for it to be a week night (because you need to make sure you let them know you're always busy at weekends).

Write yourself a decent profile and wait for the winks to come in. I find, if they're local, email them 6/7 times over 2 or so weeks and then ask if they wanna meet up for a drink. But take your time over the emails, use good spelling and grammar and make it personal to them. Always be positive and friendly and be amusing where possible. Make them want to meet you.

You get some good dates and you get some where there really is no chemistry, but don't be disheartened by that. It's not like you have to see them again. You'll know if you want to see them again within the first 10 minutes (as they will you, too) - and if you know you wouldn't want to see them again use the opportunity to talk to the opposite sex and learn and experiment.

It is a great way of meeting people and you can even get some good friends from it, if nothing else :-)

Plus I find it quite a thrill, both the build-up and the date itself. I haven't found a perfect half yet but have met some nice people and I'll continue to get as many dates as poss!

Tedel Guest
    It's fun, I agree. Just try not to look "too sexy" in your pictures, or you won't be taken seriously by the opposite sex.

My 0.02

Thanks. I created a profile and I have been getting friendship requests. There are some good looking, professional men online. I am glad that I created one and did not listen to my friend who said dating someone online seems desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Both of my last two cousins who got married found eachother on online dating sites
    Ya know, thats really funny because its the same story with my last two cousins who got married.

I haven't date online for about two years. There are advantages and disadvantages to it. If I was single, I'd probably do both online and regular dating. Though it is easier to meet people on line, when your not working, going to school or going out a lot.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I met my fiance online. Sure, you do meet your share of losers on there, but that makes it not much different from meeting someone in 'the real world'. I find you have a better chance at finding someone you like, because you can be pickier. You can get to know a little about them through email and phone convos before you decide to meet them.

It worked so well for me, I recommended to everyone....my Dad ended up meeting a wonderful woman online after years of dating losers. I've seen a good success rate from it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

i have to say i'd luv to have the guts to, but honestly there seems to be this stigma here (which i think is affecting the types that go on them) and also when i look online i never see anyone interesting enough, they all look like 'jack the lads' especially with their profile summaries.

the only decent ones are from abroad. i think irish men just go on them to take the piss.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 25-10-08 at 01:57 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

I wound up falling in love with a girl on the net, but it wasn't through a dating site.

Anyway, my preference has always been the old fashioned dating. But try it and see if it's for you. When you meet a person online, they can hide their flaws from you more easily, and you end up wasting more time looking for a person on the internet, unless you're lucky.

Most of the people I bumped into were not even that good looking, they were all commitment freaks, wanted to start a relationship right away, before getting to even know me, and a lot of superficial profiles. I mean, in the description of themselves, they would describe how they look, again, even though their stats are right there with a picture and everything... as if there were nothing to say about their inner persona.

I also bumped into some real creeper girls. Some of them had really contradictory things in their profiles, like saying they were really mature, but then saying how much they like watching anime cartoons and jumping in puddles and stuff. Just retarded things like that. And every female seemed to be looking for that special knight in shining armor who would treat them like a princess.

I never found what I wanted on any of those websites, but it also helped me see what kind of female is right for me. And I think I've found her. Hopefully everything works out the way we want it to.

Good luck, and be rational!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Portion #9 View Post
    Thanks. I created a profile and I have been getting friendship requests. There are some good looking, professional men online. I am glad that I created one and did not listen to my friend who said dating someone online seems desperate.
    I don't think there's a stigma anymore. Almost everything is done on the net these days, why not dating? Just make sure you meet the people in a safe location. It sounds dorky, but I like to do afternoon coffee dates because if I'm not interested I don't have to spend the whole evening with the guy, and if I am, we can parlay the date into an evening thing if he wants.

I have an online profile up on one of the dating websites, but I haven't been paying much attention to it lately. It seems like the kind of thing you have to actually put the time and effort into it or else your profile will get lost in the shuffle. Maybe now that I'm jobless, I can work on mine.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

i did it for a year straight i had mono andcouldnt get a local relationship so i turned to internet dating to keep my head up and i went out with this girl and we actually did meet up and the date was the best date i ever went on in my life unfourtanently our relationship came to an end and havent heard from her since so go ahead and give it a shot because lifes simple you make choices and you dont look back so give it a shot but what ever you do try to keep up on seeing each other and dont let the distance screw it up

Give it a try. It has worked for me and I know quite a number of people who have either married or are in relationships from meeting online.

If I can make a suggestion about a few things:

You need to make your profile stand out. So many have the same head lines ie Looking for love or Are you Mr Right or something lame like that. Think out of left field. It doesn't have to be sappy.

For me I like it when I can see someone's humour come out from a profile. Don't take yourself too seriously. have fun with it.

Make sure your photo is clear and not with an ex cut out of it.

Also to those people who think there is a stigma there really isn't any more. On the weekend I was at a dinner and 2 beautiful 27 y.o woman said they would internet date with no qualms if their relationship ended. Besides if you met the person for you would you really care?

It's how I met my fiancee.

I found it a great way to meet people.

Despite us being on the rocks at the moment, we've been together a couple of years.

A word of caution though... a LOT of guys do it looking to get lucky. I found there to be some real scum out there looking to just get laid. It's not to scare you off or anything but it's the sad truth. Just don't let them get what they want right off the bat and you'll find out who's genuine and who's not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast